Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Phasing out of fast freeze switches on freezers

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Stompa
Lemon Slice

Re: Phasing out of fast freeze switches on freezers

Postby Stompa » October 11th, 2018, 10:24 am

midnightcatprowl wrote:My comment on 'claims' to be frost free relates to the fact that actually both do operate in a frost free way except that they tend to dump the water on the bottom of the freezer where it then freezes again.

I took delivery of my first frost-free fridge freezer a couple of days ago. It's only been running for about 40 hours so far, but I'm somewhat surprised to find that the transparent plastic drawer fronts in the freezer are already starting to fog up, and I imagine that will slowly become frost. Perhaps I was expecting too much of frost-free, is this normal?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 11th, 2018, 11:04 am

Stompa wrote:
midnightcatprowl wrote:My comment on 'claims' to be frost free relates to the fact that actually both do operate in a frost free way except that they tend to dump the water on the bottom of the freezer where it then freezes again.

I took delivery of my first frost-free fridge freezer a couple of days ago. It's only been running for about 40 hours so far, but I'm somewhat surprised to find that the transparent plastic drawer fronts in the freezer are already starting to fog up, and I imagine that will slowly become frost. Perhaps I was expecting too much of frost-free, is this normal?

Any fogging should be cleared by the auto-defrost process. It might form as a result of opening the door and moisture from the air in the room immediately condensing on the drawer fronts.

In my experience of two frost-free freezers, the auto-defrost process is a little noisier than the standard cooling function when it kicks in and the sounds are different. I would guess auto-defrosting happens about once a day. I don't know what triggers it.

If it is working correctly, you will not get a build-up of ice anywhere in the freezer.

HTH,

Watis

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » October 11th, 2018, 11:49 am

I'm somewhat surprised to find that the transparent plastic drawer fronts in the freezer are already starting to fog up, and I imagine that will slowly become frost

All my drawer fronts are 'fogged' but it never turns to frost. I think fogging is pretty much inevitable given the need to open the door to get things out and put things in.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 11th, 2018, 12:17 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:All my drawer fronts are 'fogged' but it never turns to frost. I think fogging is pretty much inevitable given the need to open the door to get things out and put things in.

Watis wrote:Any fogging should be cleared by the auto-defrost process. It might form as a result of opening the door and moisture from the air in the room immediately condensing on the drawer fronts.

Thanks, I'm sure that's correct, you can see them fogging as soon as you open the door. But they look as if they're already fogged at the point of opening, so I suspect the auto-defrost isn't completely clearing them. I guess another potential cause might be a leaky door seal, but it looks fine to me.

Watis wrote:If it is working correctly, you will not get a build-up of ice anywhere in the freezer.

It's early days, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens longer term!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 11th, 2018, 12:38 pm

What make and model is it, Stompa? I'm still undecided as to whether I will have problems with the Lec. Still no reply from Lec to my queries.I don't understand how it can be dumping and freezing water on the base if you have only had it such a short time. Certainly should not happen. Never did with mine till it went wrong recently.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 11th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Bouleversee wrote:What make and model is it, Stompa?

It's one of these:

https://www.johnlewis.com/beko-cjff1582 ... e/p3545043

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 11th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Stompa wrote:

It's one of these:

I should contact John Lewis then. I suppose you haven't left the fast freeze switch on by any chance?

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 11th, 2018, 3:23 pm

It's one of these:

Bouleversee wrote:I don't understand how it can be dumping and freezing water on the base if you have only had it such a short time.

It's not, and I hope it never comes to that. It appears to be condensation on the freezer drawer fronts, but I can't help thinking that if auto-defrost doesn't shift it, then it may end up building up into something worse. Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic, we'll have to wait and see.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 11th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I suppose you haven't left the fast freeze switch on by any chance?

That would be difficult, there isn't one!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 11th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Apologies. I confused yours with another post.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 11th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Stompa wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I suppose you haven't left the fast freeze switch on by any chance?

That would be difficult, there isn't one!

Interesting. I had clicked on your link and gone onto the product specification for that FF and it said there was a fast freeze switch which enabled faster freezing and hence better flavour. Perhaps they have phased it out as on the Lec one and forgotten to alter their info. https://www.johnlewis.com/beko-cjff1582 ... e/p3545043. Perhaps whatever alterations they have had to make to remove fast freeze is affecting the performance. I must say I would prefer one. I always thought it was essential to freeze things quickly. Perhaps without FF they are only suitable for storing pre-frozen items. Does your manual say anything about freezing capacity and time it takes?

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 11th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Interesting. I had clicked on your link and gone onto the product specification for that FF and it said there was a fast freeze switch which enabled faster freezing and hence better flavour.

No, that's just the popup that appears to explain what each item means. What it actually says is 'Information not available', which is not terribly helpful! I doubt there ever was such a switch on this model.

Bouleversee wrote:I must say I would prefer one. I always thought it was essential to freeze things quickly. Perhaps without FF they are only suitable for storing pre-frozen items. Does your manual say anything about freezing capacity and time it takes?

On the beko website here:

https://www.beko.co.uk/frost-free-combi ... 1582-white

it says:

Freezing capacity fresh food (kg /24 hr): 3

My previous Siemens had a fast freeze switch, but I seldom used it. All it did was cause the fridge light to stay on when when the fridge door was shut, which warmed the fridge a bit, thereby causing the compressor to run more frequently. It always struck me as a rather strange way to achieve the desired result, but I guess it was cheap and easy.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » October 11th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Stompa wrote:
My previous Siemens had a fast freeze switch, but I seldom used it. All it did was cause the fridge light to stay on when when the fridge door was shut, ...................................

OK, you've got me, I give up. Er, how did you know? Schrödinger's cat springs to mind. :)

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 11th, 2018, 9:26 pm

panamagold wrote:OK, you've got me, I give up. Er, how did you know? Schrödinger's cat springs to mind. :)

A quick google found the answer, which was confirmed by pressing the door shut button (with the door open) with the fast freeze switch both on and off. I have a vague recollection I also emailed Siemens (goodness knows why!), and they confirmed it.

No quantum mechanics required!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 13th, 2018, 11:26 am

Stompa:

"Freezing capacity fresh food (kg /24 hr): 3"

That's the same as the Lec FF I am considering.

I'm afraid I couldn't follow your comment about the fast freeze switch either. What on earth is a door shut button? Something I don't seem to have on my existing/failing FF.

FWIW I have never had any fogging on the fronts of my freezer drawers or any icing up until recently and it is over 10 years old; I don't know how much over.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 13th, 2018, 11:53 am

Bouleversee wrote:What on earth is a door shut button?

I presume he means the small button that the door pushes in when shut, and that turns the light off. Traditional on fridges for many decades.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 13th, 2018, 11:59 am

Bouleversee wrote:What on earth is a door shut button? Something I don't seem to have on my existing/failing FF.

I suspect door shut button is not the correct term (maybe fridge door switch?), but you probably do have one, but have never noticed it. It's just a button operated by the door of the fridge to automatically turn the fridge light on and off when you open and close the door. When you close the door it physically presses the button in, when you open the door the button pops out.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 13th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Oh, I see. Well, when I pressed the fast freeze switch on mine, it turned the motor on, but now even without the fast freeze switch on, the motor never turns off. I think I am going to have to take a chance on the Lec, albeit without FF, limit the amount I freeze at any one time and hope my kitchen doesn't get too cold in the winter. At least it is guaranteed for 3 years.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » October 13th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Oh groan, my Beko has now started to make fairly loud gurgling noise whenever we close the fridge door. From what I've read online this sort of noise is regarded as 'normal'. Aaargh!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 13th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Stompa wrote:Oh groan, my Beko has now started to make fairly loud gurgling noise whenever we close the fridge door. From what I've read online this sort of noise is regarded as 'normal'. Aaargh!

'Fraid so. We had to warn anyone who stayed in our house not to worry about it.

We've now moved house and have a different Beko which doesn't gurgle, so it's not universal.

Scott.

Return to “Does anyone know?”