Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

campervan/motorhome DVLA status check?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
earlsgate

campervan/motorhome DVLA status check?

Postby earlsgate » October 12th, 2018, 11:23 am

as per title is there an online way of checking whether a vehicle advertised as a campervan or motorhome, does actually have DVLA status as such. I've tried recently but the DVLA site seems to show less detail than what was available last year(?)

Unfortunately there seem to be plenty of ads where they are using the tag to attract buyers who, potentially like myself, could find themselves with a glorified van with none of the benefits such as cheaper insurance and ferry crossings and with the added burden of getting it properly registered by the DVLA.

Knowing the actual status would also help filter out wasted journeys searching out these vehicles only to find out the log book shows a panel van

TIA

martin

tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: campervan/motorhome DVLA status check?

Postby tea42 » October 12th, 2018, 11:37 am

Why not just ask the seller? You wouldnt actually buy such a vehicle unseen. And when you see the registration document to complete the sale you will see what its status is. Get them to email a photo of the page. My T25 Devon is still a car, the difference in tax is £70 pa and my insurers treat it as a camper. As for the ferries I suspect they will too. Its 40 years old in 2020 so no tax and MOT at my discretion. :D

didds
Lemon Half

Re: campervan/motorhome DVLA status check?

Postby didds » October 12th, 2018, 11:54 am

it is shown on the actual V5 and thus presumably the PTB know what you have. (ah - i see the issue is that you cannot see it yourself)

We have a converted VWT4 as our campervan. Its still registered on the V5 as a liught goods vehicle. AIUI its actually quite trivial to have it re-registered - it just needs some photos showing stuff like storage space and a permanent bed and a permanent table sending to DVLA. Oh - think it also needs windows in the rear portion as well.

Its the table that is our sticking point. We don't ever cook and eat INSIDE the van (though we have a cooker and sink) cos basically it makes the entire van smell of food :-) We use a table outside the van when we cook, possibly with an awning or shelter. Its a case of finding something suitable to photograph that looks like a viable permanent table for the process.

didds

Return to “Does anyone know?”