Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

police crime numbers for lost mail

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

police crime numbers for lost mail

Postby didds » April 11th, 2018, 4:34 pm

A friend sent some stuff super duper recorded delivery wotsit.

It got lost by Royal Mail.

To claim on the RM insurance, they require a police crime number.

The police say they cannot/do not give crime numbers for lost property.

Q: DAK if this is a generic Police protocol, or does it differ between forces?

didds

PS I did suggest that as its gone missing and hasn;t appeared it could be argued that it is now stolen.

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Re: police crime numbers for lost mail

Postby RedSnapper » April 11th, 2018, 4:43 pm

I've made many a claim from both Royal Mail and a variety of couriers for lost items. I have never been asked for a crime ref number. I would be surprised if the police gave one. What 'crime' do Royal Mail allege has occurred (other than the somewhat spurious missing presumed stolen)?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 11th, 2018, 4:44 pm

didds wrote:To claim on the RM insurance, they require a police crime number.

Are you absolutely sure about that? That seems a bizarre thing for them to ask for.

If the Royal Mail can't locate it, then any "crime" has been committed against the Royal Mail. So they should be the ones reporting it.

But I'd seriously hope the police's time isn't taken up for matters like "lost in the post".

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 11th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Royal Mail's Compensation Policy is here:

https://www.royalmail.com/retail-compen ... olicy-loss

It includes (noting the minimum):

Table 2 – Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm® (not posted on account) ...

3. All claims must supply as a minimum the following “basic evidence”

the names and addresses of the sender, addressee and claimant,
the Royal Mail product used,
the postage paid and method of postage e.g. stamps, franking impression, SmartStamp®
the place of posting,
the date of posting,
the basis for asserting the posting details and product used (such as date of postmark, certificate of posting (if available) and for Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm® and Royal Mail Signed for® the product documentation and
a description of the contents.

What has been supplied so far and have they given a reason as to why they now want a crime number (available or not)?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 12th, 2018, 8:48 am

all I know is that my friend was told that they would need a police reference number.

In the end eventually a kind police officer at a station in the next town (no station is the person's town so she had to go to the next town to go in person) fiddfled and diddled and found something to report this lost property under - because of the importance of what had dissapaered (passport, resident permit, degree certificate etc) for a citizenship application (EU citizen resident in UK for years, wanting to stay post B-word.)

Now friend hasa a police reference number RM are proceeding. I would agree with PD that under the terms posted by PD above this police reference number would appear to be not required. Wierd. But frankly in this kafkesque world not wholly unsurprising.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 12th, 2018, 8:59 am

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:To claim on the RM insurance, they require a police crime number.

Are you absolutely sure about that? That seems a bizarre thing for them to ask for.

If the Royal Mail can't locate it, then any "crime" has been committed against the Royal Mail. So they should be the ones reporting it.

But I'd seriously hope the police's time isn't taken up for matters like "lost in the post".

Scott.

well that's what friend was told she needed by the RM represenetative on the phone.

For context the stuff that disappeared was passport, resident permit, degree certificate etc) for a citizenship application, as they now have to apply for it to remain in the UK post Brexit.

Its not just a lost book off amazon. I would imagine most of us would consider losing one's passport etc somewhat of an issue, if only for the huge identity theft potential. YMMV of course :)

didds

Return to “Does anyone know?”