Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Best Accounts for Trading (Shares/IT's)

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
pds2008
Lemon Pip

Best Accounts for Trading (Shares/IT's)

Postby pds2008 » July 11th, 2017, 10:48 am

Hi

I would appreciate any advice (and promise to do my own research)

I currently have a number of equity holdings in my HSBC Investdirect account (held as ISA's) and a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown.

In the next 12 months I will be semi retiring and investing another £200k to create a HYP of Shares and IT's - currently researching what to buy and when

I do not plan to regularly trade after creating the HYP but I would anticipate a level of topping up, selling, and, of course, taking my dividends.

Could someone recommend alternative trading vehicles for an individual investor in this situation. I have no problem being actively involved in the management of the HYP and doing more legwork. My priorities would be low cost and ease of access/use

Thanks in advance

P

flint
2 Lemon pips

Re: Best Accounts for Trading (Shares/IT's)

Postby flint » July 11th, 2017, 11:10 am

pds 2008

We also use HSBC ( via First Direct ) for our investments, and HL for a SIPP.

Why do you want to change?

The service for both has been excellent.

Given the sums you propose to invest, the costs are trivial at HSBC.Cheers

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » July 11th, 2017, 1:55 pm

You may get more interest from the brokers board, my felling is iWeb would be good for you. Low dealing charge, no fees and can open for £25. Been with them for many years and never had a problem with them. They have been helpful when my Mum pased away and transferring the portfolio was eased along by their excellent communication and support. I also have my SIPP with HL.

Raptor.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm

My view is that you should choose a broker which has a low fixed annual fee and reasonable dealing charges, allied with an easy to use web site. Halifax checks all the boxes, and I believe that iWeb uses their platform. I use Lloyds Sharedealing, which also uses the Halifax platform, but lacks some features which make Halifax more attractive, like cheap dealing days.

From what I hear, H-L have complicated charges and are over-rated.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 16th, 2017, 5:38 pm

I use SVS Securities. No "membership" charge just £7.95 to buy or sell. I have both the ISA and non ISA execution only accounts.

Return to “How Do I Invest”