Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Help! Just swallowed a prune stone

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Help! Just swallowed a prune stone

Postby Jonetc15 » December 6th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Sorry to panic, but I've just swallowed a prune stone. I'm in my (very) late 70s. A decade ago I had a major problem with a kidney stone, which required a Lithotripsy to sort it out. I've had a heart problem and take Warfarin and gather that a general anaesthetic is almost certainly out. I'm on a massive amount of medication for Parkinson's.

Please can someone comment on the chances of a prune stone passing naturally through my system.

TIA for any replies.

Jon

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Help! Just swallowed a prune stone

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 6th, 2021, 2:01 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:Sorry to panic, but I've just swallowed a prune stone. I'm in my (very) late 70s. A decade ago I had a major problem with a kidney stone, which required a Lithotripsy to sort it out. I've had a heart problem and take Warfarin and gather that a general anaesthetic is almost certainly out. I'm on a massive amount of medication for Parkinson's.

Please can someone comment on the chances of a prune stone passing naturally through my system.

TIA for any replies.

Jon

Don't worry. A quick search on Google suggests that nature will take it's course, especially if you eat some more prunes :)

RC

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » December 6th, 2021, 2:08 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote:Sorry to panic, but I've just swallowed a prune stone. I'm in my (very) late 70s. A decade ago I had a major problem with a kidney stone, which required a Lithotripsy to sort it out. I've had a heart problem and take Warfarin and gather that a general anaesthetic is almost certainly out. I'm on a massive amount of medication for Parkinson's.

TIA for any replies.

Jon

Don't worry. A quick search on Google suggests that nature will take it's course, especially if you eat some more prunes :)

RC

Very many thanks RC for such swift reassurance. I'm taking the precaution of getting medical advice. Much appreciate your trouble in searching and replying.

ATB

Jon

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 6th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:.... I had a major problem with a kidney stone...

That is a completely different section of plumbing, with narrow tubes. The prune stone cannot go anywhere near that. It just has to navigate your digestive tract, a much wider set of tubes.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » December 6th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Breelander wrote:
Jonetc15 wrote:.... I had a major problem with a kidney stone...

That is a completely different section of plumbing, with narrow tubes. The prune stone cannot go anywhere near that. It just has to navigate your digestive tract, a much wider set of tubes.

Very many thanks indeed Breelander. I'm always astonished how quickly and often you come up with a reply to all sorts of questions. I'm most grateful.

Jon

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 6th, 2021, 2:37 pm

TIA for any replies.

Jon

100% chance of it coming out the other end.
The digestive system is basically a tube with an opening at either end. Stuff goes in one end, passes through and out the other end - and unless it is microscopic, it can't pass into the blood stream or anywhere else.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » December 6th, 2021, 3:21 pm

absolutezero wrote:

TIA for any replies.

Jon

100% chance of it coming out the other end.
The digestive system is basically a tube with an opening at either end. Stuff goes in one end, passes through and out the other end - and unless it is microscopic, it can't pass into the blood stream or anywhere else.

Thank you very much indeed, absolute zero, for such a categorical assurance. I'm really grateful.

All the very best

Jon

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 6th, 2021, 6:21 pm

Agreed. A kidney stone is something completely different.

The prune stone will come out.

However, lay off the beans, raw onion etc for a few days, unless you want a very embarrassing accident, a loud ricochet and a group of armed police surrounding the house! :lol:

Steve

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 6th, 2021, 7:23 pm

As George Harrison said "All things must pass!"

(Includes prune stones).

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » December 6th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Surely a plum stone is 'designed' to be swallowed. That way it'll eventually pass through and get planted some way from the tree (along with a dollop of fertilizer). Mind you, I'm not entirely sure if a prune stone would grow!

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 6th, 2021, 8:35 pm

Stompa wrote:Surely a plum stone is 'designed' to be swallowed. That way it'll eventually pass through and get planted some way from the tree (along with a dollop of fertilizer). Mind you, I'm not entirely sure if a prune stone would grow!

Interesting through process.
And yes. Seeds in edible plants are "meant" to be swallowed.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 6th, 2021, 8:39 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Stompa wrote:Surely a plum stone is 'designed' to be swallowed. That way it'll eventually pass through and get planted some way from the tree (along with a dollop of fertilizer). Mind you, I'm not entirely sure if a prune stone would grow!

Interesting through process.
And yes. Seeds in edible plants are "meant" to be swallowed.

Careful with those avocados though...

Scott.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 7th, 2021, 12:19 am

Interestingly you are more likely to get kidney stones from spinach than prunes. Digesting spinach metabolises into oxalate, which if it doesn't encounter enough e.g. calcium in the gut can make its way into the bloodstream and from there to the kidneys. If it encounters e.g. calcium there it can bind with it to produce a solid. This can build up to become a kidney stone.

To avoid kidney stones a) drink plenty of water, b) avoid foodstuffs that metabolise large amounts of oxalate (like spinach), and c) consume moderate calcium supplements when eating so that any metabolised oxalate combines within the gut to form a solid to head on down (along with any prune stones sharing the same journey).

Chris

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » December 7th, 2021, 8:12 am

FAO Scott

Careful with those avocados though...

if you swllow an avocado stone I woud recommend eating many prunes!

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » December 7th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Wimp.com - December 4th "British granny remembers a disastrous Christmas". Wait for the punchline.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 7th, 2021, 2:55 pm

I saw this post had jumped to top of "New Posts"
and disappointingly nature does not seem to have it course yet

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » December 7th, 2021, 9:21 pm

csearle wrote:Interestingly you are more likely to get kidney stones from spinach than prunes. Digesting spinach metabolises into oxalate, which if it doesn't encounter enough e.g. calcium in the gut can make its way into the bloodstream and from there to the kidneys. If it encounters e.g. calcium there it can bind with it to produce a solid. This can build up to become a kidney stone.

To avoid kidney stones a) drink plenty of water, b) avoid foodstuffs that metabolise large amounts of oxalate (like spinach), and c) consume moderate calcium supplements when eating so that any metabolised oxalate combines within the gut to form a solid to head on down (along with any prune stones sharing the same journey).

Chris

Thank you very much indeed, Chris, for your excellent advice - not for the first time. I'm tremendously grateful as I'm keen to do anything that will reduce the chance of another kidney stone.

All the very best

Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » December 7th, 2021, 9:23 pm

pje16 wrote:I saw this post had jumped to top of "New Posts"
and disappointingly nature does not seem to have it course yet

I'm not able as yet to give you any feedback...

Jon

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 7th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:Thank you very much indeed...
My pleasure Jon. I have had two kidney stones. One removed under general anaesthetic by venturing up there with a grabber (I'm told), and the other through extra-corporeal shockwave lithotripsy (eventually, and painfully, excreted via the uretha).

Regards,
Chris

Return to “Does anyone know?”