Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Small gift for new parents

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Small gift for new parents

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 6th, 2018, 10:25 am

Friends of mine just sprogged. I'd like to get them a small gift for the occasion, but I can't help thinking that whatever ideas I might have on the subject, they'll have got there first over the course of nine months with their minds and lives focussed on it.

Any suggestions?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Small gift for new parents

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 6th, 2018, 10:41 am

Earplugs

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 6th, 2018, 10:43 am

Sleep-tokens?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 6th, 2018, 12:54 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Friends of mine just sprogged.

I'd like to get them a small gift for the occasion, but I can't help thinking that whatever ideas I might have on the subject, they'll have got there first over the course of nine months with their minds and lives focussed on it.

Any suggestions?

A voucher for a nice local eatery.

They'll make sure to force themselves to have a night off together, as they won't want to waste the voucher, and they'll need the night off together......

Try to get one that's dated for at least 12-months....

Nice gesture btw.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » July 8th, 2018, 9:49 am

Noise cancelling headphones.

(Though I'm having considerable difficulty deciding amongst Bose,Sony and B&W - pluses and minuses on each.)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 8th, 2018, 2:43 pm

my 'small gift' to my daughter was a link to one of the many copies of this...
https://community.babycentre.co.uk/post ... p_training

:D

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 8th, 2018, 5:44 pm

For the kid? Corny and unoriginal, I know, but picture books. Preferably in indestructible chewable plastic, with some sort of squeaker for added fun. You can never have too many of the damn things, and there are so many titles out there that the chances of doubling up are nearly zero. Our granddaughter spent her christening day (5 months) squealing with delight over Lizzie the Lamb and trying to turn the pages herself.

For the parents? Errr,more books. https://www.babble.com/pregnancy/parent ... ies-funny/ I rather like the premise of https://www.amazon.com/Go-F-Sleep-Adam- ... bble002-20.

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 8th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Ultra, super-duper, long-range baby-monitor with fully adjustable volume level and, ultimately, an on/off switch. Approx £20. C.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 9th, 2018, 3:24 pm

A bit late, sorry.

The most common gift we got was clothes for the baby. Vouchers for mothercare also came. Flowers are also traditional. Yes, the parents will have bought some clothes, but newborns get through loads! And they grow so fast that 3-6 motnhs clothes will be the right size soon enough. Just consider the seasons with the size of clothes.

Nappy-cakes were all the rage at one point. Google it to find suppliers. Basically, a packet of Pampers, a packet of wet-wipes, a couple of vests or bib, all made into a beautiful "cake" and wrapped in cellophane. Very practical, but overpriced if you're at all artistic yourself.

When my sister's first was born I found a lovely hamper with a mix of Mummy and Baby toiletries. Foot massage cream for Mummy, baby wash for Baby, that sort of thing. I think it was from Burts Bees, but you could probably mix one up yourself. I mixed up a similar hamper for a new Mummy who had had a shockingly bad time of everything, and the babies (yes, twins) were absolutely fine. I felt Mummy deserved more of a treat than Babies.

I would have loved a cheese and sparkling wine hamper. In case you aren't aware, you can't eat mould-ripened cheese (i.e. Brie, Stilton and anything yummy) while you're pregnant. Also, shellfish, pate and liver are out. Some fathers-to-be also give things up in sympathy (my OH wouldn't dream of giving up alcohol...), so a picnic basket of "forbiddens" would be lovely. However, breast-feeding Mummies also have to be careful, so check whether she is.

Someone got my little one a bath book. Board books, in my opinion, are not good. They're designed for small babies, but get eaten, particularly when teething, right up to abut age 3. We has one cloth book, and it got very sucked. It's been washed, but not ironed, so it's a bit out of shape (who every heard of ironing a book?!?). The bath book still survives!

Return to “Does anyone know?”