Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

King Size or Super King Size bed?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

King Size or Super King Size bed?

Postby Clariman » September 12th, 2018, 4:26 pm

We are going to reconfigure our bedroom and buy a new bed too. There is ample space for a Super King Size bed, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra money. That said, it will be something that will last many years.

Those who have considered this same decision - what did you go for? Are you pleased with your decision? Do you get a better night sleep in the bigger bed or is it no different?

I appreciate this is not quite a DAK but opinions appreciated.

Thanks
Clariman

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Re: King Size or Super King Size bed?

Postby robbelg » September 12th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Super King Size - I love it - nothing else to say.

Rob

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » September 12th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Recently bought a new King Sized bed to replace a double spare bed. Its quite big enough for a good nights sleep IMO. The solid base and headboard was purchased from Ebay direct from the manufacturer for £279 a fraction of the cost of similar ones from DFS etc who seem to charge over £300 for just the headboard! The bed base is sort that is hinged at the bedhead and raises up the solid lid to reveal storage space assisted by gas struts. It offers a massive storage space where we are now keep specific sets of duvets pillows and bedding for our visiting kids and partners. Saves a load of hassle and washing every time they come.
The mattress was a Casper one for £500 odd as recommended by Which that came rolled up in cling film type stuff. Its excellent. Cant be more specific on a Super size one because we have never tried one except in posh hotels. Which now seem to rate the Eve one better and both Casper and Eve will let you try them for 100 days and refund you if you dont like the mattress.

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » September 12th, 2018, 5:20 pm

We got a king size for the increased length because we are both tall. We did have a super king on holiday once but my O.H. decided I was too far away for her liking (!) and it was too big because there was cold bits at the edges and in between us.
I’d also point out that bed linen comes in single, double and king but not normally super king so less of a choice there.
One silly thing that really annoys me is that king duvet size is 225cmx220cm so having put the duvet in the cover the right way round, it’s not always obvious and you’re never really sure it’s correct.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » September 12th, 2018, 5:46 pm

uspaul666 wrote:...
I’d also point out that bed linen comes in single, double and king but not normally super king so less of a choice there.

But you can take an option I've only encountered in Austria - a duvet each.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 12th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Super King sized and bed linen to fit is no problem.

Dod

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » September 12th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Another 'vote' for super-king. Never had any problem with bedding - in fact Mrs S often seems to be able to locate high quality bed linen in Homesense/TKMaxx at very good prices. Do take care with the mattress. We possibly selected a mattress which was a little firm and we eventually needed to add a memory foam topper. If we had to buy a new bed we would not buy a smaller one now.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 13th, 2018, 10:23 am

We went for ziplock, two 3' matresses zipped together. That way I can have a firmer mattress than she does and I don't bounce her about, so much, when I turn over.

Best bed decision we've ever made.

Slarti

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Depends who's going to sleep in it.

For humans, that's a function of age. A single is fine for a student-age couple, but your needs expand with age.

If there's a cat involved, there's no such thing as big enough.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 13th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Thanks all

UncleE,

We are planning on it being just the 2 of us in bed ... certainly no cats.

We have a king size at the moment. We've chosen a better quality mattress with firm/medium sides of the bed. We just need to decide whether a Super King is worth the extra money. Seems to be popular with those here who have chosen to go that route.

Clariman

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 16th, 2018, 7:20 pm

We just ordered a new bed, after returning to the UK from years abroad. We went to John Lewis, spoke to their consultants, tested several beds and considered how they each felt. Spent 5-10mins lying on each. The salesman observed our posture whilst prone and made suggestions re: how your posture should be on a mattress. Hence we decided to get a mattress with split/different hardnesses. JL even suggested we could go to their test facility [like a hotel/free, I don't know?] where we could trial out what we'd chosen.

Wasn't cheap, but I'm thinking the quality should last for many years. I really don't recommend the likes of IKEA mattresses; even their top 'premium lines'; a year or two and they're shot.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » September 16th, 2018, 8:25 pm

We have in our house abroad (bought it with the house) a very comfortable bed which is in effect two singles, each with own base,springs, legs and own mattress with head and foot boards spanning the pair, we each have our own duvet (different weights) and there is no sag/roll to centre and it has the ability to have two different mattresses to suit the two individuals.

We sleep far better there than here though that may be due to all the fresh air,

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » September 17th, 2018, 9:12 am

Strongly endorse those saying Super King, they're absolutely fantastic IMHO.

I would also add that when combined with a Sensaform Memory Active 6000 from 'Bensons for Beds', it's significantly improved my sleep. Don't be put off by the 'memory' bit, this is a lovely mattress, and very good value for money. Make sure you try the 6000 and not the 9000 or 3000. The 6000 is spot on for me at least.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 17th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:We have in our house abroad (bought it with the house) a very comfortable bed which is in effect two singles, each with own base,springs, legs and own mattress with head and foot boards spanning the pair, we each have our own duvet (different weights) and there is no sag/roll to centre and it has the ability to have two different mattresses to suit the two individuals.

We sleep far better there than here though that may be due to all the fresh air,

That is what I meant by ziplock, though our matresses have zips down each side to fasten them together and connecting bars on the base so that they don't move apart.

Slarti

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 17th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone. We have decided on zip-lock Super King with one side firm and one side medium.

Having done a European touring holiday this summer, staying it lots of different hotels, we did like the larger beds we had in some.

Clariman

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 18th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Clariman wrote:Having done a European touring holiday this summer, staying it lots of different hotels, we did like the larger beds we had in some.

Warning, it is a shock to the system when you find that you are staying somewhere with what was described as a double, but that you think is a 3/4 sized bed :shock:

That cosy does not lead to a good night's sleep :cry:

Slarti

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 19th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I understand that a very large proportion of the population are overweight. The average size has also increased generally. Could the attraction of large and even larger beds be the result of large and even larger people ? Or are we not allowed to discuss the subject ?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 20th, 2018, 12:12 am

richlist wrote:I understand that a very large proportion of the population are overweight. The average size has also increased generally. Could the attraction of large and even larger beds be the result of large and even larger people ? Or are we not allowed to discuss the subject ?

It can certainly be discussed but, as the OP, I'd kindly suggest it would be a little off topic on this thread.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 20th, 2018, 12:24 am

For the record can I say that I am 6 foot and around 13 stone but I love my enormous Super King size bed. I loved it even more when my wife was with me but that is another story.

If you have the space, larger beds are better.

Dod

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » September 26th, 2018, 2:09 pm

We have a super king size.
Bought it from Indigo - https://www.indigofurniture.co.uk/beds/wooden-beds - after comfy sleeping at a hotel they had supplied.

Whether better night's sleep to an extent depends upon the quality of mattress.

Advantages:
More space for newspapers and reading matter.
More space to move around at leisure.
More space for teddy bears /soft toys during the day: same for pets.
Might appeal to singles envisaging, but might be an idea to hide chains on first date :)
Positioning the bed frame could be an issue: heavier item of furniture to move around

Disadvantages:
if the space between the underside of the bed frame and the floor is open then dust can and does gather underneath.
Cats (not an issue for the op) are prone to sitting almost dead-centre under the bed so can be difficult to extricate when.if the word 'vet' is mentioned in their company.
A similar principle applies to storing (cardboard) boxes under the bed: it is only really practical to do so within arm's reach.
If you have a super king size duvet then dry-cleaning every so often is more expensive: we pay about £20 before discount to Johnson cleaners via John Lewis
Making the bed (not literally) every day without help requires stamina: not ideal if your sleeping partner is not up to the task.
If you have a super king-size duvet then when shifting your body positioning (including turning over) useful to get into the habit of gripping the underside of the duvet before moving your body, otherwise the whole lot could uncover your sleeping partner.
Ironing sheets can be fiddly and take longer. (I lay ours outstretched on the floor carpet, before folding and feeding through a press.)
Turning the mattress is a challenge: particularly if there's not that much space between the width edges of the bed frame and the bedroom cupboards/walls. (I slide approximately one-third of our mattress off the bed frame and onto the floor, then slowly lift up the other two-thirds at an angle, being careful not to let the mattress twist or buckle) and rest it on the bedroom cupboard/wall. Then I drag the underside of the mattress that's on the floor towards me and carefully lift and ease it back onto the bed frame.

Return to “Does anyone know?”