Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Good insurance

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Good insurance

Postby Lanark » March 22nd, 2018, 12:00 am

Can anyone recommend a good company for contents insurance?

I have been with Direct Line for more years than I can remember, but as a result of recent experience (trying to make a claim with them) and also reading some reviews I think it is now time to move on.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest quote, more interested in a company who will actually treat customers reasonably well when making a claim.

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Re: Good insurance

Postby paullidd » March 22nd, 2018, 7:49 am

I have been swapping mine annualy between Natwest and Tesco, this has worked reasonably well at keeping the cost increases down.

This year Natwest price went up quite a bit, which they tried to justify by saying the same price would be held for three years. I pointed out to them that their list of reasons why they wouldn't hold the price as stated in their T&C's meant it was almost certain not to be held.

So this year I stayed with the Tesco.

I think that no matter who you are insured with, there are actually only two or three underwriters for the whole buildings/contents market.

Paul

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 22nd, 2018, 8:32 am

I have found Aviva very reasonable, and although I've not yet had to make a claim, they appear to be well regarded as far as dealing fairly with claims is concerned.

And Quidco often have quite good cashback deals when moving to Aviva.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 22nd, 2018, 9:06 am

Check the reviews for any insurer. You'll see a mix of good and bad, with little in the middle.

Look more closely, all the bad reviews are from people who've tried to claim, all the good reviews from those who haven't.

That is, unless something most implausible has happened since I last shopped around.

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Postby paullidd » March 22nd, 2018, 10:09 am

I'd like to point out that I have made two claims on house insurance. One for burglary and one for a fallen tree on another property that demolished my neighbours wall from which debris demolished part of my garden wall.

Both claims were settled satisfactorily and in reasonable time. :D

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » March 22nd, 2018, 11:50 am

I've only made a claim for contents once and that was after a water leak from a bathroom damaged furniture in the room below. A loss adjuster came to our house and went through our claim with us. We were unable to match the furniture like for like so found something we wanted that happened to be on sale and the loss adjusters were happy to accommodate us. Everything went through smoothly.
The insurer was Aviva.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 22nd, 2018, 1:36 pm

We are insured through Castle Cover. When we had a flood due to problems with downstairs loo they were most helpful, claim settled and floor relaid within a week. They didn't raise our premiums and we've remained on the same rate for four years. One satisfoed customer.

R6

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Postby paullidd » March 22nd, 2018, 1:38 pm

I think generally that premiums are only increased if you have two or more claims in a three year period. I had two claims seperated by two years, so had one year of raised premiums.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » March 22nd, 2018, 3:09 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:We are insured through Castle Cover. When we had a flood due to problems with downstairs loo they were most helpful, claim settled and floor relaid within a week. They didn't raise our premiums and we've remained on the same rate for four years. One satisfoed customer.

R6

castlecover: Sorry... We no longer offer Home insurance to new customers.

The review sites do seem to be universally useless - TrustPilot has every company as terrible 1/5, while Feefo has all the same companies with 4 or 5 star ratings.

The Telegraph have a useful summary of insurance companies, Google for:
The-best-and-worst-insurance-companies-revealed

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » March 22nd, 2018, 5:37 pm

Lanark wrote:The review sites do seem to be universally useless - TrustPilot has every company as terrible 1/5, while Feefo has all the same companies with 4 or 5 star ratings.

TrustPilot reviews are probably done by people who've made a claim
Feefo reviews are probably done by people who either haven't made a claim, or have only had insurance with the provider for a short period.

Return to “Does anyone know?”