Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Shipping items overseas

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Shipping items overseas

Postby MyNameIsUrl » April 7th, 2021, 11:51 am

I need to send some items internationally, door-to-door, and so I’m looking to find a service either by sea or air. Can anyone recommend such a service?

I thought it would be simple to find a Hermes-type organisation who operated internationally, but I’m finding either services to send a suitcase ahead of a holiday, or a top-end executive relocation service which wants to pack every item individually and charge accordingly. I need something in-between.

To give an idea of what I’m sending, there are a couple of suitcases, some boxes of books, and two small cabinets (each about the size of a domestic washing machine). The whole lot would fit in a small van and weighs well under 100kg.

Surely people and organisations are sending individual freight items abroad all the time? Can anyone recommend a service please, ideally door-to-door and managing the customs paperwork?

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Shipping items overseas

Postby dionaeamuscipula » April 7th, 2021, 12:33 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I need to send some items internationally, door-to-door, and so I’m looking to find a service either by sea or air. Can anyone recommend such a service?

I thought it would be simple to find a Hermes-type organisation who operated internationally, but I’m finding either services to send a suitcase ahead of a holiday, or a top-end executive relocation service which wants to pack every item individually and charge accordingly. I need something in-between.

To give an idea of what I’m sending, there are a couple of suitcases, some boxes of books, and two small cabinets (each about the size of a domestic washing machine). The whole lot would fit in a small van and weighs well under 100kg.

Surely people and organisations are sending individual freight items abroad all the time? Can anyone recommend a service please, ideally door-to-door and managing the customs paperwork?

You could try these guys:

https://despatchpoint.com/

I use them for commercial work rather than domestic, have found them very helpful. They use people like DHL to do the actual transportation stuff.

DM

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 8th, 2021, 8:45 am

Domestic removals? The bigger companies such as Pickfords will do that. At least, so long as you're sufficiently flexible over timing for them to schedule your stuff together with other jobs to make up a load for a big lorry.

I guess that might work better for some overseas destinations than others. Mine was mainstream (just outside Rome), which presumably helped with finding enough jobs to achieve decent economies of scale.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 8th, 2021, 9:42 am

100kg is a bit much for the couriers.

Would your load fit on a pallet? There are box-pallets, or just wrap it in plastic. There are many companies offering international pallet dispatch. Within Europe it is surprisingly cheap. Less so for further afield. But it means they're handling just one item, rather than lots of different boxes, which keeps the cost down.

Gryff

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » April 8th, 2021, 11:32 am

Before I retired a few years ago, I used to send pallets using these people:

https://www.palletline.co.uk

I was sending pallets of printing plates, heavy items. They did a good job and were surprisingly cheap, but my experience is out of date.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » April 8th, 2021, 12:31 pm

At a slight tangent, might be an idea to request an EORI number ahead of making any arrangements:
https://www.gov.uk/eori

Costs nothing to request, can get one in a "personal" capacity as an individual or trader, or on behalf of an incorporated company or partnership.
If you turns out you don't need one, keep a note of it for the time when you do.

PochiSoldi

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Postby cavebat » April 8th, 2021, 10:53 pm

Not a personal endorsement but have a look at Mail Boxes Etc -
https://www.mbe.co.uk

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » April 9th, 2021, 9:08 am

see if you can find an 'expats' website in whichever country you wanting to send to
they usually have many folk going back n forth

Portugal for example has this and is very useful for many people who need a van load or part.

Return to “Does anyone know?”