Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Strange thing

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Strange thing

Postby XFool » June 28th, 2018, 5:24 pm

I found something strange in my local park - wouldn't be the first time!

It's a damaged black metal tube about 18 mm in diameter approx 10 cm long. The bottom end is plugged with a piece of black foam rubber. The 'top' end has a metal fitment protruding with a double, narrowing diameter, stepped design. Could be a connector but not one familiar to me and I can't see how it would work. The outer main body has two windows on either side near the top, the glass is broken. It also has a micro USB port (for charging?) below one of the windows and a black squarish button on the opposite side.

Looking into a window you can see a chrome metal inner tube with a knurled lower end. Looks like a typical electronic connector. But the bottom end of this just seems sealed and a couple of mm above some flat circular metal surface inside. Looking into the open top it does look like some kind of female connector - just doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Briefly pressing the button causes a white (LED?) light to flash once inside the item. After it has been off for a second or so it comes on again by itself, stays on for a time and then goes out. Pressing the button continuously causes the light to come on flashing regularly. Releasing the button, as above, causes the light to cease flashing but after a pause to come on again for a couple of seconds and then extinguish.

When the white light comes on I can also see on one side a pinpoint red light buried inside. No visible light seems be able to escape up into the 'connector chamber' described above.

Assuming it isn't a Sonic Screwdriver (I've previously found entire spaceships in this park, so who knows?), what is it? I am tending to the view it may be a form of basic RF or Optical cable identifier/tester.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Strange thing

Postby Slarti » June 28th, 2018, 5:40 pm

A bomb that you have just activated? :evil:

Slarti

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm

A remote control for a bomb that you have just activated? :evil:

More seriously, I'm sure your description is accurate but a couple of images might assist, such as via imgur.com, or would these be too difficult to show what's inside the tube?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 28th, 2018, 5:56 pm

XFool wrote: I found something strange in my local park - wouldn't be the first time!

It's a damaged black metal tube about 18 mm in diameter approx 10 cm long. The bottom end is plugged with a piece of black foam rubber. The 'top' end has a metal fitment protruding with a double, narrowing diameter, stepped design. Could be a connector but not one familiar to me and I can't see how it would work. The outer main body has two windows on either side near the top, the glass is broken. It also has a micro USB port (for charging?) below one of the windows and a black squarish button on the opposite side...

Know anyone who Vapes? If so, ask them to identify it. Sounds like a (broken) e-Cig kit, something like this one...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aspire-PockeX- ... 07C5S6M6Z/

If it is, then it contains a Li-Ion battery, the micor-usb is for charging it. The glass windows are for seeing how much e-liquid is left in the tank. The connector would be for attaching the atomiser head (probably the only bit worth salvaging when it broke).
Last edited by Breelander on June 28th, 2018, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 28th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Breelander wrote:
XFool wrote: I found something strange in my local park - wouldn't be the first time!

It's a damaged black metal tube about 18 mm in diameter approx 10 cm long. The bottom end is plugged with a piece of black foam rubber. The 'top' end has a metal fitment protruding with a double, narrowing diameter, stepped design. Could be a connector but not one familiar to me and I can't see how it would work. The outer main body has two windows on either side near the top, the glass is broken. It also has a micro USB port (for charging?) below one of the windows and a black squarish button on the opposite side...

Know anyone who Vapes? If so, ask them to identify it. Sounds like a (broken) e-Cig kit, something like this one...

Spoilsport :lol:

Slarti

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 28th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Slarti wrote:Spoilsport :lol:

Slarti

No - a vaper ;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 28th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Breelander wrote:Know anyone who Vapes? If so, ask them to identify it. Sounds like a (broken) e-Cig kit, something like this one...

If it is, then it contains a Li-Ion battery, the micor-usb is for charging it. The glass windows are for seeing how much e-liquid is left in the tank. The connector would be for attaching the atomiser head (probably the only bit worth salvaging when it broke).

Yes it looks quite similar and I originally thought "Vape?". But I have never handled one and so... Also, how does the fuel get into the head part as the 'electronic connector' seems sealed off from the inner part? How would you refill it? Why does the light flash in the described manner?

It has no lettering on it of any kind.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 28th, 2018, 6:33 pm

XFool wrote:Also, how does the fuel get into the head part as the 'electronic connector' seems sealed off from the inner part? How would you refill it? Why does the light flash in the described manner?

It sounds like the tank/atomiser is missing. It was probably designed to fit inside the tube (most attach to the end of the battery unit). If so, the glass windows would be so you can see the tank when it is fitted. The light would be to show the power is on when you press the button, and to illuminate the tank so you could see the liquid level. You refill most tanks by unscrewing the end and filling from a bottle with a nozzle. This video is typical, the tank is shown being refilled at 20 seconds in...
https://vimeo.com/179746049

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 29th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Breelander wrote:
XFool wrote:Also, how does the fuel get into the head part as the 'electronic connector' seems sealed off from the inner part? How would you refill it? Why does the light flash in the described manner?

It sounds like the tank/atomiser is missing. It was probably designed to fit inside the tube (most attach to the end of the battery unit). If so, the glass windows would be so you can see the tank when it is fitted. The light would be to show the power is on when you press the button, and to illuminate the tank so you could see the liquid level.

No, I think the tank must have been the glass itself, that is now broken. The chrome cylinder insert is a permanent part of the device. So I assume the tank was filled via this, at the top opening through a valve at the cylinder's base, like a cigarette lighter. I can only think this was some kind of two way pressure valve as this seems the only route by which the contents of the tank then leave.

The missing "atomiser" must have then fixed on to the opening at the top. The top collar has two round ended slots, similar in appearance to pictures of Vapes on line.

Now I wonder if anyone can help with that spacecraft... :lol:

Return to “Does anyone know?”