Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dark Chocolate v Salted Peanuts

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dark Chocolate v Salted Peanuts

Postby Watis » January 24th, 2018, 10:53 am

My choice of healthy(er) snack at the moment is Tesco's own brand mix of raw peanuts, raisins and chocolate coated (raw) peanuts.

So, little or no salt or fat and much less sugar.

Watis

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 24th, 2018, 10:54 am

Peanuts are good for you in reasonable moderation but excess salt probably not. I eat a lot of these:

https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/peanu ... t-1kg.html

They're roasted and pretty much like your ordinary peanut but with no added fats, flavourings or salt. Not expensive either!

RC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 24th, 2018, 11:29 am

The trouble with nuts is that they get into my teeth and I then spend the rest of the evening with a toothpick.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 24th, 2018, 11:44 am

Cheeky!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 24th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Nuts will always make you feel full more quickly than chocolate, because that's what high protein foods do. The trick is to stop yourself from wolfing down the whole bag of peanuts, because the salt will make you want to pig more and more of it. Maybe try (a) buying smaller bags or (b) if your self-discipline's up to it, buy the nuts in quantity and bag It up yourself?

Disclaimer: I don't have a chocolate problem, so I don't understand its attraction - it always makes me feel really s-l-o-w and h-e-a-v-y in a way that other sweet things don't. And even a little bit depressed, perhaps. I'd rather have something savoury any day. (And no, I don't have diabetes.) So take the following with a pinch of, errrrm, any condiment of your choosing:

The sat fats in the choccy are a worry, and so is the sugar. But is the much higher protein content in the peanuts bad for you?

First, an uncomfortable fact that's widely agreed. Too much protein in your diet will screw up your kidneys, big time. And there's a traditional view that you should limit your daily protein intake to 0.36 grammes per pound of body weight (around 0.8 grammes per kilo). In theory, that means that if you weigh 200 pounds you shouldn't eat more than 72 grammes of protein in a day - and effing heck, your bag of nuts has just given you 30 grammes! (That's about the same as a chicken breast, BTW.)

There is, however, an alternative emerging view that says this 0.36 grammes thing is bollox. And that the scientists who calculated it, all those years ago, were basing their sums not on the maximum dose, but the minimum - i.e., the replacement amount that your body needs to keep going if you're lying in bed and not moving a muscle for exercise. Less than that, and you'll die eventually. And that, for a normal person who's reasonably active, there's nothing wrong with 120-150 grammes of protein a day. Body builders can go beyond 200 grammes a day, apparently.

Which story do you believe? If you're on a high protein/low carb diet like me, you'll prefer the second one. If you'd rather stick to your choccy, then who am I to say that it's wrong? But everything in proportion, eh?

BJ

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”