Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Which Property Company to invest in?

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Which Property Company to invest in?

Postby piccadilly » July 1st, 2017, 9:38 am

I currently have a relatively high holding in British Land and Land Securities - my investment in the former is currently "underwater" but I am enjoying the dividends.

I am considering buying Hammerson if the price continues to fall.

A colleague of mine has allocated £50k of his new SIPP to invest in property companies - he has asked for my views,not on whether property companies are a wise investment at the moment - his mind is made up,but which companies are the possible candidates.

I can only put forward the three suggestions above.

Any other suggestions?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Which Property Company to invest in?

Postby genou » July 1st, 2017, 12:16 pm

piccadilly wrote:I currently have a relatively high holding in British Land and Land Securities - my investment in the former is currently "underwater" but I am enjoying the dividends.

I am considering buying Hammerson if the price continues to fall.

A colleague of mine has allocated £50k of his new SIPP to invest in property companies - he has asked for my views,not on whether property companies are a wise investment at the moment - his mind is made up,but which companies are the possible candidates.

I can only put forward the three suggestions above.

Any other suggestions?

SRE - Sirius Real Estate ( German office space ) http://www.sirius-real-estate.com/investor-relations/

or if he will tolerate a degree of indirection, RECI, Real Estate Credit Investments, which invests in property backed debt.
http://www.recreditinvest.com/index2.html

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 1st, 2017, 11:08 pm

I have BLND and SGRO, which are radically different in their approach to properties (Offices v. Warehousing).

On my watchlist I also have Primary Heaklthcare Properties (PHP), which invests in GP's Health Centres, GCP Student Living (DIGS) which is into student accommodation, and there is also Unite Group (UTG) which provides student accommodation.

Those might offer some diversification.

TJH

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » July 2nd, 2017, 8:11 am

Thank You.

I will now study these companies.

I have heard of UNITE before and seem to remember they have appeared in a number of share tips articles.

Are there any Property Unit Trusts worth considering?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 2nd, 2017, 8:55 am

piccadilly wrote:Are there any Property Unit Trusts worth considering?

I'd say no, 'cos open ended structures don't work well with illiquid assets. During the financial crisis several property OEICs/UTs had to suspend redemptions.

It's not clear if you want specific recommendations or just a list of names to research. If the latter then you can find a list of REITs at http://www.bpf.org.uk/reits-and-property-companies and you can find a list of property investment companies (some of which are REITs and some not) by going to http://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/find-compar ... -companies and selecting one of the property sectors in AIC sector.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 2nd, 2017, 12:08 pm

mc2fool wrote:I'd say no, 'cos open ended structures don't work well with illiquid assets. During the financial crisis several property OEICs/UTs had to suspend redemptions.

morningstar and I suspect other sites can give you a list. There's rather a lot of them, but not all are open to retail investors.

http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds ... geId=en-GB

There are also property funds run by life assurance companies which may only be accessible through their life policies.

As written earlier, the suspension of redemptions by the open ended funds is within recent memory.

SKYSHIP
Lemon Slice

Re: Reply to Piccadilly...Which Property Company to invest in?

Postby SKYSHIP » July 5th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Hi Piccadilly - only just seen yr post - was too busy this end making piccalilli............

Something I do twice a year and much appreciated by many male friends as their wives don't do piccalilli,
preferring the ubiquitous sweet brown chutneys!!! :)

As to propcos.......something I know well & profit from on a regular basis.

Tell yr friend to take a look at my Commercial Property thread on ADVFN where I show the sp performance
of no less than 32 secondary/tertiary propcos.

https://uk.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=29245091

You will no doubt be aware that there is recently a new propco sub-sector: High Yielding REITS.

Amongst them are : AEWU, AEWL, CREI, DRIP, EPIC, RGL, THRL.....my preferred?.....EPIC, as management
head & shoulders above all the others, highly respected across the sector.

Other recommendation has to be Palace Capital (PCA). Look for my thread here on Lemonfool. PCA combines
a 5% yield with a 14% NAV discount and a great track record. MITON Group recently bought in; and that is a
massive vote of confidence as the Gervais Williams asset management group is rapidly gaining reputation
as one of the best in the field. FOLLOW THE MONEY.

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » July 5th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Thank you very helpful.

This and the previous post gives me a lot to go on.

I have only ever invested in British Land and Land Securities.

And looking at your answer I will now widen my horizons!

Return to “REITs & Property Companies”