Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Best ear-plugs [vs noisy neighbours]

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Best ear-plugs [vs noisy neighbours]

Postby DiamondEcho » October 28th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I've been using these for quite a while, silicone that feels like soft wax, they're way better than the foam-type ones you can be given on flights. https://www.boots.com/boots-pharmaceuti ... s-10112955 3*pairs @ £4.70 from Boots. Out of curiosity I thought I'd x-check versus Ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/sleeping-earplugs 7*pairs @ £2.90 incl P+P, wow.

But going down the page on eBay I also noticed a couple of types I've not considered previously, for example the re-usable silicone 'rubber' ones. Has anyone used those and found them a better than the silcone 'wax' type ones?

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Re: Best ear-plugs [vs noisy neighbours]

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 29th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Not a direct answer to your question, but a suggestion of a possible alternative solution to your problem 'noisy neighbours'.

Have you considered trying to mask the nuisance with background sounds such as white noise? There a few sounds online you can google for eg rain, waterfall, white noise, dryers etc, and experiment to see if they help reduce the nuisance. If the background sound helps, this is a useful device: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AVANTEK-Machin ... B01NBSUCZ0

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 29th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Thanks MNiU, that was unexpected, I've never heard of such a thing before and the reviews seem positive. I'll order one and see how I get on, thx again.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » November 2nd, 2018, 1:22 pm

If you go down the background sound route, then you could also consider using an Amazon Echo Dot or Google Home mini. For a similar price to the device linked to by MNiU you get that plus so much more.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

I've tried pretty much everything over the years on the earplugs for sleeping front and eventually settled on...https://www.superdrug.com/Health/First- ... s/p/390802
Only caveat is they form a very good seal, so only put them in 3/4 of the way.
Comfort wise they have been the only foam solution that I could tolerate whilst sleeping, I think the softness and tapering make a fair bit of difference.

You could get a custom moulded solution with variable db filter inserts if money is not a problem. I had some made about 20 years ago as I was working as a live sound engineer at the time and was concerned about hearing loss/tinnitus.
https://elacin.com/hearing-protection/elacin-er/
I still use them if out and about in noisy social environments.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 2nd, 2018, 4:38 pm

Just a thought.... what if the smoke or carbon monoxide detector goes off while you are sleeping and using earplugs?

--kiloran

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2018, 5:15 pm

kiloran wrote:Just a thought.... what if the smoke or carbon monoxide detector goes off while you are sleeping and using earplugs?

--kiloran

Put a networked SA/CO alarm in the bedroom...

You can still hear them (or I did anyway when the SA battery went low in the middle of the night...), just not at the ear splitting pitch + level they normally achieve. I only have one in the hallway.
Likewise all external noise, it isn't 100% reduction by any stretch.
Psychologically it would be weird if it was, standing in an anechoic chamber is a very strange experience for example.

A perfect storm of heavy sleeper, lots of thick carpet/curtains and heavy closed doors in a large house might make it more of a safety issue, but then neighbour noise would be an unlikely source for the necessity of earplugs in the first place in that kind of acoustic environment.
It's generally flats with plaster partition walls and hard floor surfaces that are the common annoying noise sources these days (my current situation).

Might need to turn the morning alarm clock up a bit though... :D

wydffa

Postby wydffa » November 2nd, 2018, 7:56 pm

My deaf parents each have a vibrating smoke alarm under their pillow. They have been set off by passing taxis' two way radios, do taxis still use these?

Return to “Does anyone know?”