Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

shortened Agatha Christie stories

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

shortened Agatha Christie stories

Postby didds » April 2nd, 2018, 10:09 pm

Ive taken to listening to youtube radio plays when I got to bed. I've recenetly started to listen to agatha christrie stories in this manner.

the problem is they are all about 90 minutes to two ho0urs long and i fall asllep throughout them! That in ityself would be fine and undersdtandable exacpt so much of each radio play is really quite redundant waffle. So i was wondering if ... DAK of a online source of shorteed/abridged radio play like agatha christies where all the pertinent stuff is in it with a little colour so its not just a five minute litany of 100% facts :-) Thiry minutes would be enough!

I appreciate this is somewhat philisitine like, but I really don;t need ten minutes of effectively prologue explaining why Miss Marple happens to be in Little Chudwick on a Wednesday in May :-) She is there - that's good enough. Now lets get on with it :-)

didds 9feeling a philistine )

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: shortened Agatha Christie stories

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2018, 10:49 pm

There's Radio 4's Monday-Friday after-lunch slot, which is occupied by 45-minute plays (sometimes something longer serialised in 45-minute episodes, but more usually standalone). Have you checked their archives for anything that might meet your needs?

9feeling a philistine )

Careful! The most celebrated case of that ended in a suicide bombing.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 3rd, 2018, 8:40 am

I'm no particular fan of detective stories, but isn't it the whole point of the exercise to disguise the "important stuff" among the endless reams of apparently tedious guff?

For all you know, Miss Marple might be in Little Chudwick because she overslept after a secret midnight liaison with Major Grumpshott, only to hear the morning paper boy whistling in that peculiarly tuneless manner that firmly identified him as the one wot murdered the village postmistress?

You never can tell. ;)

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 3rd, 2018, 8:58 am

I too can recommend the 45 minute afternoon plays on R4. Together with the Archers they are perfect for my afternoon dog walk. The Rumpole of the Bailey series are especially good and there are several detective series that are aired every few months sometimes as stand alone stories and sometime serialised as four or five episodes.

Not just crime fiction though, there's SF and all sorts of other subject matter...there was a great one on Suggs and Madness a week or so ago.

John

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 3rd, 2018, 2:18 pm

Then there's Radio 4's "Book at Bedtime". Quite Apt !

Not plays/drama's as such but still very listenable.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 3rd, 2018, 8:32 pm

Also, worth mentioning that Radio 4 Extra has many, many plays & drama series. A Cadfael 5 parter started yesterday - the episodes are 30 minutes long. I'm currently enjoying "Freedom Pass" by Alan Coren from 2004.

Return to “Does anyone know?”