Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tenants' rights after 17 years

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Tenants' rights after 17 years

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 2nd, 2018, 5:01 pm

I've got no beef with the letting agents, having been treated reasonably over 17 years. I just want to avoid the situation where I'm having to be available at odd times for multiple viewings, with attendant hassle/invasion of privacy/enforced washing up...
I could do without the stress - I may well head down to Eton now and throw myself in the river. Probably not though :)
Thanks for all the useful input to date. Just been to Clas Ohlson for a big storage bag. The flat packed removal boxes were too big to carry home on train, so ordering from Amazon.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 2nd, 2018, 6:37 pm

Moderator Message:
The OP's question was What rights do I have re notice, viewings, deposit etc? please try to only address this question. Thanks. - Chris

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » June 4th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Just out of mild curiosity. If you do happen to find the ideal paradise digs within nano seconds of looking. Do YOU have to give two months notice if the landlord hasn't served one on you?

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » June 4th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Pipsmum wrote:Just out of mild curiosity. If you do happen to find the ideal paradise digs within nano seconds of looking. Do YOU have to give two months notice if the landlord hasn't served one on you?

No. If the tenancy has become a statutory periodic tenancy, the tenant's notice period is determined by and as the rent period subject to a minimum of 28 days. So for monthly paid rent the tenant is required to give one month's notice. For further information about this see, for example, https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/informat ... -tenancies.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 4th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Pipsmum wrote:You don't need to worry about moving junk (within obvious cost reason). I used a company called Amber Moves (no affiliation) and they provided the boxes in advance, and boxed it all up for me with a smile. Scary, but very do-able. Then dejunk as you unpack whilst feeling all secure in a new flat. Then it's a more positive declutter as you won't want to put old mess in it.

As it happens, I *do* have an affiliation with Amber Moves, which is owned and run by an old mate. I've even met Amber.

They've done all my business and domestic moves over the last 15 years, and very good they are too.

DM

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Postby cavebat » June 4th, 2018, 10:28 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm off to buy removal boxes this weekend I think...
The idea of zero travel, or a 10 minute local hop from Reading, appeals (office is two stops west of Reading central stn)

Do any charities do collections? I'm sure I saw a van once (may have been Red Cross??)

British Heart Foundation do collections.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 7th, 2018, 7:12 am

If you want to stay in the flat a bit longer there's nothing to stop it being sold with you in situ as long as the current and potential new landlords agree.

As it's a bit 'tired' then you could probably negotiate a discount to current market value rent with any new landlord or their agent if they were not particularly fussed about refurbishing immediately. Obviously they'll want to maximize the rent yield at some point and get you on a new AST (or a get new tenant), but it could give you a bit more breathing space before being compelled to move.

It sounds like you are onside with the current agent and landlord, so no harm in proposing it.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2018, 8:44 am

I really DO want to move, but have been putting it off as there's always too much going on with work etc.
I got a phone call from the agents on Monday asking if I was around for a viewing Tuesday. I was on a train at the time, heading home for a funeral, so managed to put them off until tomorrow (Friday). I did query if I should be getting 'viewings' before any formal notice has been given, but I think their plan is to attempt to sell with tenant in situ. It's a bit confusing - if I insist on notice and limit viewings to last period of tenancy I've effectively committed to moving even if they sell to a new landlord who's prepared to let me stay

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 7th, 2018, 11:00 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I really DO want to move, but have been putting it off as there's always too much going on with work etc.
I got a phone call from the agents on Monday asking if I was around for a viewing Tuesday. I was on a train at the time, heading home for a funeral, so managed to put them off until tomorrow (Friday). I did query if I should be getting 'viewings' before any formal notice has been given, but I think their plan is to attempt to sell with tenant in situ. It's a bit confusing - if I insist on notice and limit viewings to last period of tenancy I've effectively committed to moving even if they sell to a new landlord who's prepared to let me stay

IME agents are inherently lazy (I'm constantly kicking my letting agent up the ar*e on my mum's house let, I'm supposedly on a 'gold' all inclusive landlord package, ahem...)
They'll do the bare minimum of work required to get their fees. That potentially means you can exploit the situation in your favour if you are prepared to put a bit of leg work in.
Offer to do the viewings for them (you know far more about the flat than the agents will) at weekends say, that way you get to meet potential new landlords and can get a feel for how flexible they are.

Can you not use your holiday allowance to free up some time to deal with the flat issues like de-cluttering et al?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2018, 11:42 am

Yes, will use some holiday (or 'working from home' time...)
I'm going to be here for all viewings as I hold the only set of keys, and I don't like people poking around when i'm away...having had stuff stolen from a previous flat when the landlord gave some heating engineers keys

Return to “Does anyone know?”