Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Car Windsceen

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
pancake101
Lemon Pip

Car Windsceen

Postby pancake101 » October 29th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I have a chip in the windscreen however before I seek out someone to mend this I want to know about all the other tiny nibbles the windscreen has.
None are in my direct vision that I notice - the new chip is a small back blob on the periphery. Our roads here though meant that the windscreen notched up LOTS of small nibbles,

Is there a point that I replacing the whole windscreen is preferable or indeed a necessity ?

TIA

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Car Windsceen

Postby bungeejumper » October 29th, 2018, 1:10 pm

I've been wondering the same thing. My Toyota's screen is somewhat peppered with tiny stuff, and at this time of year when the sun's low it can cause enough dazzle to be a problem. I am, however, assuming that yours doesn't qualify for replacement under insurance? (It takes a chip of at least a 20p piece, or a longish crack in the wiper-swept area in front of the driver, to merit a new screen at the insurer's expense.)

Google brings up numerous quotes for the whole screen if you think you'll need to pay for it yourself. Some, like Autoglass, won't tell you unless you all but commit yourself to having the job done. But this one commits to some guide prices. (Substitute your own car manufacturer in the URL):

https://www.whocanfixmycar.com/services ... eplacement

Thus, my Auris comes out at £248 fitted, which is a fair bit less than I'd been expecting. I don't know whether that includes VAT (I think it probably must unless specified otherwise?), and I don't know what sorts of add-ons are charged for tints and treatments. So caveat emptor. But it's somewhere to start the search, anyway.

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”