Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dog died where to find puppies?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Dog died where to find puppies?

Postby tlf67482 » November 1st, 2018, 11:35 am

Does anyone know of some good sites that collate people who have puppies for sale?

I know of pets4homes & gumtree (rubbish search) but surely there should be more sites with more people selling puppies considering the number of dog owners?

I can find kennels/puppy farms using Google but wanted to buy from someone where I can at least see the mother.

It has been over two decades since I have had to search for a puppy to buy it was much easier when you got a full page of puppies for sale in the classifieds of the local paper.

Any help appreciated the whole family miss having a dog (especially when we used to have three running around at one point). :cry:

Thanks

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Dog died where to find puppies?

Postby didds » November 1st, 2018, 11:54 am

Checkout the rehoming centres?

Dogs Trust, RSPCA etc etc.

Some are more "user-friendly" than others...

I can also suggest http://www.galway-spca.com/adoptadog.html as something not "obvious".

They send the dogs to you via the Eire-UK greyhound express chap and you arrange details with them and him. We rescused one of our dogs from them. Very nice people.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 1st, 2018, 11:56 am

Just also thought... if you are interested in a collie I know somebody that fosters collies before adoption/rescue by others etc that I could put you in contact with (she would prefer I don;t make her details public )

didds

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 1st, 2018, 1:11 pm

tlf67482 wrote:Does anyone know of some good sites that collate people who have puppies for sale?

I know of pets4homes & gumtree (rubbish search) but surely there should be more sites with more people selling puppies considering the number of dog owners?

I can find kennels/puppy farms using Google but wanted to buy from someone where I can at least see the mother.

It has been over two decades since I have had to search for a puppy to buy it was much easier when you got a full page of puppies for sale in the classifieds of the local paper.

Any help appreciated the whole family miss having a dog (especially when we used to have three running around at one point). :cry:

Thanks

The question is, do you want a specific type of dog or just a pet.

If it must be a specific breed then you can search via the kennel club.

If a pet is what you require then I agree that a rescue dog is a better option.

The are many dog rescue centres in the UK, in fact some are breed specific too.

John

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » November 1st, 2018, 2:25 pm

Thanks for suggestions. I would like a puppy so I suspect these would be quite rare at rehoming centres as they are usually older dogs but I will definitely be searching for some local ones. Looking for a smaller less exercise breed had a collie cross as my first dog but think exercise requirements may be too high. I had come across the Kennel Club but again the list is not that great when you think how high the dog ownership must be and a pedigree is not essential.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » November 1st, 2018, 10:41 pm

I would like a puppy so I suspect these would be quite rare at rehoming centres as they are usually older dogs

Not so. Bitches are often abandoned when noticed to be pregnant by careless and uncaring owners and mothers and pups often dumped when the owner realises how much bother they are and how much they cost to feed and so on, or pups are simply thrown out or left in cardboard boxes at the gates of rescues. Plus, for a variety of genuine reasons sometimes owners find themselves about to be made homeless or sent abroad or marriages break down or what have you when they have a pregnant dog or a dog with pups or even a still young pup without its mother.

Search all the dog rescues and also contact local vets who often try to help in difficult situations.

Also ask yourself if you really must have a puppy? I'm a dog lover (though these days due to arthritis which limits my walking capacity a servant keeper of cats instead of dogs though all the cats are rescues and one of the dogs was too when I had a couple of beagles long ago). Don't assume that you must start with a puppy to be able to train up the pet you want. Rescue dogs are often trained by the rescue or in some cases the ordinary family home which fosters them for the rescue. Rescues respond remarkably once supplied with a good home and owner, in fact they can often be the best of all possible pets because they are so appreciative of a good home. The dog you really want may not be a young puppy but an older puppy or young dog (or even dare I say it an older dog) who is right now sitting in a kennel in a rescue just waiting for that special someone to take them home.

Don't whatever you do buy a puppy online. It will almost certainly be from a puppy farm, probably carrying various diseases and already traumatised by the dreadful life it has lead so far. Never, ever, buy a puppy unless you can see it with its mother and assess the situation in which it has been reared and even then be very very wary. My beloved male beagle came from a very reputable breeder and I saw him and his siblings happily playing in a lovely warm and clean environment, but he was desperately inbred (I didn't know as much then as I do now!) and developed awful medical problems which shortened his life by as much as a third. His companion (and the love of his life - he hated being an only dog) came from the dog pound the day before she would have put down. She was obviously a young beagle, the vet thought she was about 10 months, but I had no other information about her. The dog loved her from the start and accepted her as the dominant dog in the household and followed her faithfully for the rest of his life! The initial few weeks were hard for me though because someone had clearly failed to let her out as often as necessary and then punished her for having accidents - so she'd ask to be out and then wee on the floor in a panic before I could get to the door. But once she realised I was never going to shout at her or hit her and I'd always race to the door to try to open it in time for her, it all settled down and she became a totally clean and reliable dog.

Arfer

Postby Arfer » November 2nd, 2018, 9:04 pm

A full check of an "unknown" dog can cost about £500. This puts a rehomer out of reach for most people.
If you can, I advise and older dog, as its "grown" character is clearer.
We have rescued about 45 dogs, and I am involved with an organization that re-homes dogs.
IF (its a big IF), you can be sure of the health of a dog, just take it AND PUT EFFORT into accepting the dog to your home. Basic health checks should have been done by whoever is rehoming the dog, their reason SHOULD always be non-dog related, ie moving to Australia or serving a long prison sentence!
In 45 rescues, only one failed, but that was because a relative REALLY WANTED that dog. Our last rehomer is on 3 legs, toothless, but is a really feisty, chirpy 12 year old.
Hope this helps.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 5th, 2018, 11:04 am

£500? Blimey! We've rescued four dogs now and none of them have come remotely close to that.

the most expensive was via Dog's Trust, and it was in fact the vets bills (health check and the snip) and the week of food he had already devoured.
Galway rescue dog was under £100 (vets bills and transport), Police pound dog £50 (vet check) and the fourth was "free to a good home".

Maybe we just got lucky!

didds

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » November 20th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I second adopting an older dog. I adopted an 8 year old Staffie cross about a year and a half ago. She’s a lovely dog, very friendly and loving. She had a bit of separation anxiety to begin with but soon made herself at home. She came house trained, with good recall and she had long outgrew the chewing stage. The rescue said she wasn’t to be rehomed with cats or children (presumably as they weren’t sure of her history). However she no longer tries to chase the neighbours cats and has been fabulous with my niece and nephew (she’s very gentle with him), and seems to have taken our new baby in her stride.
There are some brilliant older dogs out there just waiting for a new home.

Return to “Does anyone know?”