Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Chinos

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Chinos

Postby Nimrod103 » April 14th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Chinos in all the men's clothing shops I visit, have narrow legs, and are cut to be very tight, even in the 'Regular' fitting. I dislike this style, which I presume to be the current fashion. I think it is unconfortable on any man over the age of 40, who isn't as thin as a rake. Even M&S chinos are the same.
Anyone know where I can get chinos which are a bit more baggy for comfort?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Chinos

Postby PinkDalek » April 15th, 2018, 12:12 am

I’m told that Gant chinos might do the trick. John Lewis appears to stock them.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 15th, 2018, 12:13 am

I ceased and desisted wearing chinos early 30s (vaguely remember this being on Lady M's insistence). I'm told the discerning gentleman over 40 needs to be looking for the "Comfort Trouser". That or red corduroys. Doomed either way. When I'm not in the office (M&S tailoring), I wear shorts whenever possible.

forlesen
Lemon Pip

Postby forlesen » April 15th, 2018, 12:32 am

I have mostly worn walking trousers the last few years, but going back before that, I used to be a regular buyer of chinos by mail order from Landsend. Looking at their website, they still offer an extensive range:

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Men/Chino_Col ... a_chinocol

I think I used to go for the pleated front, traditional fit ones, but I can't be positive about that. Anyway, they used to be a comfortable fit, and my thighs are definitely chunky rather than skinny. They offer quite a few different styles with a variety of fits, and they do the inside leg and hem to your measurement / preference, so it should hopefully be possible to find something that suits you.

Best of luck, anyway!

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 15th, 2018, 5:33 pm

A couple of years ago my heavy white cotton duck (about duck no. 6 in weight) summer trousers (not twill and hence not chinos) finally disintegrated. They were the sort I imagine the Oxford chaps in Brideshead wore for general summer activities - but were not 'Oxford bags'.
When I tried to replace them I found everything available was bottom pinching, leg hugging, crotch squeezing and lightweight, and many were 'non-iron' coated.

Herrrrumph,... what is a chap to wear when the sun shines?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » April 15th, 2018, 6:23 pm

This is the bloody reason why am wearing 501's again. in the mid 90's docker's chinos were thick material, good fit, last time I looked it was very flimsy paper thin cotton. I used to buy Gant ones but can hardly justify those prices on my pensioner's annuity as I am not working for a hedge fund anymore, mid 00's Gant chinos were fine but that must've gone down the pan too since then.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » April 15th, 2018, 6:25 pm

stevamax, thumbs up, for "duck" canvasy cottony thingy.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 15th, 2018, 6:55 pm

I still have a couple of pairs of Dockers (era c. 1999) - a brown and a tan one, and excellent trousers they still are. I made sure I bought the pleated front ones since the plain ones were even then aimed more at the size-zero figure.

'Happiness is loose trousers' (Oscar Wilde*)

* perhaps

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 15th, 2018, 7:26 pm

stewamax wrote:
'Happiness is loose trousers' (Oscar Wilde)

I'm not sure he'd be allowed to say that nowadays.....

Itsallaguess

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 15th, 2018, 8:42 pm

But worse if he'd said "Happiness is a pair of dockers" :o

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » April 16th, 2018, 8:58 am

Do you have a Rohan store nearby? I've found their clothing to be very well made. A friend is a site manager and works on various building projects, he's hands on when necessary and as an ex RSM knows his kit.
He wears Rohan trousers on site, he's had the same pair for nigh on 20 years and they are still going strong. They offer a repair service on most of their kit.
Might be worth a look.
( they have sales from time to time, and there is the "Souk" part of their website where you can pick up the occasional bargain )

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and ... ur-Chinos-

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » April 16th, 2018, 9:02 am

I haven't bought any chinos for a couple of years but I used to buy my chinos from Banana Republic (BR) mostly in the USA but they did have a few stores in London too but they have retreated from the UK somewhat. BR used to have a style called "boot cut" (the "Dawson"). Boot cuts are chinos designed to be worn with boots, i.e. the trouser legs are wide enough at the bottom to go over the shaft of a boot which, unless the designers want them to be bell bottoms (which they don't) also means the rest of the leg is wider than all these skinny fits. To my eyes it didn't mean that they looked like southern USA massively wide dungarees, it just meant that they had more "normally" proportioned leg widths and tapers, so it might be worth keeping an eye out for anything that describes itself as a "boot cut".

BR is a sub-brand of The Gap so it might also be worth seeing if they have any boot cut styles (BR also called it "relaxed fit") and try those on in a shop if they do.

I just looked at the BR and Gap UK web sites. BR don't sell the boot cuts in the UK any more but The Gap does have something that it describes as "relaxed fit" (http://www.gap.co.uk/browse/category.do ... le=1049830). If those are anything like the Dawsons that I used to buy from BR they might work for you.

- Julian

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 16th, 2018, 4:54 pm

One teeny potential problem with the Rohans: airport scanners.
The left-hand pocket contains our Tri-ring attachment point. Made to a bespoke design from an ultra-lightweight alloy, it’s the perfect place to attach keys or other small accessories such as a penknife.

I don't mind too much removing my belt, but... :o

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » April 16th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I note the Rohan trousers are made of polyamide, not cotton. As a holiday in a hot place is the reason for me shopping now, I am concerned that these un-natural fibres will make my legs sweat, and the drainpipe trousers becoming literally, drainpipes.
I will have a look in GAP and investigate Lands End and GANT.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 16th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions.
I note the Rohan trousers are made of polyamide, not cotton. As a holiday in a hot place is the reason for me shopping now, I am concerned that these un-natural fibres will make my legs sweat, and the drainpipe trousers becoming literally, drainpipes.

Last time I looked in Gap they had a few different cuts for chinos.

I just looked on the website and it is Skinny, Slim, Straight, Athletic and Relaxed.

Good luck!

John

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » April 16th, 2018, 9:52 pm

I've had several pairs from UNIQLO over the past few years. They have a 'standard fit', with several colours. Sometimes larger sizes are not available in stores. You can 'click and collect' though, and they take returns without fuss.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » April 16th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rohan stuff is engineered for travelling so they are very good in heat and cold and also don't weigh too much. The big downside is the price tag but they do last for a long time.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 21st, 2018, 11:10 am

For gardening and general shabby-wear I have several pairs of Dickies cheap poly-something trousers in various colours (both single thickness and lined winter-weight) that can be regularly washed. My local Countrywide Farmers stocked a good range until they went bust recently, so for any stores in that group that are still trading they may be on offer at a discount.

So even worse if Oscar had said "Happiness is a pair of Dickies" :o

Return to “Does anyone know?”