Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fuel Pumps at service stations

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Bink333
Lemon Slice

Fuel Pumps at service stations

Postby Bink333 » May 15th, 2018, 4:35 pm

This one probably has an easy answer, but the guys at the service stations don't seem to be able to give me one.

Here's the scenario.

You drive up to the available pump on the service station forecourt. You get out, and select the correct dispensing hose for your vehicle. You open the fuel filler hatch, remove the cap and insert the nozzle of the hose you've selected.

You then squeeze the handle, watching the pump display.

What happens next, in the first few seconds, is the bit I'm searching for enlightenment about....?

Today for example, the squeeze resulted in an immediate feel through the handle, of fuel streaming out into my vehicle, with the litre counter and £ counter dials responding rapidly in unison.

More often than not, at other different service stations I frequent, the counters start counting well before the fuel rush can be felt through the handle.

Does anyone know why this is?

The guy in the station where it always seems to happen, told me that it was because there is a delay for the pump kicking in. There's no bleedin' delay for the counters to start ticking up the cost though, which is my point. I've seen it get to as much as 50p before I can feel the fuel rush through the handle, whereas ten years ago it used to be no more than about 15p (max).

It is very disconcerting, and gives the impression that you are being charged for nothing, before delivery actually commences.

The folk collecting contact-less credit card taps seem clueless, although one of them grinned at me like he knew he was milking the golden calf before shrugging and feigning complete ignorance about it.

TIA

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Fuel Pumps at service stations

Postby didds » May 15th, 2018, 5:45 pm

the whirring numbers are responding to fuel arriving in the hose below ground which takes time to arrive at the dispensing end? The hose either having fuel in it to start with but under no great pressure, or is in fact empty ... so nothing comes out the end but the pump is delivering elsewhere?

I don't think I explained that very well!

didds

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 15th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Bink333 wrote:More often than not, at other different service stations I frequent, the counters start counting well before the fuel rush can be felt through the handle.

No, never experienced this - but I'd stop frequenting those service station if I were you ;)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 15th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Breelander wrote:
Bink333 wrote:More often than not, at other different service stations I frequent, the counters start counting well before the fuel rush can be felt through the handle.

No, never experienced this - but I'd stop frequenting those service station if I were you ;)

And/or raise it with the local Trading Standards officer (what used to be Weights & Measures a long time ago!)

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 15th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Bloody good question. Your description is ringing all sorts of bells. Looking forward to the Lemony verdict. C.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 15th, 2018, 8:54 pm

http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2012 ... uracy.html
"Not only did all the pumps dispense at least the right amount, but most gave even more" :o

Ssshh

Return to “Does anyone know?”