Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Car Hire Gatwick Airport

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
swill453
Lemon Half

Car Hire Gatwick Airport

Postby swill453 » October 4th, 2018, 2:23 pm

I'm looking to hire a car from Gatwick for 4 days at the beginning of December. In various multi-agency searches I am finding off-site brands I don't recognise (Easirent.com, Green Motion) that charge £5 or less per day, or on-site big names like Budget, Sixt etc. charging £25+ per day, and nothing in between.

The former lot can't be making money at that price, so make me a bit suspicious. I have annual excess cover so would be resisting any upselling of insurance.

And the price differential going up to the big brands seems a bit excessive, unless I'm persuaded it's worth it.

Any recommendations?

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Car Hire Gatwick Airport

Postby Slarti » October 4th, 2018, 4:29 pm

swill453 wrote:I'm looking to hire a car from Gatwick for 4 days at the beginning of December. In various multi-agency searches I am finding off-site brands I don't recognise (Easirent.com, Green Motion) that charge £5 or less per day, or on-site big names like Budget, Sixt etc. charging £25+ per day, and nothing in between.

The former lot can't be making money at that price, so make me a bit suspicious. I have annual excess cover so would be resisting any upselling of insurance.

And the price differential going up to the big brands seems a bit excessive, unless I'm persuaded it's worth it.

Any recommendations?

Scott.

No recommendations, just a thought. The on airport companies will be paying the airport a big chunk of the difference for the privilege of giving you convenience.

Slarti

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » October 5th, 2018, 10:53 am

I also have no experience of Gatwick car rentals, but do live nearby. I would suggest looking into picking the car up in Crawley or Horsham. This would only entail a 5 mins train journey to Crawley, or 10 mins to Horsham. There are a few rental companies in each and they probably don't have the same overheads as a major airport.

MM

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » October 5th, 2018, 2:50 pm

swill453 wrote:I'm looking to hire a car from Gatwick for 4 days at the beginning of December. In various multi-agency searches I am finding off-site brands I don't recognise (Easirent.com, Green Motion) that charge £5 or less per day, or on-site big names like Budget, Sixt etc. charging £25+ per day, and nothing in between.

Any recommendations?

Scott.

I've rented a few cars from Gatwick for this reason, same with Heathrow (even though I wasnt flying). It seems the way to get the cheapest deals in London. I've never had any significant problems.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 6th, 2018, 6:14 pm

So in the end I've gone for Budget at the airport for £69 for a 4 day hire of a small car. I could have paid £14 for the same at an off-site place. However that's so cheap they must be trying other ways of extracting money from customers, whether devious or above-board.

Ironically if they'd charged double or triple the amount I might have been less suspicious and gone for them.

Scott.

Return to “Does anyone know?”