Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Trying to buy a print

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Trying to buy a print

Postby Clitheroekid » September 16th, 2018, 12:20 am

Some time ago I saw a print and decided I'd like to own it. It's a limited edition of 150, but so far I've only been able to find one copy for sale and it's in New York. Not only is it too expensive (partly, no doubt, because of the weak pound) but I'd also have to pay VAT on it.

There have been a couple of examples that have been sold over the past couple of years through Sotheby's and Christie's, but apart from the difficulty of finding out when one comes up for auction I strongly object to paying the extortionate buyer's premium of 30% (I've never been able to understand how they get away with charging this, but that's a different matter).

It's not the sort of item that's likely to appear on eBay, so I was wondering if there's any similar setup to eBay that specifically deals in art. Logically, I'd be almost certain to get a far better price buying it privately, without either a dealer's or auctioneer's cut, but I can't find any such facility.

I've Googled extensively without success, so I think I'm doomed to disappointment, but I thought I may as well ask, just in case someone did know of such a site.

Likewise, if anyone can suggest any other method of locating one that's for sale I'd be grateful to hear of it.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Re: Trying to buy a print

Postby poundcoin » September 16th, 2018, 12:44 am

You could try signing up to "the saleroom".
I signed up to watch (via their live video links) auctions throughout the country at various auction houses .

To be honest never bought anything but I believe you can get a reminder if a particular item you want comes up .
Go here and click on "How to buy" tab.
You can also leave a maximum bid price I believe if you can't follow the live auction

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » September 16th, 2018, 2:41 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I've Googled extensively without success, so I think I'm doomed to disappointment, but I thought I may as well ask, just in case someone did know of such a site.
Likewise, if anyone can suggest any other method of locating one that's for sale I'd be grateful to hear of it.

Is the artist alive and contactable?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 16th, 2018, 8:23 am

I have been in a similar position to CK. I went to my local(or not so local in my case) art dealer and asked them for advice. If they are prepared to operate on a commission, maybe they would be prepared to source a print for him or point him in the right direction. That worked with me, but the alternative is Ebay or similar such as the site someone else mentioned.

Or simply buy from the NY site. If there is only one for sale in the whole world (and there are only 150 available) he would need to swallow the price (but of course negotiate)

Dod

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » September 16th, 2018, 10:09 am

Clitheroekid, Check your PM's

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 16th, 2018, 10:24 am

If the artist is still alive and is of the stature of having their prints traded at the big auction sites then they will probably be represented by a gallery and those galleries do often trade in older editions alongside new works and sometimes have older stuff in their stockrooms that is for sale. This is sometimes still true of the recently-deceased where the history of the relationship lingers, e.g. the late Howard Hodgkin was represented by the Alan Cristea Gallery in London and they still represent the estate and carry some older prints (https://www.alancristea.com/artists/45-howard-hodgkin/).

One warning though, the whole market knows about and has absorbed the 30% buyer's premium (extortionate I agree) so you are unlikely to find a real bargain from galleries. Auctions can be quite unpredictable so sometimes it is worth putting in a cheeky bid at or even slightly below the lower estimate (too far below and you might not reach the reserve price so not get the item). There have been a couple of occasions where I've not got round to putting in an absentee bid on something that I've liked at print auctions at major auction houses only to subsequently see the item not sold, i.e. I could have had it for the low estimate (plus buyer's premium etc of course).

In light of my experience above I tend to agree with Dod's advice. If you really want it think hard about setting aside your irritation at the buyer's premium and grabbing the one on offer in NY if you can. Or at least put yourself into the game by registering an absentee bid at the low end of the scale such that, once you've grossed it up with the premium, you can live with what you ended up paying were you to win it.

- Julian

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 16th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Likewise, if anyone can suggest any other method of locating one that's for sale I'd be grateful to hear of it.

Recently I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a print directly from the estate of the deceased artist. As others have mentioned, a bit of detective work can help.

GS
P.S. You might want to be cautious about buying prints now if someone like me has also been doing so...!

Return to “Does anyone know?”