Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Where to put the pot

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
Toneekc

Where to put the pot

Postby Toneekc » December 22nd, 2020, 9:13 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum, after have a good look round and liking what I see, I'd love to hear your views.

I'm asking this question after speaking with PensionWise and been investing in equites over a number of years but no so much in funds.

We have access to a small pension pot (74,500) on the 2nd Feb 2021.
We don't really need it this coming year however, we would like to activate a pension around the same time the following year.

The pension plan is with Sun Life of Canada who do not deal in pensions however they work with Legal & General and point you in their direction.
Not being to overwhelmed with what L & G had to offer, (one of four funds) we have a couple of options:

a) We can leave it where it is for another 12 months.

b) Activate a pension by transferring to a pension provider, taking the tax free 25% with the rest in a drawdown pension which we think is a better option with annuity rates being so low.

(c) Transfer to a SIPP invest the money in 10 – 12 funds for 12 months see how the investments turn out and at the end of each year take out a lump sum with 25% of it tax free.

My question is, whats stoping me from taking option (c)

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Where to put the pot

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 22nd, 2020, 9:54 pm

You’ll not have seen this then? viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26891

Toneekc

Re: Where to put the pot

Postby Toneekc » December 29th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Thanks Graham

I didn't see the post, more or less the same situation.

Happy new year.

Tony

Return to “How Do I Invest”