Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tame a Classical Music collection

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Arfer

Tame a Classical Music collection

Postby Arfer » August 29th, 2018, 12:08 pm

PC files are easily organised, indexing a Classical Music collection is not compatible with the simple heirarchical structure originating from DOS.

As age creeps up, my memory not being what it was, I need a place to go to find a recording by Glenn Gould, a Bach partita or a song title.

I need a system to handle 50gb of mp3 files with duplicates metadata editing etc, in the vain hope that I can arrive at a tidy collection.

I'm sure someone has an answer?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tame a Classical Music collection

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 29th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Arfer wrote:PC files are easily organised, indexing a Classical Music collection is not compatible with the simple heirarchical structure originating from DOS.

As age creeps up, my memory not being what it was, I need a place to go to find a recording by Glenn Gould, a Bach partita or a song title.

I need a system to handle 50gb of mp3 files with duplicates metadata editing etc, in the vain hope that I can arrive at a tidy collection.

Not sure if I have an answer, you can add, view and search metadata in Windows but presumably you would have to add the metadata yourself which sounds like a formidable task with 50GB of mp3 files.

RC

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 29th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Are you looking for an application to play your music, with a search on metadata?

I suspect many applications can do this. For example, VLC Media Player (here's the portable version: https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/vlc_portable) allows you to edit metadata, search on metadata and play music.

--kiloran

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » August 29th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Arfer wrote:

If you want a program to just edit the tags on the mp3's then give MP3Tag a try. It's free and it works for me. If you want to do more, such as index and search all the files then I don't think it will.

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Arfer

Postby Arfer » September 1st, 2018, 10:39 pm

Thanks for the inputs.

My principal objective was to sync music between PC and Galaxy s8, and to be able to get music by Artist, composer or title.

I like iTunes layout on PC and would like an auto sync to S8 when within wifi range, and am still looking. Some phone apps look reasonable and then I read the reviews... and keep looking.

Arfer

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 2nd, 2018, 9:52 am

Arfer wrote:...and then I read the reviews... and keep looking.
Sorry I know too little to be of any help, but am interested, so when you find what you're looking for perhaps you could let us know what it turns out to be?

Thanks,
Chris

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » September 2nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

I use Syncthing with the SyncTrayzor front end to sync files between a pc and a phone. It sounds like this would resolve the first part of the problem.

When you walk into the house, and wifi connects, files or folders which have been set up to sync automatically sync between the two. You can set it up so it only syncs one way if you prefer. i.e. only copies from the phone to the pc, or only copies from the pc to the phone.

It is a little fiddly to set up in the first instance, and best done initially with a test folder to see how it works, but it works reliably and in the background, so you would not know it is doing the job until you need the files and they are there.

Chris

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » September 3rd, 2018, 7:57 am

I have around 22,000 tracks in my MP3 collection, so I get your problem.

Both the searching and the amount of space require.

My solution: iTunes Match (keeps the tracks in the cloud and allows me to play across wifi), backed up the files to an external portable drive (so I can play music when wifi isn't an option) and bought a second raspberry pi and made use of an old laptop hard drive to create storage for the pi.

So now I use iTunes on my laptop when on wifi, the laptop or pi when travelling with the an external drive if I dont want to use the local wifi.

I plug the pi into the TV or music centre when at home and just run it headless - I prefer command line, but there are other options, so I have the "local" files available.

The whole lot cost me about £100. In the short future around £27 a year for iTunes Match.

I hope it helps in someway, my mp3 library grows by 3 or 4 LP's a month, so you can see I've got an addiction. I also subscribe to Spotify

I use VLC from time to time and MusicBrainz Picard to update meta data tags. Otherwise, I just let iTunes do it's thing!

Arfer

Postby Arfer » September 5th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Media Monkey had been pointed out by a friend. Seems a great database tool.

Am learning that the metadata needs to be kept a close eyey on. Johann Sebastian Bach, Johan Sebastian Bach, J.S. Bach and variations of Bach, J.S. etc all need to be chased down and regularised or you search on all possible combinations.

Pop music has its advantages! (And I needn't waste time being deafened by it.)

Arrfer

Return to “Does anyone know?”