Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Water/electric: dealing with 'overlap' in dates when moving

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Water/electric: dealing with 'overlap' in dates when moving

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 10th, 2018, 10:32 pm

I'm moving shortly, from one rented flat to another
My move in date will be around the 15th Sept, but I've got the current place until 30th September
I'll be moving 'gradually' as I have lots of stuff to shift etc, so I'm glad I have the overlap
I'll be using water and electricity in both flats for a while - is this going to blow the minds of Thames Water and SSE ? I'll be remaining in the same supply areas, Assume this is not uncommon, and that often people will have two premises on the go concurrently...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: Water/electric: dealing with 'overlap' in dates when moving

Postby gryffron » September 10th, 2018, 10:57 pm

No problem at all. Don't tell them. Dont treat it as a move using a single continuous contract. That really will blow their minds. Rather, you sign a new contract for the new place. Sometime later you cancel the contract for the old one. This works fine even if you use the same providers. They don't seem smart enough to link the fact you are the same person. Or perhaps they just don't care.

Gryff

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 10th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Makes sense!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 11th, 2018, 9:46 am

As Gryff said - they don't care. Landlords quite often take over the costs during voids.

Also you need to consider Council tax - you will need to pay for both properties for the overlap, but one will be empty (you can't live in both) and so can get a discount depending upon the authority.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housi ... uncil-tax/
"A local authority can offer a discount of 100% or less, or even no discount at all, on a property which is: empty and substantially unfurnished. The reduction applies for a maximum of six months and the property has to be vacant for the whole of this period."

Some councils only offer a week, so you could get 1 week free in each property :)

Paul

Return to “Does anyone know?”