Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Site with historic share prices going back several years?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Site with historic share prices going back several years?

Postby mc2fool » July 1st, 2022, 1:36 pm

tlf67482 wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:If you have a gmail account, it's pretty easy to generate historic prices in a Google sheet, using the google finance functions. I have one that covers the FTAS and a few indices, it was pretty easy to make. A drop down box to pick the share or index from a list, another to choose daily or weekly prices and 2 cells for the start and end dates. The data can the be easily copied into another spreadsheet such as Excel if required
If the Google Finance site is anything to go by it looks like they also adjusted the figures so historical data is meaningless. I am happy to be proven wrong though - I guess the data provided in Sheets may be different.

Lloyds Bank has certainly been £8 and £7 in the past and also have recollections of it peaking at over £10/share but if the graphs on Google Finance are anything to go by Lloyds Bank has barely hit £5/share at the peak.

I understand they do this to get the graphs to work but unless they provide details on what they have done to the figures the data is useless.

If you can't get figures out that "match" contract notes I do not see how it can be trusted.

No, it's neither meaningless nor useless, it's the prices adjusted for the subsequent corporate actions, which is, in effect, the real price paid per share.

As noted above, Lloyds themselves adjust their figures also, and if you want a reliable source for LLOY historical prices, at least back to the beginning of 2007, their website would almost certainly be the best.

Methinks you are looking at this the wrong way round. It is your contract notes that (now) cannot be trusted, as they have unadjusted info in them.

You asked earlier how you go from the price in your contract note to the adjusted price shown on Yahoo/Google/etc, and the best source for that is the company's regulatory announcements. For the LLOY rights issue see "Rights Issue Factor" in their 27-Nov-2009 RNS.

However, I think I've found a source that might make you happy, at least for looking up prices on a particular day, albeit not for downloading them over a period. It's the London Stock Exchange. Go to the LLOY page there:

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/stock/LLOY/lloyds-banking-group-plc/company-page

And then choose "Max" for the period for the chart to cover. You'll note, as you roll the mouse over the chart, that it gives you monthly figures, and that it peaks at just over a fiver in April 1999. So, that's obviously also adjusted figures. Even the London Stock Exchange does it...

However, if you change that "Max" to "Custom" and stick in the popup From 1999-01-01 To 1999-12-31 and click Submit Query you'll find that the whole chart is between 600p and 800p and that if you roll the mouse over it you get daily figures, and that it peaks at 809.44 on 13-Apr-99. So that's obviously unadjusted figures.

Indeed, on a quick play it appears that as long as you set the To date to before 2009 it will show unadjusted figures. Further playing with it is left as an exercise for the reader.... ;)

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Re: Site with historic share prices going back several years?

Postby tlf67482 » July 5th, 2022, 10:57 am

Just want to pass on specific thanks as at times I feel just clicking the thumbs up is not enough :D

mc2fool wrote:You asked earlier how you go from the price in your contract note to the adjusted price shown on Yahoo/Google/etc, and the best source for that is the company's regulatory announcements. For the LLOY rights issue see "Rights Issue Factor" in their 27-Nov-2009 RNS.

This is fantastic as the "adjustment" factor I was using was 0.66 and that seemed to allow me to match to my old contract notes.
This nicely matches up with the RNS announcement figure - I can use a precise figure now.

This however brings up why I am having so much trouble with this single "adjustment" factor made in Nov 2009.
It fixes nearly a decades of past history so why didn't the Lloyds Bank corporate actions that happened in June 2009 (0.62 new shares for 1 old), May 2009 (1 new for 40 old) and Dec 2008 (0.43 new for 1 old) need a "rights issue factor" applied? Is it perhaps because these corporate actions were not "Rights Issues"? IIRC they used the wording of placing, open offer and capitalisation.

Moving to other shares - is what I need to do is track down anything that specifically says Rights Issue anything else (apart from splits which I already make a note of) should not cause historical price issues?

mc2fool wrote:No, it's neither meaningless nor useless, it's the prices adjusted for the subsequent corporate actions, which is, in effect, the real price paid per share.

Some of this is frustration. I am understanding slightly better now but until I can get all my figures matching up I feel I still have much pain to go. Are there any resources for finding historical prices and corporate action information for no longer traded and sometimes very old shares?

mc2fool wrote:However, I think I've found a source that might make you happy, at least for looking up prices on a particular day, albeit not for downloading them over a period. It's the London Stock Exchange. Go to the LLOY page there:Indeed, on a quick play it appears that as long as you set the To date to before 2009 it will show unadjusted figures. Further playing with it is left as an exercise for the reader.... ;)

It is also worth noting regardless of what dates you enter the x axis always includes later dates to the current date rather than what you have specified which is damn confusing. I can't make my mind up if it is outputting the contract note price reliably or not. Certainly useful though.

Thanks

Return to “Does anyone know?”