Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Post Office query

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Post Office query

Postby XFool » May 22nd, 2018, 5:28 pm

Anyone ever had any success using the Post Office's 'Signed for 1st' posting service?

I sent off some documents via a Post Office to the DVLA last Tuesday 15 May at 1.42pm via this service, hoping for a somewhat safer service than normal first class post. I got a Certificate of Posting receipt with a Reference number.

This is supposed to be first class post - "Delivery aim: next working day"

When I enter the Ref No. in the Royal Mail 'Track & Trace' service I still get:

"Item GQ*********GB was posted at *** High Road *** *** on 15/05/18 and is being progressed through our network for delivery."

This is now one week on!

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Post Office query

Postby pochisoldi » May 22nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

XFool wrote:Anyone ever had any success using the Post Office's 'Signed for 1st' posting service?

I sent off some documents via a Post Office to the DVLA last Tuesday at 1.42pm 15 May via this service, hoping for a somewhat safer service than normal first class post. I got a Certificate of Posting receipt with a Reference number.

This service is supposed to be first class post - "Delivery aim: next working day"

When I enter the Ref No. in the Royal Mail 'Track & Trace' service I still get:

"Item GQ*********GB was posted at *** High Road *** *** on 15/05/18 and is being progressed through our network for delivery."

This is now one week on!

I think you will find that "Signed for" service to DVLA is a waste of money, because nobody will actually sign for it because of the volume of mail.

Next time, just get a certificate of posting and stick a first class stamp on it.

Interpretation Act 1978 S7:
"Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

If you are worried about DVLA losing your licence, and you've go to pay for the replacement anyway (e.g. photocard renewal), then tick the box to say you lost the licence, and keep the old one until the new one turns up...

PochiSoldi

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 22nd, 2018, 6:06 pm

pochisoldi wrote:I think you will find that "Signed for" service to DVLA is a waste of money, because nobody will actually sign for it because of the volume of mail.

That's what I have been worrying about. What now, I wonder?

pochisoldi wrote:If you are worried about DVLA losing your licence, and you've go to pay for the replacement anyway (e.g. photocard renewal), then tick the box to say you lost the licence, and keep the old one until the new one turns up...

I haven't got the old one, I sent it to them (far too late as it's turning out). Today is the last day it is valid. I can at least check online whether I do have a valid licence. ;)

What I'm really worrying about is whether they, or Royal Mail, lose my original birth certificate.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » May 22nd, 2018, 6:34 pm

I think you will find that "Signed for" service to DVLA is a waste of money, because nobody will actually sign for it because of the volume of mail.

Agreed. I had a saga with London Borough of Lambeth where I wanted a refund on an unexpired parking permit as I was moving from Lambeth. They allow you to purchase and collect in person, but they refuse to allow you to deliver documents in person when seeking a refund, and they recommend that you use recorded delivery. I used recorded delivery, which Royal Mail tracking never confirmed as delivered because no-one ever signed.

I began a process of seeking compensation from Royal Mail, but stopped the process as Lambeth then 'found' the permit and finally issued the refund.

I suppose they make it difficult in the expectation that people will give up and they can keep the money. Interesting that when they are the senders, you may collect, but when the individual is sending to them, delivery by hand is not permitted - I was actually turned away from their public office and staff even refused to put my envelope in the internal mail.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 22nd, 2018, 7:07 pm

XFool wrote:… What I'm really worrying about is whether they, or Royal Mail, lose my original birth certificate.

It might be of comfort to get another from https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate

Certificates cost £9.25 and are sent after 14 working days.

If you need your certificate sooner you can use the priority service for £23.40. It will be sent the next working day if you order by 4pm.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 22nd, 2018, 7:16 pm

Yes, I know. Having recently got one for somebody else.

What I really want is my 'original' one back. At least I took a copy to remember it by. What I also want is a driving licence...

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 22nd, 2018, 7:32 pm

You may well be fortunate in that it got there, with a whole batch of other letters, but wasn't specifically "Signed For®". Here's a random thread on the subject:

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/f ... 2e140c7e54

My mention of getting a replacement was on the basis that it is never a bad idea to have a back-up. If you get your "original" back, you can use a "new" version in the future. That's what I do anyway, as I wouldn't want to lose the oldest version I hold.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 22nd, 2018, 8:04 pm

Right. Seems I'll just have to keep on checking online as to whether I am or am not licensed and hope the birth certificate turns up some time. I'm not feeling optimistic.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » May 23rd, 2018, 7:59 am

Luckily in the UK one doesn't really need a licence like on the continent where they stop you and ask to see it and registration while they breathalyse you. When I renew my insurance I tick the box European full licence and that's that. Issued in 1984, valid till 2036, a paper one with a photo of me at 17, laminated so hopefully it'll last till 2036 or some Brexit red tape which ever comes first...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 23rd, 2018, 10:44 am

XFool's concern is not his licence. its his birth certificate.

My daughter is currentl;y turning the house upside down looking for her's as she has a job interview in 15 minutes and needs it.

this is the replacement she is looking for having lost her original.

The public decency requirements of this site do not permit to express myself here in the manner I wish to.

But her dilemma this morning illustrates why birth certificates are important in this day and age (one example anyway). To prove she is British in this case so she can get a job.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 23rd, 2018, 11:40 am

didds wrote:My daughter is currentl;y turning the house upside down looking for her's as she has a job interview in 15 minutes and needs it.

OT UPDATE: I found it within 30 seocnds of looking for it. Exactly where I said it would be, that she allegedly looked at!

didds

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » May 23rd, 2018, 8:05 pm

didds wrote:
But her dilemma this morning illustrates why birth certificates are important in this day and age (one example anyway). To prove she is British in this case so she can get a job.

didds

A birth certificate doesn't prove you are British; merely your place of birth.
However, to prove eligibility to work, all you need is your birth certificate and NI number - it's not to prove you are British citizen. Someone could have been born in the UK, and so have a British birth certificate, and have a National Insurance number without necessarily being a British citizen.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 2nd, 2018, 10:55 am

Just an update.

Got my documents back today, specifically my original birth certificate. Unfortunately no licence as the form was returned too because I hadn't noticed the person who countersigned the photo had not fully filled in their section.

Royal Mail Track & Trace still says it was posted and that 'We have it'. So Signed for First was a waste of time and money!

Return to “Does anyone know?”