Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Halogenated Organic Compounds

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Peanutte
Lemon Pip

Halogenated Organic Compounds

Postby Peanutte » October 9th, 2018, 10:12 am

We have a wood burning stove. Up til now we have bought wood for burning, but I now have some 'treated' wood as well - mainly old kitchen cabinets. They are wood with minimal glue, with hardboard backs.

The Defra website says I can use wood which does not contain 'halogenated organic compounds' or 'heavy metals' as a result of treating with wood preservatives or coatings.

I have Googled halogenated organic compounds, but I really do not understand the results.

Does anyone know if these are in 'prepared' wood, eg old furniture.

Thanks.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Halogenated Organic Compounds

Postby richlist » October 9th, 2018, 11:08 am

Surely kitchen cabinets will have all sorts of nasty materials, chemicals, compounds, glues etc.
Burning anything other than well seasoned natural untreated timber is not recommended.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 9th, 2018, 5:19 pm

It all depends on the glue used. PVA is a common glue, which would have no halogen compounds. Is anyone going to check your chimney stack?

TJH

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 9th, 2018, 11:56 pm

This is a tad anecdotal so please bear with...

One day I found a six foot length of what I imagined to be an old telegraph pole lying on a grass verge near my home. I put it in the boot and drove it home where I chain-sawed it into three lengths for the fireplace.

That evening I chucked the first bit on the open fire and fell asleep on the sofa. I awoke in the night. Every time I breathed in it was like I was breathing in a mixture of peppermint and fire. It didn't abate. I went upstairs and said goodbye to my (then) wife. I honestly believed I had wrecked my lungs and would not wake up.

In the morning as I came to I immediately remembered the previous night and cautiously breathed in.

Nothing.

Not a hint of a problem.

So I now am very cautious about burning anything abnormal on an open fire (not that I have one anymore).

Regards,
Chris

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 10th, 2018, 12:28 am

csearle wrote:This is a tad anecdotal so please bear with...

One day I found a six foot length of what I imagined to be an old telegraph pole lying on a grass verge near my home. I put it in the boot and drove it home where I chain-sawed it into three lengths for the fireplace. ...

It sounds like a very short pole or you had a very wide fireplace.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 10th, 2018, 7:35 am

PinkDalek wrote:It sounds like a very short pole or you had a very wide fireplace.
The fireplace was about three feet wide with a wrought iron grate in it. C. :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 10th, 2018, 7:52 am

csearle wrote:I found a six foot length of what I imagined to be an old telegraph pole lying on a grass verge near my home. I put it in the boot and drove it home where I chain-sawed it into three lengths for the fireplace.

I might guess that old poles and fences are basically wood and creosote. Since creosote is a derivative of coal then I would not worry too much about burning it domestically although I'd probably put it in a furnace rather than an open fireplace.

Old IKEA or Howden kitchen cabinets are another matter and I've no idea what chemicals are in there or even how much "wood" there really is. That would go on one of my occasional big back garden fires (although I feel sure they break some local bye law and I risk a visit from Nigel Twerp from the council).

I am also willing to take more risks with camp fires although position myself upwind of them in any event. Most wood product can be burned one way or the other but a little common sense is always in order . . .

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 10th, 2018, 8:51 am

Burning quantities of anything other than seasoned untreated plain wood can damage the flue lining. Even burning lots of softwood is not recommended by wood burner manufacturers.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 10th, 2018, 10:17 am

richlist wrote:Burning quantities of anything other than seasoned untreated plain wood can damage the flue lining. Even burning lots of softwood is not recommended by wood burner manufacturers.

By coincidence I've just had some Douglas Fir felled and looked into its suitability for burning. I have a woodstove and am very fussy about what I burn.

Burning softwoods on an open fire is probably not a good idea for the reason you mention. On the other hand plenty of people (in Canada, for example) have no hardwood available but manage to burn softwoods in a stove with little problem. But in order to burn softwoods without tarring up a flue lining it is probably more important than with hardwoods that the wood be as dry as possible and burnt in a hot stove. I have a very fussy chimney sweep and he sweeps the chimney once a year; the amount of soot removed would just about fit into a cereal bowl.

RC

Return to “Does anyone know?”