Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Contactless cards

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Contactless cards

Postby malkymoo » July 22nd, 2018, 11:48 am

I received in the post a new contactless credit card yesterday (Visa - Coop Bank). I used it on a contactless terminal to pay for a £25 bill in a supermarket, and expected to be asked for a PIN number as a security confirmation as it was being used for the first time. To my surprise it went through without a pin. DAK if this is usual, it seems very lax security to me, the card could have been intercepted in the post and used for multiple transactions of up to £30.

According to the card T&C, I would be liable for the first £35 of fraudulent transactions after receiving the card and before reporting it missing, however in the event of the card being intercepted, I do not know how I would be expected prove that I had not received the card, or that transactions were in made by me.

elkay
Lemon Slice

Re: Contactless cards

Postby elkay » July 22nd, 2018, 12:14 pm

malkymoo wrote:I received in the post a new contactless credit card yesterday (Visa - Coop Bank). I used it on a contactless terminal to pay for a £25 bill in a supermarket, and expected to be asked for a PIN number as a security confirmation as it was being used for the first time. To my surprise it went through without a pin. DAK if this is usual, it seems very lax security to me, the card could have been intercepted in the post and used for multiple transactions of up to £30.

According to the card T&C, I would be liable for the first £35 of fraudulent transactions after receiving the card and before reporting it missing, however in the event of the card being intercepted, I do not know how I would be expected prove that I had not received the card, or that transactions were in made by me.

With my bank, you have to use the contactless card in a PIN environment once before using it for contactless. Maybe you used the card in an ATM prior to the contactless transaction?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 22nd, 2018, 12:20 pm

malkymoo wrote:I received in the post a new contactless credit card yesterday (Visa - Coop Bank). I used it on a contactless terminal to pay for a £25 bill in a supermarket, and expected to be asked for a PIN number as a security confirmation as it was being used for the first time. To my surprise it went through without a pin. DAK if this is usual, it seems very lax security to me, the card could have been intercepted in the post and used for multiple transactions of up to £30.

Yet another reason for not wanting one of the damn things! :x

Slarti

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » July 22nd, 2018, 12:28 pm

elkay wrote:With my bank, you have to use the contactless card in a PIN environment once before using it for contactless. Maybe you used the card in an ATM prior to the contactless transaction?

No, it was the first time I had used the card, hence my question.

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » July 22nd, 2018, 4:07 pm

malkymoo wrote:
elkay wrote:With my bank, you have to use the contactless card in a PIN environment once before using it for contactless. Maybe you used the card in an ATM prior to the contactless transaction?

No, it was the first time I had used the card, hence my question.

I wasn't sure if you meant first time on contactless terminal.

This being the case, I think your bank is being a bit lax.

I wonder if they will follow the new (EU!) rules planned for 2019 that the PIN has to be entered after 5 contactless transactions.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 22nd, 2018, 6:27 pm

malkymoo wrote:I received in the post a new contactless credit card yesterday (Visa - Coop Bank). I used it on a contactless terminal to pay for a £25 bill in a supermarket, and expected to be asked for a PIN number as a security confirmation as it was being used for the first time. To my surprise it went through without a pin. DAK if this is usual

Not usual to me. The last couple of times I have received a new contactless card I forgot the requirement before using it on the tube so it was rejected. I had to then buy a KitKat using chip and PIN at the station kiosk before being immediately able to use it contactless.

malkymoo wrote:According to the card T&C, I would be liable for the first £35 of fraudulent transactions after receiving the card and before reporting it missing, however in the event of the card being intercepted, I do not know how I would be expected prove that I had not received the card, or that transactions were in made by me.

Odd T&Cs. Out of interest I checked the T&Cs on the variety of cards I have and none have any potential liability provided you promptly tell the bank (promptly defined by one of the banks being within 13 months of the transaction).

As for using contactless payments, I much prefer contactless to cash as it gives an audit trail of spending for me to use, but rather than use the physical card I tend to use Android Pay as I like the instant notification of you have spent £x.

Return to “Does anyone know?”