Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Annoying content ('''jokes''') from Friend in Facebook feed

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Annoying content ('''jokes''') from Friend in Facebook feed

Postby DiamondEcho » November 2nd, 2018, 5:15 pm

I run a pretty tight ship using Facebook, around two dozen Friends who - wait for it - all all actual friends! :shock: All of us are adult, likely busy and so the volume of posts in my Feed is rarely over say 30 a day.

One of my Friends is a lovely chap but he over-shares stuff that he must enjoy. It's 95% posts containing the lamest of lame '''humour''' that he's sourced from websites like 'I'm not right in the head.com' :roll:

Some of these sites of origin are blockable, I go to the '...' icon to the right of his name, click that icon, and the option can be there to block anything on-linked from the original website. Where that is possible I've blocked all of them. But some sites, like the one above, the only block option is to block my Friend, which would be a shame. Meanwhile his posts make up to 50% of traffic in my Feed on a daily basis. I have Googled for a solution but did not find one.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Annoying content ('''jokes''') from Friend in Facebook feed

Postby JohnB » November 2nd, 2018, 5:29 pm

Facbook Purity addon is good for cutting out cruft https://www.fbpurity.com/install.htm?v=26.0.0. You can always choose to remove his messages for your feed, but stay friends, and not go as far as blocking him

But generally FB is rubbish at filtering the firehouse of stuff

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2018, 5:54 pm

I haven't checked specifically but I'd imagine you could add individual URL's to the custom blocklists of browser extensions like uBlock Origin, Ghostery et al.
Might be more difficult on phones though as they are generally app based where there's less user control than with desktop browsers.
Android is a tricky one for example (without going into root and adding hosts file).

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 2nd, 2018, 5:57 pm

Tell him to stop it?

Block I'm not right in the head.com in your spam blocker or Hosts list?

Can you set up rules in Facebook, like in emails? If so, set one up to auto-delete any messages containing 'I'm not right in the head.com

Slarti

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 2nd, 2018, 6:10 pm

Does he ever post anything useful?
You can remove a friend from your timeline without un-friending them.
You would still be able to visit his timeline if you wanted to look at the guff.

Gryff

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2018, 6:20 pm

I generally use the 30 day mute function in FB for friends who post too much cr*p to their timelines. Repeat as needed.
Acquaintances that do it continually get the full block.
Anything important they can use IM/SMS/email to inform me.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 2nd, 2018, 8:19 pm

Infrasonic wrote:I generally use the 30 day mute function in FB for friends who post too much cr*p to their timelines. Repeat as needed.
Acquaintances that do it continually get the full block.
Anything important they can use IM/SMS/email to inform me.

Sounds good but I don't see this function. If I search on 'mute' I get 8 hits but none that look like what you describe suggests...
https://www.facebook.com/help/search?qu ... contextual That's my URL, I wonder what you see?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm

gryffron wrote:Does he ever post anything useful? You can remove a friend from your timeline without un-friending them. You would still be able to visit his timeline if you wanted to look at the guff. Gryff

Yes he does post some interesting/useful stuff, but the proportion of it does seem to have dropped off quite markedly of late. I did make an observation to him a short while back that I find the volume of '''jokes''' he posts quite a PITA, but then 'he has 275 Friends versus my c25'; so he perhaps just thinks I'm a sad-sack on/with social media. The reality is I'm busy and use FB as a quick simple channel of comms and grown-up sharing with real friends, rather than to wade through acres of crap humour shared by someone who has Friended 'everyone I've ever met'.

We go a long way back and in-person he's a lovely guy. I'll use FBP as suggested by Infra above and see if I can filter his posts better. I have used it before on another machine so I have seen it work. I'll also consider timing him out on a repeating basis if necessary if I can find where that option is.

Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll get there!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 3rd, 2018, 2:51 pm

On both the FB mobile app and the desktop browser version go to the three dots in the top right hand corner of the individuals posts, third menu option down is 'snooze (contacts name) for 30 days'.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 5th, 2018, 10:59 am

unfollow him and tell him you wont; see his stuff on FB any longer so anything you need to directly interact with please use FB messenger or email?

seems you have a rock and a hard place scenario.

didds

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 5th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Infrasonic wrote:On both the FB mobile app and the desktop browser version go to the three dots in the top right hand corner of the individuals posts, third menu option down is 'snooze (contacts name) for 30 days'.

Sounds very useful if it existed for me, but when I do that all I see on the drop-down from '...', and specifically at 3 options down is 'Unfollow' the writer. I see no suggestions of a time-out option. Any clues why that might be?
[Windows-10, 'desktop' access into FB].

Return to “Does anyone know?”