Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A FTSE 1000 compendium?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
elephanthunt11
Lemon Pip

A FTSE 1000 compendium?

Postby elephanthunt11 » August 8th, 2022, 11:18 pm

Hi all,

I’m currently ready Guy Thomas’ Free Capital, and in it one of the people he interviews mentions how he will read Hemscott’s Company Guide (which was purchased by Morningstar over a decade ago) for new ideas.

I am looking for an annually published manual of companies listed in the UK with descriptions of companies and maybe research.

Similar to the US’ ValueLine series.

Does something like this exist?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: A FTSE 1000 compendium?

Postby Itsallaguess » August 9th, 2022, 5:47 am

elephanthunt11 wrote:
I’m currently ready Guy Thomas’ Free Capital, and in it one of the people he interviews mentions how he will read Hemscott’s Company Guide (which was purchased by Morningstar over a decade ago) for new ideas.

I am looking for an annually published manual of companies listed in the UK with descriptions of companies and maybe research.

Similar to the US’ ValueLine series.

Does something like this exist?

Perhaps not quite what you're looking for in terms of underlying details, but hopefully useful as a starting point -

http://www.stockchallenge.co.uk/ftse.php

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: A FTSE 1000 compendium?

Postby bungeejumper » August 9th, 2022, 11:00 am

I wrote one of these in pre-internet days, more than 30 years ago. It was fun, but exhausting. The way I remember it, quite a lot of the info came from either Hemscott, or from Price Waterhouse. And we were publishing in hardback format. :lol:

These days, I'd imagine that an annually-published guide would always be six to eighteen months out of date with the kind of gritty detail that a value investor would be looking for. And these days, I don't know of any website that systematically does this sort of thing in a top-down comparative sort of way. Better, surely, to read the various tipsheets etc with your most sceptical eye :twisted: , and to follow through on any prospects with intensive news-based research. (FT, Bloomberg, Morningstar etc.) If there were short cuts to making a fortune in smaller companies, everyone else would have adopted them long ago. :|

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”