Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tall buildings next to Woking station

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Tall buildings next to Woking station

Postby redsturgeon » October 13th, 2018, 10:04 am

I took the train into London yesterday and passing Woking station I saw some very tall buildings under construction. Helpfully they had marked the floors on the concrete lift shaft of the tallest and it was about 35 stories high...thats half the height of the Shard, the tallest building in Europe and this is Woking!

Anyone know what these buildings are and why anyone would think to build such things in Woking?

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Tall buildings next to Woking station

Postby Itsallaguess » October 13th, 2018, 10:26 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Anyone know what these buildings are and why anyone would think to build such things in Woking?

It sounds like this project -

A skyscraper, which critics say will act as an "enormous sundial" over the west of Woking, has been granted planning approval.

Developer Prime Place received the go ahead from Woking Borough Council’s planning committee on Tuesday (October 18) to build a 34-storey tower and two smaller towers joined together with a podium and basement in Goldsworth Road.

It will offer 560 residential spaces, offices, a gym, retail and includes highways work to Goldsworth Road.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/woking-towered-over-34-storey-12056078

Artists impression here of the project -

https://i2-prod.getsurrey.co.uk/incoming/article8055640.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS31541625.jpg

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 13th, 2018, 4:58 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Anyone know what these buildings are and why anyone would think to build such things in Woking?

To avoid ruining a nice place.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 13th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

It sounds like this project -

A skyscraper, which critics say will act as an "enormous sundial" over the west of Woking, has been granted planning approval.

Developer Prime Place received the go ahead from Woking Borough Council’s planning committee on Tuesday (October 18) to build a 34-storey tower and two smaller towers joined together with a podium and basement in Goldsworth Road.

It will offer 560 residential spaces, offices, a gym, retail and includes highways work to Goldsworth Road.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/woking-towered-over-34-storey-12056078

Artists impression here of the project -

https://i2-prod.getsurrey.co.uk/incoming/article8055640.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS31541625.jpg

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Well Woking has just had a 2nd premier Inn and so the local hotels are no longer overbooked, so they need to do something to top it up.

But the construction that I saw was not on Goldsworth Road, which is not the road the station is on.
I think that it is on High Street or The Broadway, or possibly Victoria Way. But wherever it is, it has buggered up the traffic round there for over 2 years.

So glad I no longer have to go there.

Slarti

Return to “Does anyone know?”