Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Restuffing a sofa?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Restuffing a sofa?

Postby Julian » July 16th, 2018, 10:47 am

I didn't want to hijack LesleyFool's "Reupholster a settee" thread because I think my question is exactly the opposite, i.e. for my sofa the upholstery is fine but the seat cushions have gone horribly saggy. The back cushions are going a bit but aren't too bad at the moment.

There seem to be quite a few places that offer a service where you to post in cushion covers and they will then cut foam, or in some cases latex to size and return re-filled covers, e.g. https://www.foamforcomfort.co.uk/ffc/cushion-refilling/

Does anyone have any experience with any of these places? Also, I'm pretty sure it will be more expensive but I'm considering going with latex on the assumption that it will be longer lasting. Is that a correct assumption? Does anyone have any experience specifically with getting cushions refilled using latex?

One other possibility might be an insert to go under the seat cushions such as this one - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Savers-Seate ... 00HOSAYRA/

Since it costs all of £13.65 it's probably worth a try anyway before going to the expense of refilling the cushions but I somehow feel that refilling will be the better long-term solution. Has anyone successfully rejuvenated a sofa using one of these anti-sag things?

- Julian

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Re: Restuffing a sofa?

Postby midnightcatprowl » July 16th, 2018, 6:40 pm

An insert will do you no good if the cushions themselves have lost their zest for life. Where inserts come into their own is where the cushions are still good or have been replaced or refilled already and it is what is supporting the cushions which is sagging.

I own an ancient high seat armchair where the basic problem was that the webbing supporting the cushion had got too flexible over the years and an insert sorted that out cheaply and effectively.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » July 17th, 2018, 11:45 am

midnightcatprowl wrote:An insert will do you no good if the cushions themselves have lost their zest for life. Where inserts come into their own is where the cushions are still good or have been replaced or refilled already and it is what is supporting the cushions which is sagging.

I own an ancient high seat armchair where the basic problem was that the webbing supporting the cushion had got too flexible over the years and an insert sorted that out cheaply and effectively.

Thanks. It's difficult to know for sure but on reflection I think it might be more of an issue with the webbing than the cushions. Since doing what, at least from your experience, was an effective fix-up for an issue with the webbing is only going to cost me just over a tenner vs the best part of £400 for new latex cushion inserts I think my next step is pretty clear (hint, it's not getting the cushions restuffed quite yet!).

- Julian

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » July 27th, 2018, 12:33 pm

A quick update. I did get a sag fixer, this one from Amazon https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002STPFA6 because at 24" it was the deepest that I found. It still isn't quite deep enough to span from the back frame support to the front frame support, it's maybe 5cm too shallow to do that, but even so it had definitely made enough of a difference for restuffing the cushions to be off my wishlist for now. All in all a good result.

- Julian

Return to “Does anyone know?”