Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What to wear?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
torata
Lemon Slice

Re: What to wear?

Postby torata » June 19th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Once you have discovered something you like, then I'd suggest buying three of them at the same time (for longevity by rotation and to cover cleaning)
I discovered that with Uniqlo as the designs change every year. Even going back a month later can mean slightly different shades of colour.

torata

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 19th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Once again thank you all for the great advice. I'm travelling the next couple of days so may not have a chance to reply in a timely manner. You may see me around - I'm the tall scruffy guy checking out what you are wearing! ;)

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » June 20th, 2018, 8:05 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I've been recognised by fellow-fools on a three-word self-description: look for the beard, paunch and sandals. With whatever is comfortable. In the case of hawaiian shirts, the louder the better :twisted:

I've always loved the quote from Sean Connery's character in "The Russia House" when he's describing himself to someone who he's arranging to meet...

I look like a large unmade bed with a shopping bag attached.

(he's carrying a shopping bag at their meeting).

The stylist for that film did a good job of creating the described look.

- Julian

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 20th, 2018, 1:18 pm

tjh290633 wrote:No T-shirts, just ordinary shirts with long and short sleeves, all with breast pockets...

T-shirts have their place - under an ordinary shirt for the winter months ;)

BTW, have you noticed the recent 'fashion' for long sleeved shirts to no longer have a breast pocket? I'm having to grab the few that are left as/when I find them...

You may find headgear useful as hair cover decreases...

Something with 'thinsulate' works best, I find.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 20th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Breelander wrote:BTW, have you noticed the recent 'fashion' for long sleeved shirts to no longer have a breast pocket? I'm having to grab the few that are left as/when I find them...

I noticed that this weekend when I picked up a rather nice shirt in a charity shop. Ive nowhere to put my specs now when I don't need them!

didds

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 20th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Gieves are (or were) actually very good tailors

Indeed. I have some excellent Gieves jackets from a few years ago. But these were via the RH door ('personal tailoring') rather then the LH door ('bespoke'). For formal suits there I would go bespoke - for which you need a plump wallet.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 20th, 2018, 8:28 pm

didds wrote:
Breelander wrote:BTW, have you noticed the recent 'fashion' for long sleeved shirts to no longer have a breast pocket? I'm having to grab the few that are left as/when I find them...

I noticed that this weekend when I picked up a rather nice shirt in a charity shop. Ive nowhere to put my specs now when I don't need them!

didds

Yes, we went to Marks & Spencer in February and noticed that they were missing. I probably have enough shirts to last me out, anyway.

Do you still get them with short sleeves?

TJH

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 20th, 2018, 8:38 pm

stewamax wrote:
Gieves are (or were) actually very good tailors

Indeed. I have some excellent Gieves jackets from a few years ago. But these were via the RH door ('personal tailoring') rather then the LH door ('bespoke'). For formal suits there I would go bespoke - for which you need a plump wallet.

A few years ago I was looking for a replacement for my single ended black bow tie, originally bought from Gieves in 1952 when they used to turn up in the officer's mess from time to time. After a long fruitless search I saw their shop in Chester. Sadly the salesman told me that they had stopped stocking them the previous year. He did, however, suggest that I try the internet. I found a country gents' outfitter in Cirencester who were able to oblige (at a price). I think that they no longer stock them, which is a shame, as they are so much easier to tie than the double ended ties.

Of course, no self respecting gent would wear a readymade one. It would not last more than one dining in night.

TJH

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 20th, 2018, 9:34 pm

I must have lead a sheltered life but I have never owned a single-ended bow-tie, much less a ready-made one.
Tying a double-ended one is so quick and simple that I have never ventured further. It is very like tying a hunting tie (stock) except that the latter goes once round the neck first and the ends dangle rather than stick out sideways.
It is instructive to look at the various photos of newspaper columnist of yesteryear Hannen Swaffer who customarily wore a black stock tied half-way between a hunting stock and a bow tie, and depending on his mood it might be more one or more the other (and in either case littered with cigarette ash...as were his jacket and trousers).

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 20th, 2018, 9:41 pm

I'm puzzled- how can a bow tie have a single end ?!
I've got a really old (well 1940s) black silk one - shape is like two fish pointing inwards ><>------<><

And no, of course I've never worn the thing....

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 20th, 2018, 9:48 pm

I love it. I have not worn a single ended bow tie for many years and would be amazed if they still are available. This whole thread has bemused me more and more. Wonderful. Early in the thread I recommended a wife. She is invaluable if she is up to date and has a good eye but otherwise is no use. My late wife was very good and I am now reaching the stage when things are breaking down so I take along to a gent's outfitters (I know only one left) the sort of stuff I want. They are mostly quite helpful but any assistant under about 30 years old I reject. They simply have no idea what I am looking for.

Currently I am looking for a decent couple of jackets (mid weight) Anyone got any bright ideas?

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 20th, 2018, 10:18 pm

tjh290633 wrote:A few years ago I was looking for a replacement for my single ended black bow tie, originally bought from Gieves in 1952 when they used to turn up in the officer's mess from time to time. After a long fruitless search I saw their shop in Chester. Sadly the salesman told me that they had stopped stocking them the previous year. He did, however, suggest that I try the internet. I found a country gents' outfitter in Cirencester who were able to oblige (at a price). I think that they no longer stock them, which is a shame, as they are so much easier to tie than the double ended ties.

If its any help...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw= ... noapp=true

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 20th, 2018, 10:21 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I've been recognised by fellow-fools on a three-word self-description: look for the beard, paunch and sandals. With whatever is comfortable. In the case of hawaiian shirts, the louder the better :twisted:

Somewhat lacking in class then?

Dod

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 20th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Class comes from within...

..and the scruffiest people are often the aristocracy

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 20th, 2018, 11:52 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Class comes from within...

..and the scruffiest people are often the aristocracy

Any class I might have, I would endeavour to keep private.

Just as with other things that that come from within.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 21st, 2018, 12:22 am

I understand all of that and yet, style, fashion, and so on, call it what you will still counts. I am perfectly happy to see people as tramps as long as thy are prepared to be treated as such.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 21st, 2018, 1:37 am

tjh290633 wrote:A few years ago I was looking for a replacement for my single ended black bow tie, originally bought from Gieves in 1952 when they used to turn up in the officer's mess from time to time. After a long fruitless search I saw their shop in Chester. Sadly the salesman told me that they had stopped stocking them the previous year. He did, however, suggest that I try the internet. I found a country gents' outfitter in Cirencester who were able to oblige (at a price). I think that they no longer stock them, which is a shame, as they are so much easier to tie than the double ended ties.

Of course, no self respecting gent would wear a readymade one. It would not last more than one dining in night.

stewamax wrote:I must have lead a sheltered life but I have never owned a single-ended bow-tie, much less a ready-made one. Tying a double-ended one is so quick and simple that I have never ventured further. It is very like tying a hunting tie (stock) except that the latter goes once round the neck first and the ends dangle rather than stick out sideways.

Dod101 wrote:I have not worn a single ended bow tie for many years and would be amazed if they still are available.

You chaps are amazing and evidently live a much more highbrow and dashing life than I do. I have never worn any type of bow tie in my life. Heck, I have only worn a normal tie twice in the last 17 years (a wedding and a funeral). I haven't worn a suit in over 20 years and doubt I have one that fits any more. The moths probably have them.

Where are you chaps going, and what parties are you being invited to, that require such elegance and formality? I feel I must be missing out.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 21st, 2018, 7:09 am

I used to attend formal dinners in a private members club but gave that up some years back. Normally they were black tie 'dos' and still will be I have no doubt. Otherwise if you are invited to one of the Queen's Garden Parties you need a suit and then there is the occasional formal funeral (although with most funerals these days you seem to be able to wear what you like).

I still have a couple of suits hanging in my wardrobe and both still fit and are in good working condition, together with an assortment of ties. I have not checked on a DJ for a long while and have at least two of them. I am not suggesting any of these are essential but with a couple of decent pairs of shoes they cover most occasions.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 21st, 2018, 7:22 am

Lootman wrote:Where are you chaps going, and what parties are you being invited to, that require such elegance and formality? I feel I must be missing out.

It's many years since I owned a regular suit.

But I do own - and regularly need - evening dress. Almost all concerts I perform in require it as standard.

I don't think I've been invited to a party requiring formality in my life. Unless you count events like sherry-with-the-mistress that called for a gown over ones regular (i.e. scruffy) student apparel.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 21st, 2018, 9:07 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm puzzled- how can a bow tie have a single end ?!
I've got a really old (well 1940s) black silk one - shape is like two fish pointing inwards ><>------<><

I don't know what the fuss is about. Mine's got a hook and a bit of elastic. :lol:

Which reminds me. Many moons ago, I got stopped at the door of a 'smart-dress' nightclub by the bouncers who objected to my black bow tie. When I remonstrated with them, they replied that, in the event of any trouble happening inside, I would be the first person to get thumped, because the fighting elements would think I was staff.

They offered me the loan of a conventional tie for the evening. It seemed inadvisable to refuse. ;)

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”