Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Books on Investment

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Books on Investment

Postby Urbandreamer » February 3rd, 2024, 9:31 pm

stevensfo wrote:
kempiejon wrote:
Haven't those all been mentioned already?
Anyhow what you want to do is, try the AARP Retirement Calculator. Its user-friendly interface and comprehensive features help in estimating retirement expenses, income sources, and savings needed for a comfortable retirement. Then combine such tomes with financial advice from professionals to ensure a holistic approach, considering individual circumstances and goals for a secure retirement future.

My 'cold shower' wake-up call occurred after the financial crisis 2007-2009. Until then, all my holdings were UK companies. I explored ITs and started to take diversification a bit more seriously.

All the books mentioned are fine, but I'd add another: 'All about Asset Allocation' by Richard Ferri.

For some sobering thoughts: John Lancaster: ' Why everyone owes everyone and no one can pay'.

For some scary thoughts: Oliver Bullough: 'Moneyland. Why thieves and crooks now rule the world and how to take it back.'

Steve

PS I thought that the last book by Oliver Bullough may have been a bit exaggerated. Then I did some research about banks being taken to court, tax evasion by the powerful and the Covid PPE scandals and subsequent cover up.

Steve

To be blunt, and you won't like the comment, you are moving the topic off the thread.

I think that you and I have disagreed over bitcoin and crypto currencies, which I would argue are not investments.
Yet you move this thread about investment books solidly into that area of discussion?

OK!

Well can I suggest
https://iea.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 0Money.pdf
It seems to argue that we can't trust those that we ask rule.
Possibly a seminal book before its time?
Obviously it predates bitcoin and crypto, but argues that we should get to choose our money.

Sure if we have real property rights, we can't have redistribution and the rich may remain so. Certainly it would be outside the power of the state.

Did you really want to raise this argument?

The thread is about investment books. Books about risk and reward. NOT money or politics.

BTW I have read many of the suggested books, and others like Downwave and Zulu principle. IMHO they all have something to offer. But the world changes and said books document what worked, when they were written.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 4th, 2024, 8:37 am

Shetland was clear that he meant stock market investing in his OP. Given that focus, can anyone suggest any strategy, or book outlining any strategy, that they are confident can beat a low cost Global index tracker? If not then why not simply recommend that as an investment and save money on expensive and redundant texts?

BoE

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 4th, 2024, 9:00 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
To be blunt, and you won't like the comment, you are moving the topic off the thread.

I think that you and I have disagreed over bitcoin and crypto currencies, which I would argue are not investments.
Yet you move this thread about investment books solidly into that area of discussion?

OK!

Well can I suggest
Obviously it predates bitcoin and crypto, but argues that we should get to choose our money.

Sure if we have real property rights, we can't have redistribution and the rich may remain so. Certainly it would be outside the power of the state.

The thread is about investment books. Books about risk and reward. NOT money or politics.

BTW I have read many of the suggested books, and others like Downwave and Zulu principle. IMHO they all have something to offer. But the world changes and said books document what worked, when they were written.

Urbandreamer, I think you should have to put a virtual pound into the LF swear jar every time you intruduce crypto or BTC into an already existing thread. Who knows, those virtual pounds might be worth something one day ;)

BoE

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 4th, 2024, 9:22 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:

OK!

Well can I suggest

Urbandreamer, I think you should have to put a virtual pound into the LF swear jar every time you intruduce crypto or BTC into an already existing thread. Who knows, those virtual pounds might be worth something one day ;)

BoE

You obviously missed my point, which was that on this thread we should be talking investment, not money. Regardless of the future value of any "real" pounds saved in a jar.

Anyway, to be fair, a brief perusal of the thread seems to indicate that very many contributors like books arguing for passive investment. Possibly the reason that people read and value books is not as a manual upon how to make money, but for how they are written, the concepts espoused and the mathematical evidence.

Can I recommend the book "The Zurich Axiums"? No, it's not about index trackers. It's about stock market speculation. You won't learn how to invest wisely from it, but its a cracking read.
Another book that is not a "how to buy a passive tracker" is
The Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reminiscences- ... 91&sr=8-10
I believe that the text is out of copyright so you can probably read it for free.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » February 4th, 2024, 10:39 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
You obviously missed my point, which was that on this thread we should be talking investment, not money. Regardless of the future value of any "real" pounds saved in a jar.

Anyway, to be fair, a brief perusal of the thread seems to indicate that very many contributors like books arguing for passive investment. Possibly the reason that people read and value books is not as a manual upon how to make money, but for how they are written, the concepts espoused and the mathematical evidence.

Can I recommend the book "The Zurich Axiums"? No, it's not about index trackers. It's about stock market speculation. You won't learn how to invest wisely from it, but its a cracking read.
Another book that is not a "how to buy a passive tracker" is
The Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reminiscences- ... 91&sr=8-10
I believe that the text is out of copyright so you can probably read it for free.

Yes, there are a number of books out there that are worth reading for entertainment, if not investment, purposes. Market wizards is one such book that I own in paperback.

I think the problem, as others have pointed out, is that the investment landscape has changed in the last few decades. Markets are a lot more efficient these days so it's much harder to come up with market-beating strategies. Hence buying the whole market at low cost becomes the default.

Another book which I own is Galbraith's 'A short history of financial euphoria'. If there is one strategy that can maybe beat the market it would IMO be to avoid speculative bubbles. One comes to mind just now but I fear we may disagree ;)

BoE

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 4th, 2024, 10:52 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:Another book which I own is Galbraith's 'A short history of financial euphoria'. If there is one strategy that can maybe beat the market it would IMO be to avoid speculative bubbles. One comes to mind just now but I fear we may disagree ;)

BoE

This is not the board for me to remark upon the podcast that I am listening to, and we have agreed to limit the thread to the stock market, but one strategy might be to avoid exposure to currencies that devalue.
One method to achieve this might be to use stock market investment, rather than saving in such a currency. There are others.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 4th, 2024, 11:59 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
My 'cold shower' wake-up call occurred after the financial crisis 2007-2009. Until then, all my holdings were UK companies. I explored ITs and started to take diversification a bit more seriously.

All the books mentioned are fine, but I'd add another: 'All about Asset Allocation' by Richard Ferri.

For some sobering thoughts: John Lancaster: ' Why everyone owes everyone and no one can pay'.

For some scary thoughts: Oliver Bullough: 'Moneyland. Why thieves and crooks now rule the world and how to take it back.'

Steve

PS I thought that the last book by Oliver Bullough may have been a bit exaggerated. Then I did some research about banks being taken to court, tax evasion by the powerful and the Covid PPE scandals and subsequent cover up.

Steve

OK!

Er, may I politely suggest that you switch to decaf? ;)

Re. Bitcoin etc, perhaps you are confusing me with someone else? Any posts I made on the subject in other threads were simply to try and understand the subject and were certainly never meant to start an argument.

The thread is 'Books on Investment.' I agree that the 2nd and 3rd book I mentioned were not strictly to do with investing per se, but they certainly overlap and I found them fascinating in putting things in context. There's no harm in learning about financial crises and what goes on around us.

By the way, I made a small mistake. It's John Lanchester, not Lancaster.

To the 'All about Asset Allocation', I would add 'How to Own the World: A Plain English Guide to Thinking Globally and Investing Wisely' by Andrew Craig.

Diversification and asset allocation are areas that I wish I'd read more about when I started investing. I would have saved a lot of time.

Steve

Return to “How Do I Invest”