Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What to wear?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: What to wear?

Postby tjh290633 » June 21st, 2018, 9:40 am

Thanks for the pointer to eBay, Dodds. I doubt that I shall ever need a new one, as my first lasted about 50 years.

I needed one when I was doing my National Service, as on dining-in nights we were required to wear Interim Mess Kit, which meant battledress, white shirt and black bow tie for National Servicemen.

Then, at Oxford, sub-fusc required a white bow tie, and mine is double-ended. A dark suit, white shirt, black shoes and quiet socks, plus the appropriate gown - a commoner's bum freezer in my case for the first three years, then a BA gown in the last year. For the 7-hour practicals in Finals, I think a lab coat was permitted.

Never did have occasion to wear white tie and tails, although I am on my fourth DJ. I also bought a secondhand morning suit for my daughter's wedding, as it was cheaper than hiring. A bit tight around the gills these days. Nowadays I guess that the DJ is deployed 5 or 6 times in a typical year.

TJH

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 21st, 2018, 9:44 am

bungeejumper wrote:I don't know what the fuss is about. Mine's got a hook and a bit of elastic. :lol:
BJ

Calibrated to bounce you back up just before you hit the ground, I take it?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 21st, 2018, 11:00 am

When the late Sir John Betjeman met his future father-in-law the formidable Field Marshal Lord Chedwode (Eton, Cavalry, OM, DSO, GCB etc etc) who was Commander in Chief (India), he wore a made-up bow-tie on an elastic cord and deliberately twanged it throughout dinner. Betjeman could get away with it (and did; his equally formidable wife could not scupper his long-term relationship with a daughter of 10th Duke of Devonshire) but it is not recommended behaviour for lesser chaps.

It's two-ended bow ties or nothing for male Lemon Fools I'm afraid. Those who cannot tie one should ask their butler or the helpful people at Turnbull and Asser to teach them. Be prepared: your valet may not be around if you need to re-tie it after having dined well.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » June 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm

Breelander wrote:BTW, have you noticed the recent 'fashion' for long sleeved shirts to no longer have a breast pocket? I'm having to grab the few that are left as/when I find them...

Surely it's always been the case that some do and some don't? A quick look through the M&S website shows that the majority do.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 21st, 2018, 1:35 pm

Stompa wrote:
Breelander wrote:BTW, have you noticed the recent 'fashion' for long sleeved shirts to no longer have a breast pocket? I'm having to grab the few that are left as/when I find them...

Surely it's always been the case that some do and some don't? A quick look through the M&S website shows that the majority do.

Sadly, a long look through a physical M&S store (and John Lewis, Tesco, Sainsburys, et. al.) finds that none do these days...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 21st, 2018, 1:45 pm

Stompa wrote:

I have heard that 'senior executives' don't like breast pockets, as it implies they need to carry their own pens etc, and they may be mistaken for engineers, or similar low life...

Anyways..have a look here
https://www.tmlewin.co.uk/shirts/?prefn ... s%20Formal

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 21st, 2018, 2:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I don't know what the fuss is about. Mine's got a hook and a bit of elastic. :lol:

I like my proper double ended bow tie, though it doesn't get many outings, the best bit is undoing it, it hanging round the neck, and looking all raffish*.

* Other adjectives may apply.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 21st, 2018, 2:38 pm

UncleIan wrote:I like my proper double ended bow tie, though it doesn't get many outings, the best bit is undoing it, it hanging round the neck, and looking all raffish*.

If I let something dangle round my neck, the young rapscallions to whom I owe the common element of yours and my names, or others of their ilk, would have it in a trice. :o

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 21st, 2018, 2:40 pm

Lootman wrote:Where are you chaps going, and what parties are you being invited to, that require such elegance and formality? I feel I must be missing out.

Dod101 wrote:if you are invited to one of the Queen's Garden Parties you need a suit

UncleEbenezer wrote:Almost all concerts I perform in require it as standard.

You two obviously move in more refined circles than I do.

I know my place :mrgreen:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 21st, 2018, 4:00 pm

To be fair I have only been to one Garden Party. I would not recommend it but it is quite democratic in a funny kind of way.

Dod

Return to “Does anyone know?”