Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Artificial Grass

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Artificial Grass

Postby Devjon » February 23rd, 2018, 2:40 pm

We are in the situation that our daughter and her six month old daughter are now back living with us for the foreseeable future.
There is an extension at the back of the house with Patio doors that open onto a 4.5 x 3 metre patio with paving stones. The area is in reasonably good condition but the paving stones are showing their age.

I was thinking about covering the area with artificial grass and putting up some sort of fence around the perimeter as there is an 8" drop from the patio to the rest of the garden, the idea being that it will be a safe play area for our granddaughter when she starts crawling.
I've started looking online and there is a bewildering choice of products, underlays etc, I'd like to get a good quality product and I'm reasonably handy so doing it myself doesn't seem too onerous.

I'd be grateful for any advice from fellow LF's

Devjon

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Re: Artificial Grass

Postby Meatyfool » February 23rd, 2018, 4:02 pm

We have artificial grass over a concrete base for our disabled son (he is 12). This is for a sensory experience rather as a safety covering. Whether you want to place anything under the grass is really a decision based on your family's "safety sense". Don't know how best to explain myself, but you sit somewhere on the spectrum characterised by the extremes of the farmer's child wallowing in mud and the anxious anti-bac carrying worrier! If you see what I mean.

Personally, the fence seems overkill, but you haven't mentioned what she would fall onto if she fell over. Grass?

Meatyfool..

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » February 23rd, 2018, 6:28 pm

Many thanks Meatyfool,

We're more Farmers field than antiseptic hand wash :-)

The Patio edge has a drop of about 8" down onto gravel, I thought a balustrade would prevent our granddaughter from perhaps taking a tumble.
Looking at the garden with fresh eyes it all looks a bit grey with paving stones and gravel leading down to the shed. There are borders of course but not enough green.

Ideally we'd like the artificial grass to look as natural as possible and as maintenance free as possible also.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » February 23rd, 2018, 8:55 pm

Devjon wrote: the idea being that it will be a safe play area for our granddaughter when she starts crawling.
....there is a bewildering choice of products, underlays etc,

For underlay I would deffo go for something of this standard http://neograss.co.uk/product/artificia ... -shockpad/

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » February 26th, 2018, 2:29 pm

On a projecct 15 months, our landscaping subcontractor provided Augusta artificial grass. 40 mm pile height with a tri-colour mix. 5 year guarantee.
Cost was about £75/m2 + VAT. That didn't include initial preparation of the surface but did include a layer of sand under the grass, weed membrane, tapes, nails, fixing etc.

This looks similar, has the same name but slightly different spec: https://www.artificialgrassdirect.co.uk ... usta-38mm/

Return to “Does anyone know?”