Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Orange boxes...

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

Orange boxes...

Postby didds » September 14th, 2018, 8:20 pm

when i were a nipper etc etc for toy boxes my mum used to get what she cal;led "orange boxes". My recollection is of fairly rough wooden crates approx twice as long as their wide or deep. Imagine two perfect cvubes side by side with one side of the (now) rectangular box open (though it still had the central divider so to speak so it still looked like two boxes side by side. Hope that makes sense! So called "orange boxes" because presumably oranges were transported in them.

I cant recall the dimensions of them (18 inches wide by deep and 2x18 inch long maybe - ish?) but does this description ring any bells with anybody? Ive googled "orange boxes" but all I get (unsurprisingly!) are various boxes coloured orange - LOL.

didds

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Re: Orange boxes...

Postby Imbiber » September 14th, 2018, 8:37 pm

TwmSionCati
Lemon Pip

Postby TwmSionCati » September 14th, 2018, 10:03 pm

Not sure what you want to know: the ones in my shed contained oranges — “Produit du Maroc” — grown in Sidi Slimane and exported under the brand-name “Or-Slimane” by Alfred Riquelme, of 1 Place Mirabeau, Casablanca.

Dimensions: 26” x 12” x 12”, or thereabouts externally; but internally the two compartments are as you noted perfect cubes, 300mm x 300mm x 300mm.

The central divider of which you speak separates them from all those pictured in the result of Imbiber’s googling.

TSC

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 14th, 2018, 10:12 pm

just wondered if they still existed :-)

cheers! and thanks for your very fullsome answer :)

didds

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » September 15th, 2018, 9:30 am

Much to my surprise, and dismay, at some point in the last two years, my daughter obtained four of these ugly things for use in her kitchen. Dismay because I was then lumbered with fitting four castors to each of them - and they were not particularly good wood into which screws could easily be screwed without splitting the wood.

But then perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised, she does after all, have form for buying drawers and other storage furniture made from what looks like reclaimed wood. Ugly stuff!

ten0rman

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 15th, 2018, 9:56 am

Imbiber wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wooden+fruit+boxes+wholesale&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw49iwnrvdAhULB8AKHXDYCkwQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=631

HTH

Starting from Imbiber's link, I found https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=192 ... ZPuTJ_2myM:

Would that be what you were after?

VRD

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 15th, 2018, 10:04 am

didds wrote:when i were a nipper etc etc for toy boxes my mum used to get what she cal;led "orange boxes". My recollection is of fairly rough wooden crates approx twice as long as their wide or deep. Imagine two perfect cvubes side by side with one side of the (now) rectangular box open (though it still had the central divider so to speak so it still looked like two boxes side by side. Hope that makes sense! So called "orange boxes" because presumably oranges were transported in them.

I cant recall the dimensions of them (18 inches wide by deep and 2x18 inch long maybe - ish?) but does this description ring any bells with anybody? Ive googled "orange boxes" but all I get (unsurprisingly!) are various boxes coloured orange - LOL.

didds

We had an orange box exactly as described. Used on end as a bedside cabinet for my brother. It says a lot about how times have changed that I really coveted that orange box and we never had another one...

John

Return to “Does anyone know?”