Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Quarantine after travel

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
BenValue

Quarantine after travel

Postby BenValue » July 3rd, 2020, 4:34 pm

I live and work in England. I have to go to a wedding in Sweden on 18 July. I must therefore isolate for 14 days.

Would it be possible for me to fly from Sweden to Spain and stay there for 14 days so that I would not need to isolate in England upon my return?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Quarantine after travel

Postby Lootman » July 3rd, 2020, 6:24 pm

BenValue wrote:I live and work in England. I have to go to a wedding in Sweden on 18 July. I must therefore isolate for 14 days.

Would it be possible for me to fly from Sweden to Spain and stay there for 14 days so that I would not need to isolate in England upon my return?

I would have thought that you will arrive back in the UK from a country that does not require quarantine, and so there are no restrictions. (*)

It really depends on what questions the UK authorities ask you when you return. Will they ask where you have just travelled from? Or every country you have visited while away?

I have the same issue later this month with a trip to the US. I will have to figure out whether to return via a third country, or just take my chances at Heathrow.

All that said, unless you really want to spend 2 weeks in Spain, wouldn't you rather just be in your house? I believe you will still be allowed out to buy food and other essential trips, so it isn't that different from how things have been for a few months now anyway.

(*) I did find this reference which might apply: "It’s worth noting that if you are a national of one of the 59 exempt countries but have travelled to a non-exempt country in the past 14 days, you will still be subject to the 14-day self-isolation requirement when arriving in England." That indicates it is only the last 14 days that matter.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm

I'd be surprised if Spain would accept a non national from Sweden. Likewise for travel to the USA. If these places are high risk why would they want to let you in.......I shouldn't think the locals would be very happy to see you either.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 3rd, 2020, 9:08 pm

richlist wrote:I'd be surprised if Spain would accept a non national from Sweden. Likewise for travel to the USA. If these places are high risk why would they want to let you in.......I shouldn't think the locals would be very happy to see you either.

The thing with the US is that the infection rate varies enormously depending on where you are. That is why there are even restrictions on travel from some parts of the US to other parts if it. New York and Chicago both have lists of States that they will not accept visitors from just as with different countries here. In general the South is doing worse than the North.

My destination there has a low infection rate, and certainly lower than the UK, so I am not concerned

Return to “Does anyone know?”