Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Scam phone call

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Scam phone call

Postby XFool » October 20th, 2018, 10:19 am

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
Raptor wrote:I got a call from them on Saturday (woke me up). Was a UK number, but not enough digits. Began 01427....

As of 1st October "caller id" is free for BT subscribers.

As of 1 Oct, caller id is free for everyone (cannot be charged for directly): it's an ofcom ruling. I'd add a url, but when I tried to post lemonfool said: "You are not approved to post links", but if you Google you should be able to find info.

Thanks for these posts.

I read this thread two days ago and it was the first time I had heard of this! I checked it out, then checked my phone out: no Caller Display.

I had to log on to enable CD on my account and the following day it was working. My SP claims to have let everyone know by email, but I never got it or read it.

Missed this one entirely. :)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 23rd, 2018, 9:21 am

On Saturday I had a similar call allegedly from BT claiming my router was compromised.

I told them I was with Talk Talk (which isn't true).

I've just had an identical call from someone claiming to be from Talk Talk!

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » October 23rd, 2018, 11:13 am

I've reduced nuisance calls by 90%+ ,by activating the answerphone facility. My OGM states that I won't pick up unless a message or number is left but that I'm listening . Friends and family have been warned to announce themselves .

Cold callers don't leave a message , or number as these only make outgoing calls. When I've called some of these numbers the message is " The number you have called has not been recognised . Please hang up. ". What sort of business wouldn't want to be contacted ?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm

DrFfybes wrote:On Saturday I had a similar call allegedly from BT claiming my router was compromised.

I told them I was with Talk Talk (which isn't true).

I've just had an identical call from someone claiming to be from Talk Talk!

Tell them you're with BT. ;)

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » October 23rd, 2018, 3:50 pm

On Saturday I had a similar call allegedly from BT claiming my router was compromised.

I have started getting those. Sometimes they have a digit to press “to speak to the engineer”. I actually did that once and pointed out that that I didn’t have a router, whereupon I she rebuked me for wasting her time, and hung up!

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 28th, 2022, 1:25 pm

I've been getting more scam calls than usual recently, perhaps it's the Spring that brings them out. I've just had a rather bizarre conversation with one:

Usual intro, then:

Scammer: Look at your keyboard, can you see a button on the bottom left hand side that says Ctrl.
Me: Yes.
Scammer: And next to it, what do you see?
Me: A key with a Windows icon.
Scammer: Please press that key and the letter 'R' at the same time.
Me: You know this doesn't work on Linux, don't you?
Scammer: Oh, you use Linux, are you a technician?
Me: Yes
Scammer: I want you to open Task Manager.
Me: I know what you want but Linux doesn't have Task Manager and, no, I'm not going to install Anydesk.
Scammer: OK can you give me some advice on how to take control of people's PCs so I can take their money?
Me: No, I can only suggest you get an honest job and don't steal from people.
Scammer: I can't do that. Are you a good person, have you ever stolen anything from anyone?
Me: No.
Scammer: OK. Have a good day.

RC

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 28th, 2022, 1:46 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Just recently I've received several calls from what superficially looks like a US number - 00127584830 - except there aren't enough digits.

It's a recorded message, saying my broadband is about to be shut down in 4 hours, and that if I want to speak to their technician I should press 1.

Needless to say, I've managed to resist temptation, but I'm intrigued as to what sort of scam it is. I've heard of ones where you are connected to a premium rate phone line, but how would you know whether this was the case? Is there any way of identifying the nature or origin of the scam simply from the phone number or the nature of the message?

You're not alone :lol:
https://who-called.co.uk/Number/3,00127584830

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 28th, 2022, 8:44 pm

I think I may be on a list. The list is headed: 'Do Not Phone These People'

:P

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » April 29th, 2022, 9:59 am

XFool wrote:I think I may be on a list. The list is headed: 'Do Not Phone These People'

I really wish I thought there was a "Do Not Phone These People" list, and I was on it, and if I wasn't, I'd really want to be on it, because I've strung too many of them along and wasted their time. But that would imply a level of organisation that I really think doesn't exist in the boiler rooms that these cold callers inhabit.
On the upside, the level of calls to my honeytrap number seems to be declining, and I think I'm about to achieve my only second ever (!) 0 cold calls month (Yes, I realise that's tempting fate and the floodgates will open from next week!)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 29th, 2022, 10:20 am

I assume you have registered here
I did years ago and get hardly any scam or unsolicited calls
https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/register

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 29th, 2022, 12:48 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
XFool wrote:I think I may be on a list. The list is headed: 'Do Not Phone These People'

I really wish I thought there was a "Do Not Phone These People" list, and I was on it, and if I wasn't, I'd really want to be on it, because I've strung too many of them along and wasted their time. But that would imply a level of organisation that I really think doesn't exist in the boiler rooms that these cold callers inhabit.
On the upside, the level of calls to my honeytrap number seems to be declining, and I think I'm about to achieve my only second ever (!) 0 cold calls month (Yes, I realise that's tempting fate and the floodgates will open from next week!)

"0 cold calls a month" ? I'm on that per year - at least.

I take it you are referring to some kind of business line, which is publicly listed, rather than a private line?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 29th, 2022, 12:57 pm

pje16 wrote:I assume you have registered here
I did years ago and get hardly any scam or unsolicited calls
https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/register

It doesnt make any difference to those who don't care, unfortunately. Obviosly scammers don't care but I've been on the tps for over 20 years and get calls from UK based companies who don't fall into the scammers category but who don't care. When I point out that they shouldn't call because I'm on the tps they usually say 'Our database needs updating' or 'I'll take you off the list', neither of which are to be believed.

RC

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » April 29th, 2022, 1:58 pm

XFool wrote:"0 cold calls a month" ? I'm on that per year - at least.

I take it you are referring to some kind of business line, which is publicly listed, rather than a private line?

It's a residential BT number that was my Mum's. When my Mum died (2013) and we sold her house, I kept her landline number (which was registered on the TPS, and hasn't been given to out to organisatios/individuals since 2013 for obvious reasons) and ported it on to sipgate VOIP (so no cost to keep it). I intended keeping it for a couple of years to mop up any bona fide callers who hadn't updated their records etc (bearing in mind my parents had the number for 70+ years so friends and family of parents and me & my sister etc), and still have the number. Typically, I get about 6 (cold/scam) calls a month recently. However, I didn't get any calls during Feb 2022, and I think I'm about to get a zero calls month again this month (April 2022): that is unusual. I deduce therefore that any calls I get on my Mum's landline (now sipgate) are either random or war dialling, or occasionally I get calls about her shareholdings, so I know they're using old shareholder registers/records (pre 2010 when she moved her shares into a broker nominee) and are managing to tie up the name with a phone number presumably via old records.

Return to “Does anyone know?”