Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Time to get to Buses at Gatwick North Terminal?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Time to get to Buses at Gatwick North Terminal?

Postby stevensfo » June 27th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Hi,

I don't think I've been to Gatwick for many decades.

I'll arrive from Italy (Easyjet) on a Saturday in July at 08.30 with checked in baggage and then I want to get a coach to Oxford. They are 08.20, 09.20, 10.20 etc from the North Terminal.

Do you think I could make the 09.20 coach or would I be taking the risk of missing it? Not sure how the tickets work these days so I'm assuming they're for a specific time and I have to book online first.

Thanks,

Steve

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Re: Time to get to Buses at Gatwick North Terminal?

Postby JMN2 » June 27th, 2018, 2:17 pm

9.20 will give you ample time.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 27th, 2018, 2:26 pm

I’d imagine 50 minutes is cutting it fine, with checked in baggage, and would depend on delays in the flight, obviously, baggage handling etc.

Those departures times are mentioned within the linked pdf here https://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/gatwick/ I don’t think a single is departure time specific but best to check on the site.

EasyBus may be cheaper http://www.easybus.com/en/london-gatwic ... ort-oxford but also seem to depart at 20 minutes past. They say to allow one hour from the scheduled landing.
Last edited by PinkDalek on June 27th, 2018, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 27th, 2018, 2:29 pm

As JMN2 says, ample time . . . providing:

- your flight arrives on time or is early.

- you are not delayed at passport control

- the hold baggage is sent to the reclaim carousels promptly.

- you aren't stopped for checking in the Customs hall.

As a rule of thumb I reckon it takes an hour from landing to leaving the environs of an airport, although that includes being picked up and taken to wherever my car is parked.

Watis

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 27th, 2018, 2:31 pm

stevensfo wrote:Hi,
I'll arrive from Italy (Easyjet) on a Saturday in July at 08.30 with checked in baggage and then I want to get a coach to Oxford. They are 08.20, 09.20, 10.20 etc from the North Terminal.

Do you think I could make the 09.20 coach or would I be taking the risk of missing it? Not sure how the tickets work these days so I'm assuming they're for a specific time and I have to book online first.

In theory, all things being equal, you may or may not make it. 50 minutes? Last few times I've flown into a UK airport with checked baggage I've been out through customs with my bag in about half an hour or less. Which in theory gives you a spare 20 minutes. Wouldn't take many flight or baggage delays to screw that up.

BUT

Looking at the website for The Airline Oxford, which I assume you're taking...

If your flight is delayed or you are unable to make your exact booked service for any reason, don't worry.[snip] For travel from the airport to Oxford, airline e-tickets may be used on any earlier or later equivalent service due to depart up to 24 hours before or after the service specified on the e-ticket. In both of these instances however, no seat is guaranteed and the person named on the e-ticket will have to provide photographic ID.

From https://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/buy-tic ... cket-info/

So, I think you're good. :)

Ian

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 27th, 2018, 3:15 pm

UncleIan wrote:… In theory, all things being equal, you may or may not make it. 50 minutes? Last few times I've flown into a UK airport with checked baggage I've been out through customs with my bag in about half an hour or less. Which in theory gives you a spare 20 minutes. ...

I'm not disagreeing but it might depend on which UK airport. I haven't delved deeper but found this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news ... -airports/ from 2014.

Back then Air travellers coming into the UK picked up their suitcases quickest at Manchester Airport – waiting 16 minutes 15 seconds. In contrast, those arriving at London Gatwick, according to the experiences of travellers passing through, hung around the longest, for 33 minutes 21 seconds.. That was to pick up their baggage from the carousel.

Then there's always the chance of the queue for the next coach being full but at least one might be placed at the front for the one after.

Curiously, National Express also seem to depart for Oxford at twenty past.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 27th, 2018, 3:17 pm

JMN2 wrote:9.20 will give you ample time.

My experience, from about 18 months back, was that any fixed time ticket would be a risk. It took us nearly an hour to get from the plane to baggage reclaim, let alone to the buses at the front of the terminal. And our plane was on time.

If your plane is late, there is a delay at passport control, the luggage takes its time, you'll be stuffed.

Surely they do flexible tickets?

Slarti

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » June 27th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Slarti wrote:

My quote from the terms suggests basically yes, you've got a 24 hour window to use your booked ticket, though if you reserve a seat that is only on your specified ticket time.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 27th, 2018, 3:36 pm

UncleIan wrote:
Slarti wrote:

My quote from the terms suggests basically yes, you've got a 24 hour window to use your booked ticket, though if you reserve a seat that is only on your specified ticket time.

Yes, I didn't see that until after I'd posted.

I think that unless immigration control has improved at Gatwick North Terminal, an hour from plane to bus is optimistic.

Slarti

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 27th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for the amazingly helpful advice.

Just as I suspected; I'll book the 10.20 bus to be on the safe side.

I also forgot about Passport Control in the UK. I just hope it's faster than Luton!

Steve

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 27th, 2018, 4:05 pm

stevensfo wrote:Thanks to everyone for the amazingly helpful advice.

I also forgot about Passport Control in the UK. I just hope it's faster than Luton!

Steve

It can be fast, if you have a chipped EU passport and use the ePassport gates.

Watis

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 27th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Steve

I did the same mistake at Schiphol once, took the later connection. The flight was late, walked through the whole terminal in 5 minutes, watched the connection that I was sure I would miss board in good time, then spent 4 hours waiting for my safe connection to Newcastle. Had a few Geordies on the plane suffering from delirium tremens.

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » June 27th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Steve

I fly into Gatwick at least twice a year and every time I've cleared passport way before my baggage is out. They are notorious for slow baggage delivery.

The 10:20 bus is a sensible decision

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 27th, 2018, 6:53 pm

The arrangement assumes the plane will land on time. Earlier this month my EasyJet plane from Barcelona was 5.5 hrs late so by the time I arrived at Gatwick - 4am - there was no suitable public transport available for my onward journey to Southampton meaning an expensive and very short stay at the Sofitel in the North terminal. At the same time my plane was late travellers heading to Bristol were boarding an EasyJet plane that had been delayed for over 24 hrs so my advice would be to make contingency plans in the event of the plane being delayed.

I should also mention that the plane parked on the outskirts of the airport requiring a bus to transport us to the terminal building. That process took around 20 minutes. Baggage was very quick but at that time of the morning there were no other planes around.

Return to “Does anyone know?”