Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Problem keeping feet warm

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Problem keeping feet warm

Postby Jonetc15 » February 11th, 2018, 7:34 pm

I have poor circulation and find it difficult to keep my feet warm when reading or watching t.v. My only way to do so at the moment is to wear my ‘Northwest Territory’ walking boots/shoes. I’ll be very grateful indeed for any suggestions for an alternative, preferably from a fellow sufferor...

TIA

Jon

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Problem keeping feet warm

Postby richlist » February 11th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Thick socks and fleece lined slippers......or get underfloor heating. Either work for people i know have the problem.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I find, even with efficient central heating, the floor is the coldest part of the room.

Have you tried running a fan? Not with the heater element turned on, just blowing air to mix the warm air from higher up with the colder air at ground level.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » February 11th, 2018, 8:32 pm

I have the contradictory condition that as long as I'm moving and doing something - even quite mild sort of 'doing something' my feet tend to be extremely hot but if I sit to read or watch TV especially with my feet up (and I do try to do some feet up sitting because of a history of nasty consequences in my family because of varicose veins and ulcers and so forth) my feet become icy within minutes.

The best solution I've found is an old duvet (with a cover which can be easily washed) thrown over my legs and feet while sitting with my feet up. If I want to put my feet down for a while I put the duvet over my knees and let the rest hang down around my legs and also rest on the floor and actually place my feet on the bit of duvet on the floor (which is why I emphasised the idea of the washable cover especially as I have cats shedding hair everywhere). My floor is not really cold as it is cork tiled but the layer of duvet beneath your feet makes a remarkable difference, plus the duvet keeping your legs warm also helps warm your feet.

If the problem is really bad I would suggest you take seriously the idea someone else suggested of a sort of electrically heated foot muff. The electricity consumption for such things is very small but the results can be very good. I now have a heated duvet because of this general problem of warm while I'm even slightly active and then freezing cold if I'm lying relatively still. It is a wonderful thing for someone like me with arthritic joints, the difference it makes to your sleep is remarkable and I don't believe it adds that much to bills given that with sliding under your heated duvet you don't have to worry much about the temperature of the room and heating a quilt is much cheaper than heating a room. If you happen to have cats who share your bed it is only fair to point out that they love sleeping on top of a heated duvet for obvious reasons. I'd think one of those electrically heated foot muff things would cost very little in electricity but add greatly to your wellbeing.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » February 11th, 2018, 9:04 pm

I get cold feet, so in bed wear bed socks, ski socks or hiking socks. Sometimes I also have to resort to a microwave hottie (basically a hot water bottle).
When watching TV I will wear one of the above, along with fluffy bootie slippers and also a blankie (a wool blanket I tuck my feet into. I have a lap dog (all 15kg worth!), so use her as a further source of heat.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » February 12th, 2018, 10:09 am

Very many thanks indeed for the time and trouble that you have all taken to help me, in one instance at considerable length, but all really supportive. You have given me lots to research and I’m most grateful.

ATB

Jon

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 12th, 2018, 10:36 am

A quick boost for blood circulation is to stand in a shower or bathtub and for couple of minutes rinse your feet with ice cold water and hot water. Start with hot, do 15 seconds, then cold water, etc. Quick changes from hot to cold to hot.

I also have a poor circulation in feet, my feet get itchy when they are cold and this helps for the rest of the evening.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » February 12th, 2018, 10:44 am

I used to have this problem, and would sometimes soak my feet in hot water, then put on clean dry socks.

The solution for me has been to stop wearing shoes indoors. I wear thick socks with sandals, or slipper socks. My theory is that feet (mine anyway) don't like being in a clammy confined space (shoes).

twotwo22
Lemon Pip

Postby twotwo22 » February 12th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Do you take ANY meds for anything ? Check side effects and consider change.
A migraine med was the cause of my cold feet and hands.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » February 13th, 2018, 5:21 pm

I have cold feet when I go fishing in winter. It's more to do with being inactive in cold weather rather than having a circulation problem. Merino wool socks can help greatly. I find these particularly good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartwool-Adul ... wool+socks

Expensive but worth it. If that doesn't do it wear them over a pair of liner socks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridgedale-Eve ... socks+mens

Hope that helps.

ClaudiusTheIdiot
Lemon Pip

Postby ClaudiusTheIdiot » February 13th, 2018, 10:40 pm

I wear boots that look like these
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/snow/wi ... ew_size=20
though the brand is Snow so not sure whether they have the same construction. Soft fabric outer with a fairly thick foam lining. Comfortable, warmer than my walking boots but not super insulated. I wear them mostly indoors sitting at a desk, occasionally outdoors dry, but I don't give them any rough treatment. I paid a little under 30GBP a year ago, though some are quite a lot more.

I wear two pairs of socks, one thin one thick.

A caution is some similar looking boots I tried years ago, which had a high rigid arch support. After half a day's wear indoors I couldn't walk without pain for several weeks.

AllYourBase

Postby AllYourBase » February 14th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Loir
2 Lemon pips

Postby Loir » February 14th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Both my wife and I have wheat bags which we heat in the microwave. We find them good for keeping warm specially for awkward places like feet.
(Good for neck and back pain my wife tells me.)

Steve

Return to “Does anyone know?”