Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

No sunburn please, I'm driving

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

No sunburn please, I'm driving

Postby bungeejumper » July 25th, 2018, 11:02 am

Please excuse my posting on this forum, rather than on driving or medical matters - I reckon I'll get a broader response here.

The first bad news - I got attacked by a wasp on Monday, which managed to sting me five or six times in three seconds, and which has left the back of my left hand horribly swollen and itchy, while one of my knuckles is also too swollen to work at all really. The second bad news is that next week I am due for a straight 600 mile drive through heatwave France! How do I keep the sun from frying my poor over-sensitive paw? Should I be wearing white cotton gloves or something? (And where do I get some?)

I've got good aircon, of course, and my screen has a good level of tint. I'm using anti-histamine cream (and tablets), but at the moment the only thing that's cooling it is a bucket of iced water, which won't be much use on the autoroute. Apart from factor 50 sunscreen (of course), what do others do when on the move?

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think the sting sites are infected - they're just swollen and very itchy. But hot sun through the windscreen is just about the last thing I want. Suggestions?

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: No sunburn please, I'm driving

Postby Itsallaguess » July 25th, 2018, 11:07 am

bungeejumper wrote:
For the avoidance of doubt, I don't think the sting sites are infected - they're just swollen and very itchy. But hot sun through the windscreen is just about the last thing I want.

Suggestions?

Do you have a Wilko's nearby?

Wilko Moisturising Gloves - £1

Get softer hands within weeks with our moisturising gloves. Simply apply your favourite lotion and slip your hand into the glove to enhance the softening and moisturising effect of your favourite hand cream. 95% cotton, 5% elastane.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-moist ... /p/0347971

The user-reviews look very promising, and combined with some soothing cream, sound like they'll do the job nicely.

They look to only come in one size, so do check before purchase if you're thinking of trying them out.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 25th, 2018, 11:13 am

Car windscreens block all the harmful UVB rays, and most of the less harmful UVA rays (apparently), so sunburn shouldn't be an issue while driving. The heat could make it uncomfortable, of course.

Scott.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » July 25th, 2018, 11:28 am

Sorry to hear about the wasp sting.

If it's any help, last time either Mrs Watis or I got stung by a wasp, the swelling increased over the first 48 hours, then eased over the next 48 hours.

So hopefully you'll be nearly back to normal by the weekend.

HTH,

Watis

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 25th, 2018, 12:09 pm

On a slightly similar note, I managed to pour boiling water over the back of my hand on Friday, leaving a small patch of scalding. It seemed completely non-serious. But then on Monday it got exposed to sun+sweat as I did a bit of gardening, and that was painful. And yesterday as I walked to the supermarket I had the sun behind me so not on the scald, but returning home it was getting painful and blistered, so I tied my handkerchief around the hand for protection.

It seems to be healing OK, but any tips?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 25th, 2018, 12:15 pm

I bought a cheap 3 pack of gardening gloves in in a local shop where the lightest weight are useless for gardening, but I have worn them when driving in very hot conditions.

Or there are these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gleader-COTTON ... hin+gloves

Slarti

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 25th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I usually find that positioning the air vents so they are directing air at my hands works.

John

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » July 25th, 2018, 6:51 pm

bungeejumper wrote:.........................Suggestions?BJ

Suggestion #1. Stop being a wuzz. ;)
Suggestion #2. Have you considered driving at night? France Meteo are forcasting 'canicule' from tomorrow onwards. That's where the temperature remains pretty much the same 24 hours a day with a slight drop overnight and with forecasts of 37°C and higher in some departments in the south night driving is possibly the better option.
Also, as a heads up, from July 1st this year the government has reduced the speed limit on all two-way roads without a central reservation from 90 kph to 80 kph. This does NOT apply to dual carriageways where there is a division between the two directions.
Sorry to be the bearer of two pieces of bad news. Have yourself a good holiday and I'll keep an eye open so as to profer you a 'bon journée'. :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 25th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Cheers, PG. Wuzz, me? Well, I've had blistered forearms enough times to have learnt my lesson when driving in la belle France. Having also endured golfball hailstones on the A75 and apple-sized car-crushers outside Paris, I've learned not to underestimate the country's capacity for chucking big weather at you.

panamagold wrote:Suggestion #2. Have you considered driving at night? France Meteo are forcasting 'canicule' from tomorrow onwards.

Ah, those were the days. We used to drive overnight all the way from Cherbourg down to Dordogne, with the roof down and "rock'n roll music blasting off the T-top" (thank you Bruce), and with the car filling up with moths and other forms of wildlife, but it's getting a bit late in the day for that sort of caper. These days we do the glorious seven hour run from Le Havre to Tarn/Millau in the daytime, and enjoy every moment of it. Unless, of course, we hit fog in the Massif Central, which can be thick enough to bring the motorway to a complete halt. (Which can also be dicey, French motorists being what they are. ;) )
Also, as a heads up, from July 1st this year the government has reduced the speed limit on all two-way roads without a central reservation from 90 kph to 80 kph. This does NOT apply to dual carriageways where there is a division between the two directions.

Yes, thanks, I was prepared for that one. They do tell me that les flics will be on every main road to enforce the new limit, which should be quite a money spinner for the state. I can't really see the French slowing to 80kph anywhere, can you? I have my satnav and my new dashcam ready for use.

Surprisingly, next weekend is not a black travel day, even southbound. Whereas the 3rd/4th/5th is. Northbound mid-month might be a different matter, though. So whereabouts are you?

BJ

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » July 25th, 2018, 8:51 pm

bungeejumper wrote:These days we do the glorious seven hour run from Le Havre to Tarn/Millau in the daytime, and enjoy every moment of it.
BJ

Which route do you recommend? Skirting Paris or more westerly via Le Mans?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 25th, 2018, 9:08 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Which route do you recommend? Skirting Paris or more westerly via Le Mans?

Neither, funnily enough. ;) We've tried it most ways over the years, including Dover and the Peripherique, but it suits us better to arrive at Cherbourg or Caen or Le Havre. From there we head along the A13 toward Rouen and head south down the (largely dual carriageway) N154 to Evreux and Chartres, a road that not everybody knows about. (Check it out.) Then suddenly you're bearing down on Orleans, having picked up the A10 motorway and then the A71 toward Clermont-Ferrand. Job done, you can put the map away. And by then the sunflowers have started and the sky is - well, as blue as Wiltshire.…..

Le Mans/Tours/Argentan etc is okay from Normandy if you're staying further west, eg Bordeaux or the Vendee, or over toward Poitiers and Limoges. But we're heading for the very centre of France, which is the fast way to the Med. Just our personal preference. :)

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”