Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Insurance broker?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
invest21c

Insurance broker?

Postby invest21c » May 6th, 2018, 9:44 am

How did this happen? - I am 70 in June, thankfully in good health and young as ever but....

Prompted by HSBC Premier ceasing to offer free annual travel insurance to over 70's - and my 6 points on my driving licence - and planning an extension to the house this year - ie building and contents, also have what has become a ludicrously price boiler insurance.

It's definitely time for a proper review of insurance needs.

I am thinking it might be worth going to an insurance broker - and wonder if anyone has any experience or views on this, given
the age related issues AND the building work. A colleague had some dreadful problems with their builders so I want to be sure I am properly covered for any extension work (yes will check builder insurance).

Not quite sure where to start as usually simply use the comparison websites.

Any experience and or ideas very much appreciated.

Thanks
Moderator Message:
This DAK question has the potential to digress into all aspects of insurance, which might result in it being moved elsewhere. So please try to stay focussed on the OP's specific request: experience and/or ideas regarding the OP's situation. Thanks - Chris

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Insurance broker?

Postby Breelander » May 6th, 2018, 2:04 pm

invest21c wrote:How did this happen? - I am 70 in June, thankfully in good health and young as ever but..
...I am thinking it might be worth going to an insurance broker - and wonder if anyone has any experience or views on this
...Not quite sure where to start as usually simply use the comparison websites...

Not quite your vintage yet, but close enough for it to be to be something I'll need to think about soon.
Age UK would seem a good place to start looking, they seem to have a wide range of insurance available...

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/products/insurance/

invest21c

Postby invest21c » May 6th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Thank you Breelander.

I can do the individual policies by direct research and with comparison websites.

The issue is to find a good independent insurance broker who can look at ALL the insurance needs together.

So any further ideas or experience on this specific question would be very welcome.

Or maybe have the independent insurance brokers left the market due to comparison sites maybe ?

Many thanks for any further ideas or feedback.

invest21c

(ps - re 70+ annual travel policy, so far Staysure seems to be well rated, (although low in my view on legal expenses cover).

invest21c

Postby invest21c » May 6th, 2018, 2:36 pm

I meant to add that earlier experience with AgeUK when looking at insurance for an "elderly" relative was that their quotes were less competitive, than those achievable via the comparison websites.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » May 6th, 2018, 2:43 pm

(ps - re 70+ annual travel policy, so far Staysure seems to be well rated, (although low in my view on legal expenses cover).

We'll certainly from their advertising they rate themselves quite well. I've found them to be well down the charts (70+ with high blood pressure) on the comparison sites both on price and cover levels. There are many better.

Regarding an insurance broker I haven't found that a one-stop-shop offers much. I use a broker for home and contents as I don't fit the standard profile well but the comparison sites have served well otherwise.

invest21c

Postby invest21c » May 6th, 2018, 3:52 pm

I've found what I am looking for

https://www.biba.org.uk

British Insurance Brokers Association

Thank you for all the responses.

If anyone has good experience with any specific broker I would be interested.

Otherwise thank you for the responses.

Return to “Does anyone know?”