Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Newspapers - Investment sections

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
skewwy

Newspapers - Investment sections

Postby skewwy » March 11th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Hi

To help out a young family member I am probably going to get a newspaper delivered every day. I am not a huge newpaper reader these days, but I am actually quite looking forward to having one again each day. I don't have any political alliances to worry about and I wont be reading many 'opinion' sections either. And I could mix and match what paper I get each day.

So, do particular papers have specific days when they focus on Investments/personal money etc other than the normal 'business' section.
And, overall, which newspapers generally tend to have the best investment/personal finance/business articles across the week.
Being frugal as ever I can't afford to buy the FT every day and would like to consider the i as well some days to balance up weekly cost

many thanks for any input. This will save me going out and buying lots of papers to try!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Newspapers - Investment sections

Postby bluedonkey » March 11th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Saturday's FT is aimed more at the consumer, unlike the weekday editions which are more for the City professional. There's probably a few days reading in it, so don't bother buying a daily on Monday. In fact, Monday has no market reports due to no trading at the weekend.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 12th, 2021, 10:05 am

skewwy wrote:So, do particular papers have specific days when they focus on Investments/personal money etc other than the normal 'business' section.
And, overall, which newspapers generally tend to have the best investment/personal finance/business articles across the week.
(snip)

I don't get weekday papers.

Weekend Money sections: IMHO:

• Saturday:
    • Times is good at the moment;
    • FT Money section (tabloid sized insert/supplement/section, not the main broadsheet size section) has always been reliable (James Max article alternately inspires me and pisses me off!);
    • Guardian used to be quite good but has gone off of late
  • Sunday: Times quite good, don't get the others on a Sunday

everhopeful
2 Lemon pips

Postby everhopeful » March 12th, 2021, 10:47 am

The Saturday FT and Saturday Telegraph both have Business and Money sections and enough else to fill most of the week. On a daily basis both the Times and Telegraph have financial pages with some tips etc. I am afraid I cannot comment on the Guardian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 12th, 2021, 11:46 am

I get the Weekend FT but have to say that it is often rather disappointing. It has a lot of material in it but really not a lot in its personal money section and half of that seems to be filled with ads. It is not a patch on what it used to be. I also take the Times and the Sunday Times and find that not only is the political content of the paper fairly neutral which I welcome but it has a good business section daily and at the weekend a good personal money section. I have seen people write of Questor in the Telegraph(?) but its unrelenting political support for the Conservatives puts me off athough I do like its continual digs at the SNP in its Scottish edition.

Dod

SoBo65
2 Lemon pips

Postby SoBo65 » March 13th, 2021, 9:52 am

City Am is worth a look,

https://www.cityam.com/latest-news/

in normal circumstances there is a downloadable daily edition, but currently it is viewed by the website and is totally free...

I agree that Questor in the Telegraph is good and some of the other financial articles, I subscribe to the digital edition of the times, but recently took out a £35 a year subscription to the telegraph that gives web access to all the articles (I only use the financial and travel sections), but not the digital edition of the paper which is a lot more expensive.

skewwy

Postby skewwy » March 13th, 2021, 12:06 pm

thanks for the replies.

I like the sound of that Telegraph option as an aside from a daily paper.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » March 13th, 2021, 12:23 pm

You can try out most of the papers online with very cheap introductory offers. If you subscribe with PayPal, it is very easy to cancel the recurring payment straight after signing up for the offer. The FT is £1 for the first month (but make sure you cancel else the following month is over £50). DT is free for the first month.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 13th, 2021, 7:19 pm

The Daily Mail Business/Investment/Finance section is actually rather good.

Return to “How Do I Invest”