Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Passport Digital Photos

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Passport Digital Photos

Postby PinkDalek » April 19th, 2018, 10:10 pm

On the glasses front, from one of Bree’s links:

You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 19th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Bree, but I thought I wouldn't be able to use digital anyway (see previous quote). :?

Use a digital camera to take as many as you need until you get one you like - then print it at a size that meets the requirements here...
https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

...that's what I did.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 19th, 2018, 10:17 pm

PinkDalek wrote:On the glasses front, from one of Bree’s links:

You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections.

From the other one, it's suggested you should take them off if you can...

Take glasses off
If you have to keep glasses on, your eyes must be fully visible.
Make sure there is no glare.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 19th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Ah, I see. Will do. Thanks both. I'll read all the links in due course but have had other priorities this evening.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 19th, 2018, 11:27 pm

The simplest and cheapest thing is a PhotoMe booth. Six quid! It sets you in the correct position, checks the result is passport correct and gives you a code. When you apply for your passport you put the code in when the Passport Office web application process asks for it and tbe passport office finds your PhotoMe photograph and uses it.

Simples!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 19th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Full circle.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 19th, 2018, 11:37 pm

tea42 wrote:The simplest and cheapest thing is a PhotoMe booth. Six quid! It sets you in the correct position, checks the result is passport correct and gives you a code. When you apply for your passport you put the code in when the Passport Office web application process asks for it and tbe passport office finds your PhotoMe photograph and uses it.

Simples!

Unfortunately uploading a digital photo, your own or the PhotoMe one, is only offered by the Passport Office web application process if you are renewing a passport issued on or after 2002, as tested by Clitheroekid here: viewtopic.php?p=132569#p132694

Ours are older than that, so the only option is a printed photo. A PhotoMe one would be OK for that too.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 19th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Except, as I said at the outset, the one it took of me was ghastly, as was my husband's.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 20th, 2018, 12:10 pm

tea42 wrote:The simplest and cheapest thing is a PhotoMe booth. Six quid! It sets you in the correct position, checks the result is passport correct and gives you a code. When you apply for your passport you put the code in when the Passport Office web application process asks for it and tbe passport office finds your PhotoMe photograph and uses it.

Simples!

When my son and I got our passports renewed a few years back we both found the PhotoMe booth to be very difficult to use as it was almost impossible to get far enough away from the camera to be in the frame it displayed. That is why we paid a bit more to have a person do it.

Slarti

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 20th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Slarti wrote:

Simples!

When my son and I got our passports renewed a few years back we both found the PhotoMe booth to be very difficult to use as it was almost impossible to get far enough away from the camera to be in the frame it displayed. That is why we paid a bit more to have a person do it.

Slarti

Didnt have that problem. I was very impressed by the software which checked your height and framed the picture perfectly with no reflections from my glasses or shadows which the passport office wont allow.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 21st, 2018, 8:57 am

tea42 wrote:
The simplest and cheapest thing is a PhotoMe booth.

Six quid!

It sets you in the correct position, checks the result is passport correct and gives you a code. When you apply for your passport you put the code in when the Passport Office web application process asks for it and tbe passport office finds your PhotoMe photograph and uses it.

My wife recently renewed her passport, and needed to provide a new photograph.

I took a couple of photos with her Android tablet, we uploaded a suitable one to the passport-website that passed the relevant criteria, and it was accepted without issues. Around 10 days later, her passport was delivered through the post.

So our method cost nothing at all, and was carried out in the comfort of our own home. I'm not quite sure that travelling to a PhotoMe booth and paying another six quid for the pleasure is either simpler or cheaper, so long as you've got a method of taking a basic photograph - I'd imagine the vast majority of mobile phones would be capable of this task quite sufficiently...

With regards to the quality of the photos, both in technical and aesthetic terms - these are passport photographs, they're not usually placed out onto the mantelpiece for general viewing and admiration....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 21st, 2018, 1:16 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:My wife recently renewed her passport, and needed to provide a new photograph.
I took a couple of photos with her Android tablet, we uploaded a suitable one to the passport-website that passed the relevant criteria, and it was accepted without issues. Around 10 days later, her passport was delivered through the post...

Neither Bouleversee or I have the option to upload a photo as our expired passports were issued too long ago. Apparently they have to have a previous digital photo on record for that to be an option.

Your turnaround is encouraging, the guidance when I applied said 'three weeks'. I've yet to find out if my carefully printed 'selfie' is accepted - I'll report back if/when it is.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 21st, 2018, 2:14 pm

Breelander wrote:Your turnaround is encouraging, the guidance when I applied said 'three weeks'. I've yet to find out if my carefully printed 'selfie' is accepted - I'll report back if/when it is.

You can use a free service like http://www.epassportphoto.com/93/Free/U ... port/step1 which will get the framing and sizing right before printing.

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 21st, 2018, 3:56 pm

Breelander wrote:Your turnaround is encouraging, the guidance when I applied said 'three weeks'. I've yet to find out if my carefully printed 'selfie' is accepted - I'll report back if/when it is.

Admittedly we were renewing "recent" passports, but each time we've had ours back in about a week.

Despite what it says on the website.

Slarti

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » April 26th, 2018, 11:42 am

PinkDalek wrote:

Take glasses off
Make sure there is no glare

Making sure there is no glare, being the the snag when wearing glasses. The snag of not wearing glasses of course being that you can’t flipping see.

I don’t have a passport or photo driver license but needed a photo for a public transport pass. No probs, I thought. Off to the booth in the Post Office. You got 4 goes for a fiver.
First go, glasses on, as I normally wear glasses.

Position the bonce, click but photo shows glare of the flash where the pupils would be so obviously unsuitable.

Remove glasses but can no longer see the guidelines. Flash, nice photo of me leaning forward and squinting to try and see the sodding guidelines. “Drat”.

Bright idea, pop glasses on, position head, glasses off again. Not quick enough, sadly. Another “Drat” is in order.

The last photo was suitable, but by then I was grumpy, frowning and looking like I wanted to nut someone.

That now adorns my pass, though it rarely needs to be shown as I generally use it on automatic readers.

Certainly I would agree that having it done by a person would be better, and could probably include glasses as they would have more control over the lighting.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 26th, 2018, 11:47 am

madhatter wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Take glasses off
Make sure there is no glare

Making sure there is no glare, being the the snag when wearing glasses. The snag of not wearing glasses of course being that you can’t flipping see.

I don’t have a passport or photo driver license but needed a photo for a public transport pass. No probs, I thought. Off to the booth in the Post Office. You got 4 goes for a fiver.
First go, glasses on, as I normally wear glasses.

Position the bonce, click but photo shows glare of the flash where the pupils would be so obviously unsuitable.

Remove glasses but can no longer see the guidelines. Flash, nice photo of me leaning forward and squinting to try and see the sodding guidelines. “Drat”.

Bright idea, pop glasses on, position head, glasses off again. Not quick enough, sadly. Another “Drat” is in order.

The last photo was suitable, but by then I was grumpy, frowning and looking like I wanted to nut someone.

That now adorns my pass, though it rarely needs to be shown as I generally use it on automatic readers.

Certainly I would agree that having it done by a person would be better, and could probably include glasses as they would have more control over the lighting.

Did you realise the whole thing was captured on a webcam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SbVFxl64A

John

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 1st, 2018, 3:01 pm

Breelander wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:...Around 10 days later, her passport was delivered through the post...

...Your turnaround is encouraging, the guidance when I applied said 'three weeks'. I've yet to find out if my carefully printed 'selfie' is accepted - I'll report back if/when it is.

Yes, the photo I printed was accepted - and the turnaround was prompt too, 12 days later my online application says 'printed and dispatched'.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 1st, 2018, 4:09 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Did you realise the whole thing was captured on a webcam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SbVFxl64A

Hmm... Reminds me how I recently had an unsatisfactory experience in a booth with the photo for my new plastic driver's licence. :(

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » May 1st, 2018, 5:51 pm

Breelander wrote:- and the turnaround was prompt too, 12 days later my online application says 'printed and dispatched'.

Yes we recently renewed a passport, very quick turnround by the Passport Office but this was spoiled by the courier service (DX Secure) who claimed to have tried to deliver the new passport (at a time when we were at home) but clearly had not tried very hard (and did not leave a card). Eventually we had to go to the depot to pick it up.

newlyretired

Return to “Does anyone know?”