Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Talking watch - change battery

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Talking watch - change battery

Postby stewamax » April 21st, 2018, 10:56 am

I have a Verbalise (Accutime) talking watch that needs a new battery. The instruction sheet says that after opening the rear case I should ‘pick up the battery spring (??)’ to remove the battery - a CR2032. But the battery (or it could be a battery-shaped back-plate*) also has a sticky label saying (in microscopic lettering) that before I remove the battery I should connect using tweezers the ATM MODULE (??) and BATTERY –VE (?? before removing the battery I cannot see its underside…).

Any suggestions to resolve the (??) items please.

* - an alternative (Googled) instruction sheet calls this a metal plate of + polarities.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Talking watch - change battery

Postby Itsallaguess » April 21st, 2018, 11:33 am

stewamax wrote:
Any suggestions to resolve the (??) items please.

Hmm....it does all sound a little confusing, doesn't it?

Most CR2032 batteries are inserted into some sort of round clip-holder, where the battery will 'push' onto a sprung negative connector, and then be held in place with part of the positive connector, often in the form of a spring-clip or a little metal 'bent-section' of the connector, often around the upper, outer-edge of the battery itself.

Usually, moving the spring, or 'bent-section' around the upper edge of the battery, is enough to allow the spring underneath the battery to push the battery up and out of it's circular holder, and you can then simply swap the battery out with a known good one, ensuring that the polarity is the same. One side of the battery, which covers the whole of one face with a wrap-wround edge, will be clearly marked with a big '+' sign, showing you that this side is the positive polarity side of the battery.

I've no idea what the 'ATM module' might be, and if you didn't receive any clear instructions with regards to this then I'd personally ignore that for now, and simply concentrate on swapping the battery out. As mentioned earlier, if you put the watch in a drawer overnight, and the battery was dead when you came to pick it up the next day, you'd be in exactly the same position as you would be by removing the current battery, so I'd be surprised if there's some sort of extra maintenance procedure relying on fiddly bits of extra kit.

Also, given these watches are primarily meant for people with struggling eye-sight, I really can't understand the need for microscopic instructions like that.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 21st, 2018, 11:54 am

stewamax wrote:
The instruction sheet says that after opening the rear case I should ‘pick up the battery spring (??)’ to remove the battery - a CR2032.

* - an alternative (Googled) instruction sheet calls this a metal plate of + polarities.

If these are the instructions that you've been reading -

http://manualzz.com/doc/32269567/radio- ... 1.-initial

then looking at the difference between Diagram 3a and 3b, it looks like the 'metal plate of + polarities' is simply the strip of metal across the top of the battery, that looks to pivot at one end (the bottom side when looking at the above diagrams), and is presumably 'latched' somehow onto the battery-holder on the top side (when looking at the above diagrams).

It looks from the diagrams that the two little strips in the centre of the 'plate' will be little spring-clips that push down onto the battery to keep it in position when the plate is correctly latched in position itself.

The two diagrams clearly show the metal plate flat against the battery in Diagram 3a, and then 'lifted up' after being released at the top of the bracket, which would then presumably allow you to remove the CR2032.

I agree that where they give instructions that this is a 'metal plate of + polarities' it's downright confusing though, even if it's technically correct....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 21st, 2018, 12:29 pm

I had that "metal plate of + polarities" in a restaurant once. It was nothing but trouble. I should have stuck to the pie and chips. :roll:

Seriously, this has surely got "translated from the original Chinese" written all over it? There are very few things that can go wrong when changing a simple CR2032 battery, unless the circuitry is holding a residual charge (like a car key fob might) - in which case you might be best advised to get the battery swapped within 30-40 seconds. Worst case, your watch might have "lost" the time and need resetting.

BJ

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 22nd, 2018, 10:35 am

The staff at RNIB are familiar with many talking watches - and may be able to clarify the battery replacement operation

Return to “Does anyone know?”