Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Panasonic DVD transferring content

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Panasonic DVD transferring content

Postby brightncheerful » July 2nd, 2018, 5:35 pm

TV (Panasonic) packed up today (no picture, an internal fault apparently), so have had to buy a new one. Also, buy a new Panasonic DVD recorder because our current one connects with a Scart cable only, whereas the new TV is HDMI only.

DAK please how best to copy/transfer content on the hard disk of our current DVD to the new one? The problem is that to operate the controls for copying using the existing DVD requires a compatible TV screen that works, but our doesn't. (Also there may be data copy protection on some content but we won't know that until we try to copy: that difficulty is insurmountable, presumably?)

tia
Bnc

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Panasonic DVD transferring content

Postby swill453 » July 2nd, 2018, 6:09 pm

I think you'd need to give us a bit more information to be able to help you. Like the exact model of Panasonic DVD device you have.

On a quick google there seems to be a way of copying from the hard drive to a blank DVD on some models, it that works for yours it may be the only way.

To be able to see the output, I'm sure you'd be able to get a SCART to HDMI converter. But then that would beg the question of why you're replacing the DVD device in the first place.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 3rd, 2018, 9:15 am

Surely you can buy a scart to HDMI cable that will allow your old DVD recorder to work through the TV alongside the old one? And then you can transfer the files? (I've done it from VHS to DVD, so it isn't that hard.)

I fell for that old HDMI-only thing when I bought a new computer that had only an HDMI output. I'd already scrapped my VGA screen and bought a new screen before I realised that I could have bought an HDMI to VGA adapter for three quid. Dohhhhhhhh. :cry:

BJ

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 3rd, 2018, 2:13 pm

brightncheerful wrote:... the new TV is HDMI only.

My Panasonic TV came with a Scart to HDMI cable in the box. If yours didn't, they're cheap to buy.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » July 5th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Resolved. When I undid the DVD (Blue-ray) in readiness for the TV installer, I found I had overlooked an HDMI socket. So whereas it wasn't necessary to have bought a new DVD etc recorder to use with the new TV, our existing one doesn't have as many features.

The installer has connected both old and new DVD to the new TV so we have access to the content recorded on the old DVD and can if we like copy its content onto a DVD-RW. It has however not been set-up to allow us to record on the old DVD although could be if we want.

An interesting point to be reminded that the hard drive on a DVD recorder really ought to be backed up to avoid loss of any precious recording in the event of recorder HD failure or in our case TV packed up.

Thanks for your suggestions/comments otherwise.

Return to “Does anyone know?”