Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Killing Flies

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
madhatter
Lemon Slice

Re: Killing Flies

Postby madhatter » August 4th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Whereas i just bought fly, wasp and mosquito spray for £2 in Lidl.

I’d be interested to know how effective it turns out to be, once you’ve had a chance to try it.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » August 4th, 2018, 10:29 pm

We got a kitten, for free.

She chases flies, wasps, spiders, anything that moves. Pretty good at killing most of them. Even the dog was impressed.

Of course, we did need to replace the sofa, curtains and quite a lot of skin, but still, she was free.

VRD

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 5th, 2018, 1:03 am

madhatter wrote:
Whereas i just bought fly, wasp and mosquito spray for £2 in Lidl.

I’d be interested to know how effective it turns out to be, once you’ve had a chance to try it.

I've not got it to hand, so will look tomorrow. But it's a brand name, not their own I think.

Mel

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » August 10th, 2018, 2:12 pm

We have a 16watt Easyzap insect killer in the kitchen - It looks like a smaller version of the devices you see in butchers shops, a couple of purple fluourescent tubes and an electrified grid.

It's not great during the day but it does a great job if left on overnight meaning each morning you start the day with a bug free downstairs.

Should also add that for some reason we were suddently invaded by a platoon of wasps last week, we suspect that they picked up on the smell of cooking meat from the pressure cooker which was sitting under the extractor hood. About a dozen wasps flew in formation through an open Velux window and proceeded to be annoying in the kitchen.

The bug zapper got about half of them in around three minutes, a few were shown to the door while the others were newspapered for a more permanent exit.

These mains zappers seem to be a bit expensive at present, new versions of the model which looks identical to mine are £35, I don't recall spending more than about £15 on mine but I might have bought on a special offer from Nisbets.

Regards,

B.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 12th, 2018, 7:03 pm

The fly spray I bought at Lidl is Raid, it seems fine.

Mel

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 12th, 2018, 8:13 pm

melonfool wrote:The fly spray I bought at Lidl is Raid, it seems fine.

Mel

The fly or the spray?

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 13th, 2018, 12:34 pm

The fly spray I bought at Lidl is Raid, it seems fine

Good to know. Raid used to work well but it seemed possible that in view of the OP the formulation may have changed making it less effective.

I don’t use much so have still got some from years ago but it is running out now so I was thinking about getting a new one.

It is occasionally handy if I become aware of a mozzie in the room when trying to sleep, or for a brief but devastating squirt under the lid of the water butt when a bunch of them are ready to emerge en mass.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 13th, 2018, 3:33 pm

madhatter wrote:Raid used to work well but it seemed possible that in view of the OP the formulation may have changed making it less effective.

I don’t use much so have still got some from years ago but it is running out now so I was thinking about getting a new one.

Ditto - except I'm a little ahead of you and just replaced my years old one. Well, the formula has certainly changed - the scent is different. However, there seems to be little change in the active ingredients. SC Johnson have a disclosure site that lists their products and ingredients. Here's Raid today...

Active Ingredients 1R-trans Phenothrin, Prallethrin
https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/gb ... asp-killer

I've searched the Internet Archive Wayback Machine for previous versions of this page, but seems they are not archived - in fact, the UK-specific site seems a recent addition. Prior to mid-2016 the only English language site was for the US. Here's their Raid page from 2014...

Active Ingredients d-Phenothrin, Prallethrin
https://web.archive.org/web/20141010030 ... iller.aspx

So there's a small change, 1R-trans Phenothrin replaced d-Phenothrin. If anything, this should make it more effective...

while d-phenothrin contains ≥95% 1R isomers, and is a 1:4 mixture of the 1R-cis and 1R-trans isomers. The 1R-trans isomer is more toxic than the 1R-cis isomer
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/dphentech.html

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 13th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Mine is neither of those, it's this:

https://www.4roffice.co.uk/StoreFront/e ... 3GXjehKjIU

Mel

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 13th, 2018, 3:47 pm

melonfool wrote:Mine is neither of those, it's this:

Raid® Protector Fly, Wasp & Mosquito Killer
Active Ingredients Pyrethrins
https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/gb ... ito-killer

Same group of chemicals as used in my Fly & Wasp Killer, maybe with with a broader mix of the various isomers. or maybe it uses the plant-derived ones instead of synthetic versions. The d-phenothrin factsheet I gave earlier says...

d-Phenothrin, also referred to as phenothrin or sumithrin, is a type I pyrethroid insecticide. Pyrethroids are synthetic chemicals modeled after the pyrethrin components of pyrethrum, which is derived from plants...

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 13th, 2018, 3:53 pm

There were two at Lidl, same price, this one had mosquito as well, the other one was just fly and wasp. Can't think why you'd go for something with less functionality for the same price.

Mel

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 13th, 2018, 3:58 pm

melonfool wrote:There were two at Lidl, same price, this one had mosquito as well, the other one was just fly and wasp. Can't think why you'd go for something with less functionality for the same price...

Because Tesco only had one of them when I went shopping... :)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 13th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Breelander wrote:
melonfool wrote:There were two at Lidl, same price, this one had mosquito as well, the other one was just fly and wasp. Can't think why you'd go for something with less functionality for the same price...

Because Tesco only had one of them when I went shopping... :)

I didn't mean you - I have no idea what you bought or from where, I just meant in Lidl, what's the point of the two versions?

My house def has mossies so that was a no brainer for me, even though I have a plug in thing on all the time.

Mel

Return to “Does anyone know?”