Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Warm bedsocks

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Warm bedsocks

Postby Jonetc15 » November 20th, 2019, 7:39 pm

As a great believer in personal recommendations (and having been disappointed with my first purchase) can anyone recommend some really warm loosefitting bedsocks for male size 12 shoe? I'll be really grateful for any suggestions.

TIA

Jon

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Warm bedsocks

Postby Itsallaguess » November 20th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:
As a great believer in personal recommendations (and having been disappointed with my first purchase) can anyone recommend some really warm loosefitting bedsocks for male size 12 shoe?

I'll be really grateful for any suggestions.

Have a look at the 'Heat Saver' thermal socks in B&M -

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/hea ... cks-325812

They are a really cheap option, especially with the '2 for £7' offer, and the one negative aspect of them in my opinion, which is that they don't last long when used as normal socks when walking, will not be an issue at all if only used as bed-socks.

Two pairs will also help with rotation through the washing, so perhaps another reason to consider the '2 for £7' offer?

Even though they've got really good thermal properties, they're still very light weight and 'loose' feeling, and so won't cause any comfort issues for your intended use, and I think you'll find them really helpful if you get cold feet in bed.

I think they are available through other retailers, so if you've not got a B&M nearby, then it will be worth checking out any other discount stores in your area.

In addition to the above, have you considered using one of the new 'microwaveable heat packs' that sct as a hot water bottle, but don't have the hassle of the water side of things?

An example here from Wilko, for a fiver, with some good customer reviews at the bottom of the page -

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-micro ... /p/0446729

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 21st, 2019, 5:26 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Have a look at the 'Heat Saver' thermal socks in B&M -

They are a really cheap option, especially with the '2 for £7' offer, and the one negative aspect of them in my opinion, which is that they don't last long when used as normal socks when walking, will not be an issue at all if only used as bed-socks.

Two pairs will also help with rotation through the washing, so perhaps another reason to consider the '2 for £7' offer?

Even though they've got really good thermal properties, they're still very light weight and 'loose' feeling, and so won't cause any comfort issues for your intended use, and I think you'll find them really helpful if you get cold feet in bed.

I think they are available through other retailers, so if you've not got a B&M nearby, then it will be worth checking out any other discount stores in your area.

In addition to the above, have you considered using one of the new 'microwaveable heat packs' that sct as a hot water bottle, but don't have the hassle of the water side of things?

An example here from Wilko, for a fiver, with some good customer reviews at the bottom of the page -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Very many thanks indeed, Itsallaguess, for your time and trouble in replying so promptly and helpfully. Quite simply, I'll certainly try out the thermal socks from B&M, and as a fan of hot water bottles I'll also follow up the intriguing suggestion of 'microwaveable heat packs'. I'll report back in due course.

Meanwhile I'm sure that as a prolific and seasoned contributor to TLF you won't mind if I take this opportunity to ask others who frequent these boards whether they can suggest bedsocks that solve the problem of keeping feet with poor circulation warm.

All the very best

Jon

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 21st, 2019, 8:40 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:you won't mind if I take this opportunity to ask others who frequent these boards whether they can suggest bedsocks that solve the problem of keeping feet with poor circulation warm.

Not a specific recommendation, but have a search on "Raynaud's Disease silver socks" . My OH has poor circulation and silver gloves work well for her hands. I'd gamble they won't be the cheapest, but the RD website does offer them, and there is reason to believe they work -

https://srukshop.co.uk/

Microwaveable heat packs are a godsend. Otherwise I end up functioning as a biological heat pack.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » November 22nd, 2019, 10:03 am

I take an opposite position.

I used to suffer from cold feet in bed, no more.

Instead of wearing nice warm slippers I wear sandals in the house,so my feet are "used" to being cool. and there's no big change when I go to bed.

Rob

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » November 22nd, 2019, 7:05 pm

genou wrote:...Not a specific recommendation, but have a search on "Raynaud's Disease silver socks" . My OH has poor circulation and silver gloves work well for her hands. I'd gamble they won't be the cheapest, but the RD website does offer them, and there is reason to believe they work -

https://srukshop.co.uk/

Microwaveable heat packs are a godsend. Otherwise I end up functioning as a biological heat pack.

Very many thanks indeed genou. Most grateful. I'll also follow this up and report back!

Jon

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 28th, 2019, 10:23 am

I just use hiking socks, but they must be wool, and best one size bigger than usual shoe size.

The best pair I still wear were knitted by my mother for use when I went on an expedition, 45 years ago. She always tended to knit things at least one size bigger than necessary. Presumably in case I continued to grow.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » November 28th, 2019, 5:09 pm

F&F at Tesco - 2 pairs for £7. Size 9 to 12 so might be a bit tight for your size 12 feet.

Saw the on-store yesterday. They were in a sort of grey camouflage pattern and probably 100% polyamide (I'm really selling these aren't I!)

Off topic - I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere about elephants. I know these ones:
How do you know an elephant's been sleeping in your bed? There's a big 'E' embroidered on the pyjamas.
How can you tell an elephant's been hiding in your fridge? Footprints in the butter.
There's got to be one for grey camouflage bedsocks. Anyone?

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 13th, 2020, 9:58 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote:
As a great believer in personal recommendations (and having been disappointed with my first purchase) can anyone recommend some really warm loosefitting bedsocks for male size 12 shoe?

I'll be really grateful for any suggestions.

Have a look at the 'Heat Saver' thermal socks in B&M -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I said that I would report back on progress after looking into the very interesting suggestions. I apologise for not doing this due to a chronic medical problem and other preoccupations. In fact I have two pairs of large bedsocks. I really do intend to get around to ordering suggested items off the internet.

Very many apologies if I sound ungrateful for this and other replies, for which I send many thanks. I would be very dismayed to think that anyone would feel that they had wasted time giving advice.

All the very best for 2020.

Jon

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 13th, 2020, 10:18 am

Jonetc15 wrote:
I said that I would report back on progress after looking into the very interesting suggestions. I apologise for not doing this due to a chronic medical problem and other preoccupations.

Well I'm glad that you've resurrected this thread Jon, as it's reminded me that I wanted to come back to it with another recommendation for warm socks anyway!

These are general day-wear socks though, as I think they'd not pass the 'need to be baggy' requirement for bed-socks, but as outdoor socks they are proving to be brilliant this winter.

They are 'Quechua Arpenaz Warm Merino Wool Hiking Socks', from Decathlon, and can be ordered online for just £9.99 a pair -

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mid-socks-sh500-u-warm-black-id_8346510.html

Whilst they are sold as 'Merino', it's only the foot of the socks that are made of wool, but I'll forgive them this slight over-selling aspect given that they do such a good job of keeping my feet warm, and without the usual sweatiness that some of my 'winter socks' can sometimes produce.

I ordered mine for 'Click and collect' delivery to a local Asda, which worked very well, and if anyone is looking for warm outdoor socks this winter then I can recommend the above wholeheartedly.

Jonetc15 wrote:
All the very best for 2020.

And all the very best to you too Jon.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » January 13th, 2020, 11:40 am

Ditto to wanting to return to this thread and post a recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

2 pairs of thermal socks for £4.47 from Amazon.

When they first arrived I thought they seemed cheap but they actually work a treat for bedtime use. I keep them in my bedside drawer for convenience. They are not 'day to day' thermal socks for walking, but they did work while watching my daughter play football in the freezing cold. :|

Return to “Does anyone know?”