Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Direct investment in commercial property

Would you prefer to pay for a course or have it free of charge?

Poll ended at April 6th, 2024, 6:08 pm

Pay
50%
Free
50%
Part free, part pay
No votes

Total votes: 2

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Direct investment in commercial property

Postby brightncheerful » March 30th, 2024, 5:08 pm

I am considering offering an on-line course in direct investment in commercial property. The idea is borne out of my having become concerned that inexperienced investors are overpaying for commercial property investments - and not only not getting increases at rent review but also having to accomodate losses on renewal of the lease. For example, an armchair investor having bought a property let to a national multiple retailer in a prime position paying £50,000 pa is now getting £20,000 pa because what he didn't realise was that rents in this town had fallen sharply.

I should prefer to offer the course free of charge but it occurs to me that expecting to pay for the course might attract more interest.

The course would include indirect investment, that is buying shares in property companies where the so ia ar a discount to nav but not understanding why the discount.

I'd appreciate your comments.

tia
Bnc

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Direct investment in commercial property

Postby monabri » March 30th, 2024, 6:59 pm

Are you authorised to give such courses (even free)? How would you stand if you were sued for bad advice?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 30th, 2024, 8:39 pm

Offering such a course for no monetary reward would make me wonder what is in it for you. Well maybe because we know each other on here I'd be more generous but, if I had never heard of you, those would probably be my thoughts. C.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 31st, 2024, 6:46 am

If you are really not interested in remuneration why not write up what you would be presenting (here or elsewhere on the internet) as a easy of "getting out" the information you have to share?
You have a distinctive writing style that I'm sure would lend itself well to an instructional setting.
You might be able to gauge interest and possibly garner some support for a related "in person" meetup or presentation on the back of it.
This couy be a way of taking iterative steps towards what you've got in mind presently.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 31st, 2024, 10:46 am

I suspect you might get some who signed up for the free course that just don't bother attending.

Is it interactive if not stick it on YouTube

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » April 2nd, 2024, 11:12 am

All of these are interesting and useful comments. Thank you.

I don't need to be 'authorised' to provide such a course. However, I would need to be authorised if I wanted to recommend shares to buy and sell but not to explain why an SP is at a discount.

It would make my job easier if buyers were better informed. It would also make my competitors' jobs easier for the same reason. It could reduce the cost that landlords pay for advice. For several years, I've provided free info, action and guidance on my website for investing in shop property. Much of the content originates from a booklet I used to write and sell about the subject. I sold approximately 750 booklets before I had a website; I do not know how many visitors had read it because I do not monitor response.

I have turned down an invitation to appear on a podcast (to be on YouTube) where a well-known solicitor interviews me, so I wouldn't want to do a podcast of mine.

Return to “REITs & Property Companies”